This is a bit of a strange question, but my finger callouses don't cover the entire tips of my fingers but instead are usually concentrated on one part of my fingertips. Normally that isn't much of a problem since that is typically the part of my finger that I fret with. The problem comes in where I do a different technique (like practicing slap licks) where releasing the string either gets hung up on an edge of the callous or on a bad day catches an edge and starts to slice a bit of it off. I'm not complaining about anything from a pain perspective, but it does make some techniques tough to pull off.

Any similar experiences or insights on this topic?
Same thing here, but mine aren't so manly/huge as to have the strings catch on them.

Callouses build up the same way, regardless of location, so my advice: practice those kinds of things more often. Heavier gauge strings/more string tension also help (the harder you have to push down to fret something, the better), so try to practice a bit with an acoustic if possible.
Quote by HorizonShadow
Just eat the headstock.

That'll make you look mad.
Yeah, I get that too. Sometimes I take the edge off with a piece of fine sandpaper.
mine only build up on the left side of my right fingers (i'm lefty). it's all in your technique. i tend to hold my hand at an angle, whereas some others hold their hands perpendicular to the neck.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
That's a pretty common affliction. As you learn you tend to build habits on how/where you fret the strings. However, even as annoying as they are in your case, you can use them as a learning tool. Where they form tells you where and how you fret. Generally speaking, you want them to be pretty close to the center of the tip, which shows that you're fretting with the point of your finger that allows you to exert the most force with the least effort.

As far as them getting in the way, I agree with Athetosis in that if you practice those techniques more often, the callouses will "conform" to the new techniques in that the strings will rub away the rough edges that are giving you issue after a while. If they're extremely obnoxious, you can try sandpaper like bob56 said.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Good insights thanks.

My callouses are typically not on the center of the tip, which is something I need to work on. The way I've been fretting the strings have definitely has a negative impact on controlling vibrato - the callouses give me a pretty visual clue as to where I'm falling down.