What is the proper way to spell out scales? can you have more than one letter name or not?
Ok that is what I thought.. In guitar pro the scales tool lists the scales as having
sharps when they should be flats and I keep seeing common scales online
with the same note names..
it lists c# as C# D# F F# G# A# C shouldnt it be listed as a Db scale?

same with D#... D# F G G# A# C D wouldnt that be Eb?

why do they spell them out this way?
Last edited by newguitars08 at Sep 18, 2008,
C # is ok...c # has the same amount of sharps as Db has flats. But the D # should be Eb. I have no idea why Guitar Pro does this. Maybe whoever wrote it wasnt up on their theory lol.
Andy
Quote by Andy_Mclaughlan
C # is ok...c # has the same amount of sharps as Db has flats.

No it doesn't. C# major has 7 sharps, Db major has 5 flats.
Those 2 scales are wrong.
C# is C# D# E# F# G# A# B#.
D# is D# E# Fx G# A# B# Cx
Quote by gonzaw
Fx is naughty, I prefer G....

Well, guess what, it's wrong. It's F double sharp.
Quote by slayerfrk
the chromatic scale has repeated letter like a a# b b# c c# ect

That's because the chromatic scale is not a diatonic scale, so that sort of nomenclature is acceptable.
Quote by CanCan
Well, guess what, it's wrong. It's F double sharp.

Hmmm....
.....I know

Quote by TheShred201
On a side note regarding chromatic scales, ascending it's written with all sharps and descending it's with all flats, correct?

I think there is a special way of writting it, which applies for equal temperament, and other tuning systems as well...
I can't remember it though, but I think the unison, fifth, and others were not altered....
Last edited by gonzaw at Sep 18, 2008,
Quote by gonzaw
Fx is naughty, I prefer G....

You have to use F double sharp sometimes. For instance, if you wanted a D sharp major chord.

Quote by TheShred201
On a side note regarding chromatic scales, ascending it's written with all sharps and descending it's with all flats, correct?

Yes.