Hi guys.

I'm building a neck, it's my third one, so i'm not a total noob, but i have a question about the neck taper.

On my strat, the width at the last fret is 55mm, and on the three necks i made before (with TOM's) were also 55mm, and they were perfect.

The problem i have is that i bought a different TOM this time, so instead of the E to e being 49mm like the previous Tom's, this one is 52mm.

Obviously i want even spacing either side of the E strings, and i don't want strings too close to the edge of the fretboard, so my question is this.....

Has anyone else encountered this, and if so, what did you do about it?

It's kinda hard for me to imagine that you'd just use the 55mm standard taper and lose some space either side of the fretboard, but i'll see what you guys have to say about it.
It's for a custom, so a new taper template isn't going to be a problem for me to make.

Thanks for your time and any info.
My Sig Is Coming Soon
Thanks for the reply Mintsauce.

I don't know why my previous TOMs were 49 then, must be a cheaper alternative if 52mm is the standard. So are all your TOM-ed guitars 55mm at the last fret?
My Sig Is Coming Soon
I would contact UGer 'ZEROYON'. He's currently attending the guitar building school at Musician's Institute and can probably give you some answers to this.
Moving on.....
Yeah, that's a good idea KenG.

In the meantime, if anyone has a Gibson or Epiphone and fancies taking the two measurements for me, i'll love you forever.
My Sig Is Coming Soon
52mm and 55mm on my epi

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
All of my 24.75" scale guitars with ToMs have 43mm nuts and the boards are tapered to 55/56mm at the bridge end.

My RR24 that I've been building is 25.5" with a ToM, and the board tapers from 42mm to 52mm - and that's about as thin as I could imagine ever going.

My Tonepros and import Nashville-style TOMs all have 52mm saddle spacing.
That's great guys, thanks for your time and info, problem solved, carry on!
My Sig Is Coming Soon