well i've been looking for a guitar amp for some time and i was wandering how loud should an amp be in order to stand up (in volume) to a drum kit, assuming the drummer wont go nuts and hit the damn thing until they break

can anyone tell me how many watts are required?

pd: i want to buy a solid state combo, how many watts for that?
pd2: would a vox ad30vt do the job?

thank in advance
You'd need 100 watts SS.

And no, the Vox wouldn't do the job.

May I ask why you want to go SS and what you play?
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
You'd need 100 watts SS.
Nope, my crap Fender Frontman 15R (15W) is loud enough if I crank it...
get a 15-30 watt tube combo and ur set.
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Quote by Poglia

And your Fender Frontman 15 watt sounds like shit if you crank it.

He's talking about a mental drummer. You don't want to push an SS amp too hard or it starts to go to pieces, hence 100 watts makes sense as you will have enough headroom to get the volume up high enough to get over the drums without it clipping.

My Music
first of all, i play mainly old rock ac/dc, led zeppelin, etc. and sometimes some iron maiden and metallica, but i like the clean sound too, so it's kind of a lot to cover for an amp, thats why a went with the vox. can you suggest me something else? tubes maybe?

thanks
Quote by Poglia

wow im curious to hear what the sounds like. im a masochist :0
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by rbusta
first of all, i play mainly old rock ac/dc, led zeppelin, etc. and sometimes some iron maiden and metallica, but i like the clean sound too, so it's kind of a lot to cover for an amp, thats why a went with the vox. can you suggest me something else? tubes maybe?

thanks

Well, for the classic rock stuff, the first things that spring to mind are the Peavey Classics and Laney VCs. But the Metallica and Maiden throws a spanner in the works, you could probably push the Classic 30/50 enough for Maiden with an overdrive, but it might struggle to get the right voicing for anything heavier.

If Metallica is the heaviest you go, and you are mainly playing with that British OD sound (and of course cleans) then I'd be inclined to go with the C30 + and overdrive pedal. But if you like to venture into other areas that demand a more modern tone, perhaps the vox or a similar modelling amp would be a good idea. It all comes down to what you need out of the amp tonally.

My Music
Not knowing a budget I would say a Traynor YCV50 blue would suit what you play pretty well. Timi is right, try the Classic 30 as well.
www.ceriatone.com

get the amp i have it owns for everything you wanna play
Gear:
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Quote by timi_hendrix
You'd need 100 watts SS.

And no, the Vox wouldn't do the job.

May I ask why you want to go SS and what you play?

that's ridiculous, you'll make it with 30 watt ss.
there is a thread here somewhere with a good guideline on how many watts
you need with an ss or an tube amp.
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
well now i'm more inclined to the tubes, but the prices are a bit high. are the good versatile all-tube amps in the range of 400 (US$)?, i saw a valveking 112 in $400, are those good?
valvekings are the poor mans tube amp.

you will eventually want to upgrade it. so it isnt even worth buying

spend 1000 and get something you will use for years.
Gear:
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Quote by Farether
that's ridiculous, you'll make it with 30 watt ss.
there is a thread here somewhere with a good guideline on how many watts
you need with an ss or an tube amp.

I gigged regularly, with a 100 watt SS 1x12 combo, and I had to get it up almost to the point where it would start clipping, and that was with a wimpy drummer. I used 15 watt SS combos to practice with at college, and they didn't cut it. Volume wise, yes, tone wise, God no, they had to go up far too high on the volume knob and so they sounded like crap.

My Music
Quote by D Man
One of the differences between valve and SS amps is valves sound louder to the human ear (they aren?t actually any louder they just sound it).

As a rule we have for SS:

10-30W: practice on your own.
30-50W: practice with a band or recording.
50 to 100W (or more): Gigs (as much wattage as you ever need)

And for valves:

<20W: practice on your own
20-30W Band practice/Recording
30-50W Gigging.
>50W Hearing damage.

Note there are overlaps because you can use any given wattage of amp at different volumes and for different purposes (!).

Stickies
Quote by maiden_mexico
valvekings are the poor mans tube amp.

you will eventually want to upgrade it. so it isnt even worth buying

spend 1000 and get something you will use for years.

I don't know where to start with those comments.

What is the used gear market like in Chile? Can you check local shops for used amps?
The VK is ok, for the money it's a pretty good amp - but when you compare buying new to buying used - better options appear in that price range. The YCV50 used goes for $400-450 in the US, but in Chile? Check your local shops, call around. (Not specifically for the YCV50, but for some used tube amps in general around 30 watts, Classic 30, Fender Hot Rod series, etc) See what's available and compile a list to work from.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Sep 18, 2008,
Depends on the room you're jamming in, and how loud the drummer hits the drums.
Big room/loud drummer= Louder amp needed to cut through.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by Poglia

clips please

and like asked, budget and what's have you seen available in your area.

edit: if you're looking at the vox ad30, can you stretch it to the ad50?
that should be enough to last you a while on your budget. (if you're looking at ss)
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Sep 18, 2008,
Quote by jj1565

edit: if you're looking at the vox ad30, can you stretch it to the ad50?
that should be enough to last you a while on your budget. (if you're looking at ss)

This.

Mine was loud enough to be at 11:00 with 2 other guitarists, a drummer, a bassist and a horn player.

Just saying.
i will research a little more and of course here in chile the musical instruments market is a lot smaller, thing that i hate.

i'll look into some tube amps and the ones that you've recommended me and save some more money

thank you all for your answers