I am just getting back into guitar after a few years break, so my Schecter C1-Plus has not seen much if any use in the past 5 years. A couple weeks ago, I strung her up with some new strings of a different gauge and have been going through the steps trying to get her correctly setup.

I went from 10s to 12s (specifically DR Legend Flat Wound 12 16 24 32 42 52). No matter what I try I get fret buzz on the low E starting about the 6th fret. I have tried various reliefs from (.008, .010, .013) and still no go. Currently I am at .013 relief with an action of 7/64 on the low E and 4/64 on the high E and still getting some slight buzz on the low E and only the low E. Okay occasionally on the A but that seems completely related to my crappy playing.

For the truss rod adjustment I have been using the instruction on projectguitar.com. I will set the relief wait a day, retune, reset the intonation and then play to find out the fret buzz is still there. Just to clarify this is a slight buzz nothing major but still fret buzzing.

A couple of things I am wondering:

a) if such a heavy low e in the DRs is the culprit and I might even higher action to offset them

b) throwing on a set of 9s which I happen to have laying around and resetting up to see what happens.

c) do I need to wait longer when setting the relief before check for fret buzz? I search various sites and got different opinions on how long to wait after making a truss rod adjustment

Also open to any other suggestions to try.
what's your tuning ? that's some heavy gauge .

try raising the action a little bit higher , that's what I would do .. or take it to a shop
Sometimes when you jump gauges you need to adjust the bridge. Raising and lowering it, adjust the little screws to slightly increase the scale length for each string, and most guitars are set up for 9s or 10s at the nut so if the gauges don't fit right it could cause buzz. Just check out and adjust those things and you should be able to fix it.
i used to have a C1+ you've got a nice guitar there. and 12s should be ok.
tune up to your usual then,

measure the middle relief. (sorry if this is repeating things for you, i need an idea of where you are)

fret the Low E first fret, at the same time,
fret the Low E last fret where the neck and body meet.

with both places held look at the middle frets, 7-9th

if the string lays on the fret wire there you dont have enough gap
if the string is more than a credit cards thickness up from the wire there you could have too much.

measure and repost

also, it's important to know WHERE the buzz is. what strings, what frets.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Thanks for all the quick replies. As to the questions posted.

Woozye: Using standard E tuning. Yeah the strings are pretty heavy. I tried them on a whim. Love the feel of the flat wounds. Taking her to a shop is last resort as there is only one music store in my area and I barely trust them to sell me picks. Driving 2-3 hours into LA is not something I really want to do if I do not have to.

vR3APERv: I have adjusted the bridge for the action and the saddles for intonation. I started out with a 4/64 action on the low E. That was some fun buzzing With every relief I tried I would always go back and readjust the bridge as needed.

jj1565: I have done the truss rod adjustment by the instruction on projectguitar.com using a steel square and feeler gauge. If it will help you in figuring out my issue, I have no problem using your procedure. I can post up result tonight when I get home from work.
ok zombie i'll check back.

i've bee running the guitar setup thread for a long while now, if you want to flip thru it, see how it usually goes, the link is in my sig.

i like project guitar to a point. but if you want to keep those strings then measure, repost, let me know where the string is and if you can isolate the buzzing.

Jen
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Less than a credit card thickness at the 7th to 9th frets. Not much though as the string only move slightly as I push a cc under.

Th fret buzz is only on the low E starts around the 7th to 9th fret, varies with how hard I pick and stops between the 12th and 14th.
i would turn the truss rod counter clockwise 1/8- 1/4".

without forcing the turn, then leave the guitar in tune while it rests.

you need more room for the string.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

12's with standard E is killer IMO. I'd probably try something lighter. JMO.
Thanks Jen, I will give that a try.

caraluzzo, I have been thinking of doing just that.
^yeah, if you go lighter, please swap one string at a time, your neck needs the break.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
^yeah, if you go lighter, please swap one string at a time, your neck needs the break.

but my neck is not sore

No worries I am not giving up on the 12s just yet as I really like the feel and tone to them.
Still no luck. I have to have a pretty high action to completely get rid of the fret buzz on the low e. I am going to try a lighter gauge string and see what happens then. I have also emailed Schecter to get the specs for their factory setup on the guitar. Maybe the action was a bit higher than I remember.

I am also wondering if part of it is that I am picking too hard. I do notice that if I play "lighter" there is no fret buzz.
if you go with a lighter gauge then the neck will relax more and you'll need to adjust the neck even more.

i think you just dont have enough relief.

when you measure it now, what's it at?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

.015 inch feeler will slide under a metal ruler placed along the middle of the neck. I did not measure any higher as I could feel just a little bit of friction so it is probably not more than .016.
well yeah, approximately .010” or 0.25mm, is my personal guide. i just usually get varying measurements from guys, and i pretty much hoped yours was just off as well. doesnt seem the case now.

that's about a credit card. or a couple of medium picks. in your case a feeler gauge.

so let me ask, do you think there's a high fret messing up the action?
does the buzz transmit thru the amp?
is there a kink in the string?

because something is giong on here.

the action on my schecter wasnt "super low" but it was definately a comfortable low.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

It is possible a fret is messing things up but I honestly do not know how to narrow it down to that.

Kinked string I doubt it as the strings are new but it is not impossible.

Amp? What's that? I am currently using Main Stage on my Mac to jam out and never turn it up too loud being an apartment dweller. I have not noticed the buzz coming through though.
well, on electric guitars, buzzing not transmitted thru an amp is generally Not considered a problem.

they are meant to played thru an amp.
almost all my guitars have some acousitc buzz. especially the Low E.

none of them transmit that buzz thru the amp.

do you think that might be part of the problem here?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

The problem actually being me being overly picky? Never

I have never had a guitar with any fret buzz. Maybe I have just gotten lucky or my memory is really getting bad in my old age. Either way I was thinking about it last night and I am just going to get it to the best spot I can and not worry about it. I would much rather spend the time getting my chops into shape than constantly tweaking the setup.

I do greatly appreciate all of your help, Jen. You rock.
haha ok you rock too.

hope it goes well.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62