Page 1 of 2
Any of you ever done this? I have my first gig ever at a bar tonight, but our drummer is a pro and the amount of money we're getting will just piss him off, so we're purposely playing without him. I'm scared. Never played bass with a band with no drummer before.
What a stupid idea.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe Reissue -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner -> Boss PS-5 -> EHX Big Muff -> MXR EVH Phase 90 -> Menatone Pleasure Trem 5000 -> Line 6 Verbzilla -> MXR Carbon Copy -> Boss RC-2 -> Peavey Classic 50
We won't even have a practice if our drummer doesn't turn up. Doesn't even matter if our singer (who's room we practice in) isn't there... if the drummer isn't, then it doesn't happen.

Your songs will sound empty and weird, I am sure of this. And so what if the drummer is a pro? You shouldn't have been stupid enough not to tell him about the gig- a gig is not about money, it's about a group of people having fun and allowing an audience of people into that. Chances are, he would've loved playing that gig, but you lot have just gone and spoilt that for him.
You're an idiot. Stop being stupid and play the gig with your drummer.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Yeh I saw a band once do a gig without a drummer...well I didnt see the whole gig, think i managed the first song But seriously, not a good idea
My gear:

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson Les Paul Studio
PRS McCarty 10 Top
+more
JCM900 Head and 1960B
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
MXR ZW-44
Korg Pitchblack
Small Clone
Boss GE-7

Check my band
www.suicideblonderocks.co.uk
depends
if youre a techno band no one will no the difference
if you play any other music than techno then you're f*****
just an all around HORRIBLE idea....its sure to piss off your drummer too if he finds out you ditched him...
Quote by evening_crow
As far as i know the only liquor that should not be stored after opened is wine, and even then it's mainly the french one. American wine usually has conservatives in it to stop this.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Your songs will sound empty and weird, I am sure of this.

That's what I'm thinking, but what do I know.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
And so what if the drummer is a pro? You shouldn't have been stupid enough not to tell him about the gig- a gig is not about money, it's about a group of people having fun and allowing an audience of people into that. Chances are, he would've loved playing that gig, but you lot have just gone and spoilt that for him.

Wasn't my idea. I'd love to have him along. Everybody knows he expects at least $100 a gig though. The other folks are alot more seasoned than me. It started off being an acoustic duo. The singer and guitarist were only getting $125 just for them so this bar could test them out. Then that turned into "well if you're going to help us set up and we're hauling all this equipment, why don't you just plan on playing with us?".

I'm afraid that the drummer will find out about it and take it the wrong way, just like you say. I don't know what to do.
that's like playing football without a quarteback, or hockey without a goalie

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
I've played gis without a drummer before, mainly because we never had one, but we made due with a drum machine
JordanFlayer uses:

Fender and Yamaha Guitars
Ernie Ball .11-.54 Strings
Marshall and Peavey Amps
MXR Pedals
Fender Medium Picks

Number 45 of the Iron Maiden are Gods club- 'PM Revelations to join

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/map /

If I were the drummer and I found out, I would be seriously pissed off and probably wouldn't wish to play drums for that band any longer.
Of course he'll take it the wrong way if he finds out. It's a slap in the face, the other band members assuming that he's more for the money than the music. If I were you, I'd ring him up right now and ask him to play. I know I'd be absolutely livid if I was left out of a gig.
I am going to throw out a reason that no one has hit on yet.

I have done this with a jazz guitarist in a restaurant gig. To slip into vernacular, its bloody hard. Really hard. Extremely hard.

The fact of the matter is you are the rhythm section. If you are not completely and absolutely in the pocket 100% of the time, its not only going to sound empty its going to sound like a train wreck. It was the most stressful performance experience I have ever done and its not fun. I made the guitarist get a drummer for the next gig.

You could get a drum machine (which to me sounds rather souless at best) but be prepared to have your drummer quit outright. I know my husband would be appalled to find out that a band replaced him for a gig with a drum machine.

Have you actually asked him to play yet? If not, do so. If he declines, then look at other options, including having another drummer sit in for this one gig.
Quote by Joe4/4/1992
depends
if youre a techno band no one will no the difference
if you play any other music than techno then you're f*****

They don't have drums in techno music, most is sampled. I know someone will say, 'it takes no talent though', but it does to make it sound decent.

Anyways, waffleing aside, USE THE DRUMMER. If he cares so much about the money, tell him to fuck off, there's no point having him in there.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
I just spoke to him, the guitarist had already told him about it and asked if he was interested, but he said he's got a test tomorrow and has to study for it.

Probable translation: there's not enough money involved.
Money shouldn't even be a part of a band, maybe if its used for paying for practice/recording sessions but it shouldn't be a reason for one guy not to play. If I were you I'd find a new drummer, he might be a 'pro' but if you have a guy who's just average who has his heart on it and doesn't care about getting a lousy $100 for a gig. I've only been paid for one gig and that was like £60 for all four of us, and that went on drinks and petrol!
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Quote by Rywad
Money shouldn't even be a part of a band, maybe if its used for paying for practice/recording sessions but it shouldn't be a reason for one guy not to play. If I were you I'd find a new drummer, he might be a 'pro' but if you have a guy who's just average who has his heart on it and doesn't care about getting a lousy $100 for a gig. I've only been paid for one gig and that was like £60 for all four of us, and that went on drinks and petrol!

I kind of agree. I mean, I understand where he's coming from though, but it sucks for guys like me who are just happy to have an opportunity to play at a nice place. He's got multiple bands trying to pull him in, and even though this is a small area and not a big city, the better bands around here are making an average of $800 a night.
Quote by Rywad
I've only been paid for one gig and that was like £60 for all four of us, and that went on drinks and petrol!

Hell yes, that's what being in a band is about!

God, I need to get into another band...
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Drummers are annoyingly hard to get, and are often very arrogant. I remember when I was in high school, we had a terrible fiasco with keeping a drummer, we ended basically having to "borrow" drummers for important gigs...it really sucks.

If the drummer is in it for the money, get a new drummer.

Unless you are doing nothing but acoustic ballads, do NOT do a gig without a drummer. We did once as a two-piece, it sounded TERRIBLE. Like, I mean, ridiculously bad. Don't do it.
I wouldnt attempt a gig without a drummer maybe with a drum machine at a stretch
but even that woud be crap. If our drumer doesnt show for a practice we (the guitarists) normally get to gether and work on the details of our songs or just write some new ones
Your drummer is an asshole. Expecially at the small venue you don't do it for the money.

Verdict: Tell your drummer he isn't Neal Peart, so he ins't going to be making money as a musician any time soon and so should play. Alternatively find another drummer.
Quote by Anjohl
Drummers are annoyingly hard to get, and are often very arrogant.

Lol, you know that's what a good deal of guitarists say about us bass players...

But seriously

No one should go into the music business to make tonnes of money. Rick (83LesPaulStudio) said it while back, as a gigging musician you are going to spend years in small venues, in less than ideal transportation, eating really bad food and staying in bad hostels/motels etc. And maybe clear enough to pay the rent and eat rice and beans and pb and js.

My former bass teacher once said that you should never turn down any gig, unless it was totally untenable to you as musician. As a bass player, I've played gigs that literally just covered my coffee consumption at work for a week aka tip jars. I've played with people worse than me and light years better than me. And I think its made me a much better player.

Your drummer sounds like he's channeling far too much of the ghost of Buddy Rich. Tell him you are finding a new drummer if he doesn't have the time of day for the gigs. And drummers are not that rare btw.
Quote by anarkee
And drummers are not that rare btw.
Unless you're in a college town...n
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
I was talking to Nick about this offline tonight, but where I live you can trip over drummers every few feet (along with guitarists). I swear there at least two official drum circles a week and then the annoying one down by the Farmer's market, where no one seems to be able to keep a consistent beat more than 30 seconds.
The good news is that the video game Rock Band is going to have a lot more people beating the skins.

Do peopel say Bass players are hard to find? I assumed that picking up the bass would make it easy to join a band if I saw fit, but I didn't think they were scarce.
drummer
CANNIBAL CORPSE

When the silence is gone, what have we become?
I keep getting offers from my drummer to swap places for a gig, he loves the bass. But I always end up refusing cause I can't play drums I might have a go when we next meet up.

People have told me that bassists are hard to find but I think thats all down to bassists compared to guitarists, in my college theres a good 25 guitarists and only like 8ish bassists. In that situation I agree but there are quite a few of us around.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Quote by Jiimy
What kind of "pro" drummer won't play a gig because he has a test? If he's such a "pro" why is he in school?

Most full time pros in Nashville are actually poor as hell. There's a handful that are wildly successful. The rest play for next to nothing. They're there for the love of it and the hope of breaking through, but once you get tired of that, you move out of town and find a real job.
Well, we got through it, we found another drummer, a guy we used to play with up until a few months ago. It was a friggin train wreck though. The singer wouldn't pay attention to the drummer, she kept getting WAY off. She had no idea what song was going to be played next, had no setlist, so in between every song there would be a discussion or argument about what would be played next, the tempo, the chords, etc. She was playing songs I had never heard before. She didn't think I was good enough so she brought her shitty playing husband in for backup. I let him play my bass, but apparently even after supposedly playing for 20 years, he didn't know how a 5-string worked, so nearly every note was wrong. The singer and drummer both was drunk by the end of the night so it just fell to pieces. The songs we did know was played at a different tempo and key than usual so she kept hitting the wrong notes in the wrong places. The singer bought drinks for herself, and her husband, and her sister who did nothing, all night, ran up a $65 bar tab then took that off of the total profit.

So anyway. I made $20. It paid for the guitar stand I bought for the night.

Then I quit. Life's too short for bullshit. I'm glad I did it though, was kind of like closure on a period of my life. I play with some other dudes and will still jam with the guitarist so it's no big thing.
Last edited by corndogggy at Sep 19, 2008,
Quote by corndogggy
Most full time pros in Nashville are actually poor as hell. There's a handful that are wildly successful. The rest play for next to nothing. They're there for the love of it and the hope of breaking through, but once you get tired of that, you move out of town and find a real job.

Yes but you are missing my point, "pro" implies that he makes his living off solely off of playing music. I am saying that people you call pros aren't pros. I am saying you are on the internet making posts and being hip.
Quote by Jiimy
Yes but you are missing my point, "pro" implies that he makes his living off solely off of playing music. I am saying that people you call pros aren't pros. I am saying you are on the internet making posts and being hip.

Er, ok. I'm not sure how saying that our gig was an absolute train wreck is trying to be hip.

As for the drummer, he was a pro in Nashville, half the time he was playing, half the time he was a part time traveling rep for BMG. He was the guy that negotiated contracts for bands playing at middle sized clubs then made sure they were paid afterwards. Apparently after the economy started taking hits not too long ago, the money just wasn't there, plus some club owners started getting pissy, even refused to pay at all then threatened his life when he showed up to collect. So, at 38, he moved out of town and switch careers to physical therapy to get into sports medicine, that's why he's in school.

If any of this is an attempt to sound hip online, I'm doing it wrong.
Page 1 of 2