I'll do my best to explain this from memory, although I went to a realllly good concert after it happened so I'm a little bit foggy. I'll have my camera home tonight for video clips.

Anyway, yesterday I went to play some guitar after work.

So I setup my Epi VJ, V3 combo. Inline to a fulltone OCD then a Line6 DL4, then to my guitar.

When I have the OCD on bypass, I hear the guitar just fine. When I step on the pedal, I get almost nothing. I say almost because if I fool with the knobs I can occasionally get some sort of oscilliscope type noise, but nothing related to the guitar. It does this with or without a guitar plugged in...

So first I think...WTF! The pedal is about a week old, straight from Fulltone. So I swap the battery thinking that might be the culprit. No dice.

So I remove everything and put the guitar straight in the amp. Works fine.

If I cable from the amp to OCD, then OCD to guitar, the same noises happen.

I tried swapping cables and guitars, same thing.

So at this point I'm thinking my OCD is fvcked right? Well...

So I remove the OCD and just cable the amp->DL4->guitar... SAME PROBLEM! If I have it on bypass it's fine, but when I try to use any of the effects I get essentially nothing. This is running on power supply for the record.

So. Best I can tell, both pedals are broken, and they broke at the same time? How could this be possible?

Unfortunately I don't have other pedals or amps easily available to do more testing.

YOUR THOUGHTS!

I hope this wasn't confusing. I can take video after work to help clarify.

Thanks in advance.

-James
well the only thing thats left to check is your cables - do that!

its pretty unlikely that both your pedals will be broken at the same time and the same way...

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by hendriko
well the only thing thats left to check is your cables - do that!

its pretty unlikely that both your pedals will be broken at the same time and the same way...

As I said in the long and probably confusing first post... I swapped cables and guitars, still had the same effect.

The only thing I haven't tried are:

a) different pedals

b) different amps

because I don't have either of those things at home right now.

Any more thoughts?

-J
Hmm, so I may not have properly tested all my cables now that I think about it. But I can. I have 3 cables, so

To isolate cable A, I'll use cables B and C.
To isolate cable B, I'll use cables A and C.
To isolate cable C, I'll use cables A and B.

Although I still feel like it has to be the pedals, no matter how unlikely. Because both pedals work when in bypass, but not when the effects are turned on. Doesn't that imply that the cables are fine? I figured cable function is essentialy binary, right?

Is it possible to have damaged two pedals at the same time? If so, I think I'm going to cry a little...

-J
Isolate the cables, and if you don't get anything, take the pedals up to a store and just ask to test them on one of their amps.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
Isolate the cables, and if you don't get anything, take the pedals up to a store and just ask to test them on one of their amps.

I was thinking I'll have to bring the pedals and the VJ somewhere. I just can't believe something like that could happen!

Has anyone ever heard of multiple pedals failing at the same time?

-J
What kind of powersupply are they running on?
Quote by Kevin Saale
What kind of powersupply are they running on?

As I said in the first post...

Fulltone OCD: I got this pedal last week, new from Fulltone.

The OCD is on 9VDC (battery). I swapped the battery to a brand new duracell with no change.

Line6 DL4: I've been using it for ~6 years without issue.

The Line 6 DL4 is running on it's AC power supply.
Durr, I read right over it. You try plugging your amp in somewhere else in the house?
Quote by Kevin Saale
Durr, I read right over it. You try plugging your amp in somewhere else in the house?

Happens to the best of us, sorry if I came off snarky about it.

I'm stuck at work all day thinking about it, but when I get home I'm going to try whatever I can. I just remembered my neighbor does have a bass amp I can try as well. So I can try cables, outlets, and amps. After that, it comes down to the pedals!

The fulltone is warrantied, but the DL4 isn't. If I somehow fried them both at once, without doing anything... I'll be quite sad!

-J
I don't think it's the pedals. I can see the dl4 getting fried, because it runs on AC and those aren't known to be entirely bullet proof, but the OCD on batteries, that strange. You said you were getting oscillation too? Maybe something in your guitar's wiring.
Quote by Kevin Saale
I don't think it's the pedals. I can see the dl4 getting fried, because it runs on AC and those aren't known to be entirely bullet proof, but the OCD on batteries, that strange. You said you were getting oscillation too? Maybe something in your guitar's wiring.

edit: I think I know what's broken. I'll update tomorrow.
that's interesting... i'm not sure to be honest. i'd have said cables, but then you said it worked when you had the fx bypassed. i'll wait for the update!
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?