I see terms like this thrown around a lot, and it got me thinking.

"Pro equipment."

What determines a pro guitar (or any equipment)? I've had someone tell me once, "Wow, you've got a lot of pro gear!" I've also heard, "Wait till you get your hands on some professional equipment..." (insinuating that some of my stuff is NOT "pro."

Now, I'm not wondering about my OWN equipment and whether it's pro or not. I was just curious as to what constitutes pro equipment.

We always see lots of famous people playing high end Gibsons, Fenders, etc., etc., etc. Is it pro simply because of their status? I've seen working, paid, gigging musicians playing Squires, and Epiphones. Their hardworking professionals, yet aren't in the limelight to the extent of Slash, Iommi, Vai, etc. Wouldnt' their equipment be considered pro? I know a studio musician, that has a PRS, but uses Greg Bennets often enough to be getting an endorsement soon by Greg Bennet, surely those are pro as well.

What makes things "pro?"

I always figured if a professional uses it, likes and (intentionally or not) promotes it, it's pretty much pro gear, regardless of actual quality, cost, or whatever.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Last edited by Hakael at Sep 18, 2008,
I'd say there's no such thing. It's just a stupid saying.
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
Pro Equipment is all opionated. If I was to say that someone has "pro equipment" it would mean that it is reliable and gig-worthy. Pretty much, if it is not a hunk of crap and it sounds good regardless of price.
Basically, any guitar can withstand gigging and is of good materials and craftsmanship. At least that's what I think.
Quote by guitarbite.fire
i usually say any guitar that feels good , and a fully tube amp.

I would say a Line 6 Vetta is a pro amp, as is an Ampeg VH-140.

In other news: Pro gear is a term used by corksniffers to assign traits to a person based on the things they own, rather than their sound. If it sounds like a profession sound, it's a pro sound.
Hand Made, not assembled.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
"dude Leik Ur Bronze Warlock And Marhsall Mg Is Such Pro Br00tals"
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

pro just means you can't be in the olympics, can enter free agency, and usually find $200 on your night stand.

other than that, i wouldnt worry to much about labels.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
It's just that I see it applied to so many things, and everyone seems to have their different criteria as to what it is to them. My own would be anything that you used prefessionally, and by professionally, I mean using it to actually make money, or earn a living. So pretty much anything, technically, can be considered pro.

I also see it used plenty as a sales gimmick.

Just curious to see how every one else thought about it. Find it interesting.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
I usually go partially by the price, level of the specific series, brand, brands reputation, rarity, accessability, and the brands general pricing and such.

Pro gear such as pedals and effects, Eventide, Maxon, TC Electronics, T-Rex, Keeley, ISP. Then you have bigger brands with some lower end and higher end gear that is actually pro worthy, quite a few pros use Boss, Morely, MXR, Dunlop etc.

Amps, I always refer to being pro gear depending almost 100% on the price of that series. Mesa Boogie for instance, single rectos are an affordable, high quality amp, but IMO, they're not pro. They're definatly higher than intermediate, but they're not something your general pro would use. Now the dual rectos are pro quality and highly used by pros.

As for guitars, I don't consider anything less than pro short on quality, but generally, anything under $1,500 would be considered your average high end, not necessarily pro guitar. As far as pro guitars go, IMO, they gotta be custom shop or over $2000. It's really hard to generalize guitars though, the schecter loomis for example, 1000 for the real deal. Prestige Ibanez guitars, quite a few are used by some big name musicians, definatly pro level typically well under 2000.

These are all generalizations of course. And like my previous statement, hand made stuff from the top tiers of a company, not assembled guitars from korea.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Pants1985
Pro Equipment is all opionated. If I was to say that someone has "pro equipment" it would mean that it is reliable and gig-worthy. Pretty much, if it is not a hunk of crap and it sounds good regardless of price.

well said
+1

equipment that has been road/studio tested and approved of by the big names in music
professional means somebody who gets paid for what they do for a living, so it pretty much means any gear that suits the needs of big acts... usually means companies higher end/ custom shop equipment... so pretty much the cream of the crop shit, regardless of brand
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Quote by Hakael
It's just that I see it applied to so many things, and everyone seems to have their different criteria as to what it is to them. My own would be anything that you used prefessionally, and by professionally, I mean using it to actually make money, or earn a living. So pretty much anything, technically, can be considered pro.

I also see it used plenty as a sales gimmick.

Just curious to see how every one else thought about it. Find it interesting.

yes i agree with that. i think the label "pro" is just given to products as a sales gimmick. anything cna be considered "pro" equipment if it is used professionally imo.
I think everything you use that is of good quality (say, well respected brands, sturdy equipment that gives off a good sound) is considered 'pro', on these forums. You can reliably gig with it on like a weekly basis, and it stands up to the pressure. Besides that, it is consistent enough for week-long recording sessions.

I don't really think there is a definition...
Last edited by Y00p at Sep 19, 2008,
if you play a guitar or bass or whatever through some effects and amps and you get payed for it, you are a profressional (in terms of getting paid for being a musician) so therefore i would say it's the person using them that determines weather it's pro equipment or not, not the actaul guitar or amp, i mean some one could buy a £10,000 guitar and all tube amp and a halfstack to go with it, doesnt mean there pro though.. the equipment would be good, no doubt about it, but it's the user behind them that make's them....
Quote by Daniel8488
if you play a guitar or bass or whatever through some effects and amps and you get payed for it, you are a profressional (in terms of getting paid for being a musician) so therefore i would say it's the person using them that determines weather it's pro equipment or not, not the actaul guitar or amp, i mean some one could buy a £10,000 guitar and all tube amp and a halfstack to go with it, doesnt mean there pro though.. the equipment would be good, no doubt about it, but it's the user behind them that make's them....

... but its professional grade... thats what it means... used and reccommended by professionals, which is much different than an endorsement... when/ if any of you ever go professional... i doubt you are going to stick with your 300 dollar modded ibanez and valvekings... theres much much better out there, and when you have enough money to not take a hit on price i highly doubt that will be the main setup... you get what you pay for with gear
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Last edited by LPstudioWRz28 at Sep 19, 2008,
marshall MG series are pro ^_^

on a more serious note, i'd consider any equipment that is NOT budget-line to be suitable for professionals. it just shows you've done some research finding good equipment and that you've chosen it not because of the price tag.
Main gear
  • ESP Eclipse II Standard (BK Cold Sweat)
  • ESP Horizon NT-II Standard (SD '59/JB)
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo
People who waffle about "pro gear" usually have a finger planted firmly in their anus whilst doing so, it's just a way for them to piss on other people. Don't worry about it.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
It's not like all pro's use high end gear. I don't consider anything to be 'pro' gear really. If you're happy with it, then you're happy with it, regardless of what the price is. You can get a RG100ES for like $250, which Dime used in the CFH era. Behemoth use LTD's, right? It's not all about the gear, but more about the person using it.
Pro gear is, like said befor, peronally. There are pieces of gear that are definatly not pro (like squire affinity, boss pedals, spider III amps, ...) and there are pieces that are without any doubt pro (like John Suhr guitars) and you have a large grey zone.
To me, pro gear is this:
- For amps: Something with tubes in it, pre- and poweramp.
- For guitars: Something that is top of the line OR MIA/MIJ and above 1000$. But even then there are guitars that are 1000+ (LP studio, JEM 555,...) that i wouldnt call pro either, so thats a bit vague.
- Effects: Rack gear/deicent pedals.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
I define it as being over £700 for a guitar (so MIA strat would be bottom end of that), and probably any amp over £1k I would call pro grade. At those marks, pretty much anything you buy is going to be good quality. I wouldn't say it becomes pro grade just because a pro has used it.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet