is it typical during a song (or any I/IV chord) for the bass to cover the G while the guitar simply sticks to playing a C chord?

and if it wouldn't be too much trouble, could you provide with me song examples?
I'm just another musician waiting to be famous.

follow my twitter here
Please! listen to my music here
C major -> 2nd inversion

try this

C/G D/A G/B C

you can create rather interesting bassline that fit into the harmonic structure of your piece

edit: The Beatles - For No One
C Em Am C/G Fmaj7 Bb C

I can't be bothered to go check but if you can see, theres a bassline in there going C B A G F Bb C
Last edited by seljer at Sep 18, 2008,
You would generally play the C/G chord and have the bass play C. That way, you end up with the overall tonality of a C chord, but the instruments' differing timbres make it sound cool.
If we're talking the type of theory you learn in a class, you can do that... but it would probably be perceived as part of the dominant, and will be followed by the dominant.

So, say we have C/G in the key of C. When C/G is used in the way I'm describing, the C and E in the C chord really just want to resolve down to B and D, respectively.

Example:

-0-1-------
-1-3-5-3-1-
-0-2-5-4-0-
-----5-5-2-
-3-------3-
---1-3-3---

So, you have C - Dm/F - C/G - G - C, or I - ii6 - I64 - V - I, if you want roman numeral analysis.

If you play it, see how the C/G doesn't feel like the progression has ended? That's why it's part of the dominant, and not functioning as the tonic. If you just play C - Dm/F - C, you feel that the progression has ended, but not so with the C/G.

If you want to find examples, this sort of thing is fairly common in classical music and it wouldn't be too hard to find.

Of course, you can use C/G in other ways in rock music, this is just an example of how it's been used in the past.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
thank you all!

i believe the progression to the song i'm referring to was:

Em C/G Am B

or something similar.

again, thanks for the help.
I'm just another musician waiting to be famous.

follow my twitter here
Please! listen to my music here
As long as there's a G in the bass, feel free to play any voicing of C you'd like. An example is Orleans' You're Still The One. Somewhere in the song the progression goes A B/A. The bass is just thumping out As while the guitars play A and B chords.