I have a Vox AD30VT. I know it has an Overdrive preset, but I wanted to experiment a little on my own to get a nice overdriven sound. Is there much difference between overdrive and distortion?

I have read that Overdrive is pretty much turning a tube amp volume to max. What if that isn't possible due to family, etc.?

Would a pedal be my best choice?
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
1) Generally overdrive is softer and distortion more brutal.

2) Buy a pedal.

3) Yes.
Overdrive usually only sounds good on tube amps because you get power tube break up. IMO solid state break up sounds really bad.

Like Poglia suggested, try some pedals out.

cheers!
Gear:
Epi Les Paul Custom w/ 57 classic plus & burstbucker pro
Gibson SG Limited Edition, Crescent Moon Inlays
Dr. Z SRZ-65
Egnater 4x12 cab w/ Vintage 30s
Very good. Any suggestions on affordable pedals? I know I will have to go try some out. I will have to find a place nearby that has the Vox and pedals.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
I have an AD30VT. There's a power attenuator at the back, turn it down, crank the amp higher, it does make a difference. Or just get a nice clean channel and get a decent overdrive pedal.

Also, the distortion you're referring to is basically overdrive. Distortion is anything that affects/distorts the signal from the guitar to the speaker. But, distortion is usually just a more 'extreme' overdrive.
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
Well as far as i know, Overdrive gives you a softer distorted sound, think AC/DC. Distortion gives you a more metal kind of sound (think Metallica?). I have a Boss SuperOverdrive pedal, and i like it a lot, especialy for what i play.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by jaffawoman
I have an AD30VT. There's a power attenuator at the back, turn it down, crank the amp higher, it does make a difference. Or just get a nice clean channel and get a decent overdrive pedal.

Also, the distortion you're referring to is basically overdrive. Distortion is anything that affects/distorts the signal from the guitar to the speaker. But, distortion is usually just a more 'extreme' overdrive.

Yep, I have fooled with that. I guess I will try the clean channel with the attenuator turned down and see what that sounds like. I have only used the presets so far adn can't really find what I am looking for.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Another of these...

Overdrive = pushing tubes in an amp.
Distortion = result of tubes being pushed. Those higher end high gain amps naturally distort thus giving you the tone you want.

Distortion PEDALS = simulation of the distortion produced in amplifier.
Overdrive PEDALS = boost signal in order to push tubes, hence getting to the state of distortion.
Blackstar HT-5

Agile AL-2000 with Chrome Hardware