Page 1 of 2
I'm Looking to start building myself a nice train of pedals.

I'm looking to spend £100 per stomp box and was wondering what you'd reccommend.

I'm after the following:

Overdrive
Distortion
Phaser
Delay
Chorus
Equilizer
Floor Tuner
Wah
Volume Pedal

I would also consider:

Flanger
Whammy

but I don't know much about them, please enlighten me

I play melodic rock, but dabble in a bit of shred from time to time, Paul Gilberts tone is what I'm after. Here is an example of what I do (It's just a rough demo, and I can't sing) http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=109086914 It's the first song I'll Be Their
Quote by blue_strat
What guitar and amp have you got?

I have a Fender Stratocaster and an Ibanez RG370DX

and I've got a deposit on a Marshall DSL 100 Head and Marshall 4X12 Cab
well it depends wether ur happy with th tone u gt now
thrs no point in a distortion/overdrive if u lyk ur tone

a whammy pedal is fun but will become very boring
i personally wud go for a wah pedal. if u lyk ur tone tht is
Quote by TheRobbo7108
well it depends wether ur happy with th tone u gt now
thrs no point in a distortion/overdrive if u lyk ur tone

a whammy pedal is fun but will become very boring
i personally wud go for a wah pedal. if u lyk ur tone tht is

I want a cleaner, crisper tone without all the feedback and scratchy noises, but at the same depth of crunch.

and can you reccommend a wah?
For a nice, warm creamy sort of overdrive I'd recommend that you check out the Blackstar HT-Drive, it's never ever failed me. It's very versatile, anything from a simple boost to beautiful smooth tube overdrive. I believe it's about £100.
Quote by sSyLc
Looking for a bj from an unsuspecting animal eh?
Member of The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society
Quote by denizenz
I came, I saw, I cleaned it up.
just check out the entire collection of boss stomps, and you'll be sorted.
Quote by Snap017
Why listen to it? That song is for emos, homos, and girls.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
And Def Leppard aren't cool. Hell, rabies and Robert Mugabe are cooler.

Ibanez MTM2
Epiphone G400
Marshall MG15MS
Boss DS-1
Digitech Death Metal
Morley Bad Horsie
Quote by guitarking15
just check out the entire collection of boss stomps, and you'll be sorted.

Do Boss make good Stomp Boxes all around?

I was looking at the Boss Chorus, Boss Digital Delay and Boss Equilizer
yeah man they're awesome. all those you mentioned are worth a look.
the ds-1 is pretty good if you want a decent distortion aswell. i have one and it's never let me down
Quote by Snap017

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Ibanez MTM2
Epiphone G400
Marshall MG15MS
Boss DS-1
Digitech Death Metal
Morley Bad Horsie
Quote by jdmusic
Do Boss make good Stomp Boxes all around?

I was looking at the Boss Chorus, Boss Digital Delay and Boss Equilizer

Personally, I hate the Boss Digital Delays. You can get much better, allthough it will cost you a bit more.
Quote by sSyLc
Quote by denizenz
The Boss delays are good, don't know about the EQ but if you want a chorus buy an Electro-Harmonix Small Clone.

I noticed you wanted a floor tuner too, and the Boss TU-2 is probably the best one you can buy without spending a million pounds on one of those Peterson ones.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
Quote by jdmusic
what are the Ibanez Tubescreamers like?

Quote by Snap017

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Ibanez MTM2
Epiphone G400
Marshall MG15MS
Boss DS-1
Digitech Death Metal
Morley Bad Horsie
Quote by jdmusic
what are the Ibanez Tubescreamers like?

Rock Solid. If I hadn't seen the Blackstar pedals lying around, I would have gone for one of them.
Also, in the area of ODs, check out T-Rex Alberta, they're very much alike, but with some interesting differences.
Quote by sSyLc
Quote by denizenz
Quote by guitarking15

Is that a no go then?

Why?

Paul GIlbert uses them and his tones aweesome
DUDE I REALLY RECOMEND THE LINE 6 FLOOR POD!#%$#%*$^@!#%! its cheap and has everything built in!
Quote by jdmusic
Is that a no go then?

Why?

Paul GIlbert uses them and his tones aweesome

i'm not a huge fan s'all. all a matter of personal opinion though!
Quote by Snap017

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Ibanez MTM2
Epiphone G400
Marshall MG15MS
Boss DS-1
Digitech Death Metal
Morley Bad Horsie
Quote by tymanic
DUDE I REALLY RECOMEND THE LINE 6 FLOOR POD!#%$#%*$^@!#%! its cheap and has everything built in!

Thanks for the reccommendation, I have a POD and dont like it. It's okay, but its not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a diverse and cutting edge sound thats easy to switch from one sound to the other.

+++ THe POD is much better to use just for home recordings i find.
i wouldn't even buy all of those pedals. if i had enough money i would buy a rackmount multi-effects unit. i played through my friends digitech GSP 1101 and it was awesome. he had the pedalboard that digitech sells also. it was so versitile i could get any sound i wanted from it. the coolest thing about it was the pedalboard. he had an effects bank saved for each song with 5 presets for each bank. there were also 5 other buttons that could be used to turn individual effects on and off. i really liked it and as soon as i get enough money im getting one. but of course this is all my opinion i dont know what you think of multi effects systems but if you set them up the right way they are really fun to use.
Quote by ibanez350mdx
i wouldn't even buy all of those pedals. if i had enough money i would buy a rackmount multi-effects unit. i played through my friends digitech GSP 1101 and it was awesome. he had the pedalboard that digitech sells also. it was so versitile i could get any sound i wanted from it. the coolest thing about it was the pedalboard. he had an effects bank saved for each song with 5 presets for each bank. there were also 5 other buttons that could be used to turn individual effects on and off. i really liked it and as soon as i get enough money im getting one. but of course this is all my opinion i dont know what you think of multi effects systems but if you set them up the right way they are really fun to use.

stomps>multi effects.

fact.
Quote by Snap017

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Ibanez MTM2
Epiphone G400
Marshall MG15MS
Boss DS-1
Digitech Death Metal
Morley Bad Horsie
Quote by guitarking15
stomps>multi effects.

fact.

yeah I've got to agree sorry

I like the idea of being able to control the way you sound alot more anyway.
Anyway any more suggestions for what I should get, what about Phaser?
Quote by jdmusic
yeah I've got to agree sorry

I like the idea of being able to control the way you sound alot more anyway.

stomps are so much more versatile, you can change like 458743958734 different things with each one, the tone is so much more variable.

and plus you get a neat looking arrangement when you've got loads haha. oh yeah on that note you thought about getting a decent pedalboard? cause you'll need a hella load of PSU's for that lot you're buying :p
Quote by Snap017

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Ibanez MTM2
Epiphone G400
Marshall MG15MS
Boss DS-1
Digitech Death Metal
Morley Bad Horsie
Quote by jdmusic
I'm Looking to start building myself a nice train of pedals.

I'm looking to spend £100 per stomp box and was wondering what you'd reccommend.

I'm after the following:

Overdrive
Distortion
Phaser
Delay
Chorus
Equilizer
Floor Tuner
Wah
Volume Pedal

I would also consider:

Flanger
Whammy

but I don't know much about them, please enlighten me

I play melodic rock, but dabble in a bit of shred from time to time, Paul Gilberts tone is what I'm after. Here is an example of what I do (It's just a rough demo, and I can't sing) http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=109086914 It's the first song I'll Be Their

Before you go all out and buy every type of effect on the market, consider the songs you play and which effects you will actually use on a regular basis. Sure they all sound interesting at some point, but you dont want to blow 100 bucks on something you will never use.

Also, think about what amp you have and how do you use it? Do you use the distortion, reverb, etc it has on it already? Does it have what you consider a pleasing tone? With this in mind, you may not need things like a distortion or Od pedal, an EQ pedal and a volume pedal.
Quote by guitarking15
stomps>multi effects.

fact.

Weeeeeellll depends.

If you got a really nice rack, then no.

Otherwise I can't see any disadvantages to them unless you're an analogue junkie
Quote by jdmusic
Anyway any more suggestions for what I should get, what about Phaser?

http://www.andertons.co.uk/acatalog/info_BOSSPH3.html
Quote by Snap017

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Ibanez MTM2
Epiphone G400
Marshall MG15MS
Boss DS-1
Digitech Death Metal
Morley Bad Horsie
whoa whoa whoa. If you're looking to spend £100 on each pedal, for the most part, AVOID Boss.

You can afford to go boutique on several of those, and i'm also sure many of them are unnecessary. With that amp, i doubt you'll need a distortion, and maybe only an overdrive to use as a boost - in which case you want a tubescreamer, or higher quality copy of said tubescreamer (look into maxon?)

As for the others, i'd suggest an MXR 10 band for your EQ needs, and maybe an electroharmonix small clone for your chorus needs. As for delay - do you want analogue or digital? Digital will give you much more variety and longer times etc... but will never sound as 'organic' as analogue (which i would only use for short delays such as slapback or adding depth to solos). Digital wise, I'd suggest something like a Boss DD-7, or for an analogue delay, perhaps a used Deluxe memory man? As for a tuner, look into a Korg Pitchblack

I'm running outta ideas here, so i'll let someone else cover the others, but hope that helps a bit
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
To be honest, the only quality pedal (not including the POS "FAB" starter kit pedals I have) that I own is a boss eq. Now that pedal, in my opinion, is well worth the money and the simplicity (compared to a 10 band) but then again, I wouldn't really know since it's the only eq that I have ever used. I do like it, it does help me sculpt my tone. On OD, I've been looking at getting a Turbo Tube Screamer (seems a benefit to get the extra options for only a little more dough). However, I don't have much experience with the various other pedals you're looking at so this whole thread is pretty beneficial to me, as well.
I have heard a lot of negative opinions on the Boss Pedals and notice that they do seem a bit lacking in individuality when it comes to distortion and such, but they are good.
However, if you want to get all of Boss's stuff, I've heard that it's better to just get one of their sound processors with like mostly all of the pedals in one electrical box.
Is this true?
Well if it's PG's tone you're after you'll need a Fulltone OCD.
Quote by saphrax
Bit harsh I think! He comes back for the last 10 minutes against Roma, after being out all season, and you want him crippled again? You harsh wanker!

Aimed at me for saying I hope Gary Neville breaks all his limbs
Look for a Maxon Tubescreamer, MXR 6-band EQ, Electro Harmonix Nano Small Stone. Dyou use wah with a lot of distortion? What kind of delay are you after?
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
For wah, may I suggest a Morley Bad Horsie or even a Morley Mark Tremonti model if you can afford it.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by rhcp_freak
Look for a Maxon Tubescreamer, MXR 6-band EQ, Electro Harmonix Nano Small Stone. Dyou use wah with a lot of distortion? What kind of delay are you after?

With £100 you can get the Ten band
Quote by Horlicks
With £100 you can get the Ten band

Ah yeah, that one then.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
phaser-MXR phase 90 maybe a script version
Delay-Boss DD2O looks pretty good and varsatile but way over £100,
Chorus:EHX small clone
EQ: MXR 10 band
Floor tuner: Boss TU2 is probably alright can powere 8 other pedals too, run it out tuner out of volume so preserve tone
volume pedal: ernie ball jumior
Wah: depends what sorta music you play, vox are meant to be good for cleanish and more bluesly stuff, while cry babys are more high gain. but there are loads more decent wahs out there

and buy a power brick if your buying all those!!
Man, what's with all the eeediots in this thread, TS, you should almost completely ignore the whole first page, especially guitarking15, dude is clueless.

For 100 pounds , you could get a lot of shit. If I remember correctly, you are after an overdrive, phaser, wah, chorus, floor tuner and volume, so here goes.

Overdrive: Have a look at the Maxon OD-9, Fulltone OCD and Xotic BB preamp, they are all in your price range, and they are all very good. Keep in mind though, there is a veritable plethora of overdrive pedals out there (at least 500 that I know of), so choose carefully.

Phaser: MXR Phase 90, do not ask questions, just buy.

Wah: For you, I would look at the Dunlop 535Q or look at buying a GCB95 with intention to mod it, all it needs is a true bypass mod, which is easy to perform, or you oculd get someone to do it.

Chorus: I would look at the AnalogMan Chorus, Red Witch Empress, Dr Scientist Cosmichorus and the Boss CH-1 (pretty much the only decent Boss pedal still in production). Some of these may not be in your price range, but you can get them off Ebay for sure. THere's also this company called ModTone that have just released a fairly good sounding cheap chorus so I recommend that too.

Pedal Tuner: I would look at the Korg pitchblack and Planet Waves Chromatic Tuner.

Volume: Take a look at the Ernie Ball VP JR 6180, if you have passive pickups (if not, 6181). It's the industry standard and its fairly well priced.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
First off, I agree that you should really look into what you will be playing and figure out what you will actually use before you drop all the money into pedals that you may never use...

But here are my recommendations:

Overdrive: Maxon OD808

Distortion: Either a Vox Satchurator or a Coffin Case Blood Drive. Both are a kinda mid to high gain distortion that has a warm, creamy overdrive voicing so it sounds more like an overdriven high gain tube amp rather than a harsh digital distortion.

Phaser: MXR Phase 90

Delay: MXR Carbon Copy

Chorus: EHX Small Clone

Equilizer: MXR 10-band

Floor Tuner: Boss TU-2

Wah: Morley Bad Horsie

Volume Pedal: Morley Little Alligator

Flanger: EHX Electric Mistress

Whammy: DigiTech Whammy
Overdrive: Fulltone OCD
Distortion: ProCo Rat Solo
Phaser: MXR Phase 90
Delay: MXR Carbon Copy
Chorus: TC Electronic Nova Modulator (over budget, but rips shit out of the competition)
Equaliser: MXR 10 Band
Floor Tuner: Boss TU-2
Wah: RMC Picture Wah
Volume Pedal: Jim Dunlop HiGain Volume
if i could suggest a vast array of pedals under 100 pounds (about 190 USD):
MXR Phase 90
MXR Flanger
MXR 6 or 10 band EQ
MXR Stereo Chorus
MXR Blue Box (Fuzz/Octave)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Electro-harmonix DR. Q
Electro-harmonix Big Muff Pi
Electro-harmonix Small Clone
Electro-harmonix Small Stone
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss EQ
Boss Super Octave
Boss Super Overdrive
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS808 or TS9
Vox Satchurator
Vox V847A Wah
Dunlop Crybaby (any of the variations)
Morley Wah
Budda Budwah
Banshee Talkbox
ProCo RAT
BBE Sonic Maximizer
BBE Green Screamer
BBE Soul Vibe
BBE Mind Bender
BBE Free Fuzz

my biggest suggestion is find a really good overdrive, set a base foundation for your sound. then, build up effects around it.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Page 1 of 2