Hi, i am looking for a new amp. I play mostly metal but i like to experiment and decent cleans are also important.

I was thinking of getting the the new peavey vypyr 75 but i have also thought of getting one of these amps with some kind of multi fx unit or modeller.

The choices so far:

Peavey Vypyr
Peavey Bandit + Modeller
Peavey Valveking + Modeller
Crate Powerblock + Cab +Modeller
Crate V18 + Modeller
Laney VC-30 + Modeller
Laney LC-30 + Modeller

The amp will be used at home for practice and also for jamming with a drummer. I like to have effects and distortion options to play around with.

so which option should i take? fans from all genres of music and all bands welcome

I live in the UK and my overall budget is around £500 but would rather not spend as much as that if possible. will consider second hand stuff too.
Last edited by Sepulturick at Sep 18, 2008,
i have an AX3000G multi effect its 200$ and it gives you everything you ever need Ring Mod 3 phasers 3 choruses 2 flangers 11 reverbs 11 delays 9 distortions 9 amp models 12 cab models pitch shifter Rotary and lots more so you could get that and something else w/o effects
My Gear:
Epiphone LP-100 Lefty Heritage Cherry Sunburst
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
Line 6 Spider III 15W Amp
Korg AX3000G Multi-Effect Processor
Can I suggest a Cube 60? I don't know where you are or what your price range is (it would help if you'd tell us), but I can tell you that it has all the built in effects you could want and it's great for metal.
Or maybe a used Line6 Flextone?
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by shadow__666
Can I suggest a Cube 60? I don't know where you are or what your price range is (it would help if you'd tell us), but I can tell you that it has all the built in effects you could want and it's great for metal.
Or maybe a used Line6 Flextone?

I have owned a cube 60 before and while it is a great practice amp i just got bored with its limited models and limited fx.

Also owned a flextone and thats a little bit more like what i am after except i found i still had to use od pedals in front of it to tighten it up. the flextone is an option still though
Quote by theoreticmusic
Get the Vypyr 60 Tube.

Yeah just suggest me an amp that you haven't even tried. thanks
its the same thing as the SS only more head room and louder. Dont jump on his nuts, it was just a suggestion.

The 75w Vypyr owns the Cubes. Hands down.
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Quote by Sepulturick
Yeah just suggest me an amp that you haven't even tried. thanks

How the **** do you know I haven't tried it?
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
How the **** do you know I haven't tried it?

err cos its not out yet perhaps?
Quote by Sepulturick
err cos its not out yet perhaps?

haha. You have me there. But aside from that. These are all recommendations, and most people haven't tried the amps they recommend. I have played the regular Peavey Vypyr, and I liked it, and i'm hoping that the tube Vypyr will be better. I should have said "try" the Vypyr, not "get" it. That's my mistake, but try not to jump my nuts for making a recommendation when you're the one asking for advice.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
haha. You have me there. But aside from that. These are all recommendations, and most people haven't tried the amps they recommend. I have played the regular Peavey Vypyr, and I liked it, and i'm hoping that the tube Vypyr will be better. I should have said "try" the Vypyr, not "get" it. That's my mistake, but try not to jump my nuts for making a recommendation when you're the one asking for advice.

lol ok dude, sorry, i won't jump anyones nuts anymore.
oh, you can jump their nuts, but only if they deserve it. i do it all the time. for example:

"my MG is teh br00talz. i hate toobs."

but anyway. the 75 should be fine if you're buying before the beginning of October. if not, id try the tube 60.

Don't judge me.
I just got Peavey VYPYR 30 yesterday and so far I like it alot. I checked out the VYPYR 75 and I liked them both but the 30 was all I needed. If you try a VYPYR keep in mind that the speaker needs to be broken in. They sound really high bad at first (trebley/high pitched) but after it's played several hours the speaker will sound better. Mine's not fully broke in yet but it's getting better.
The speaker in any new amp will need to be broke in not just the VYPYR I should've worded that differently.
Last edited by zakkwyldefan79 at Sep 18, 2008,