hello, im looking for a bedroom amp (15W -25W max) for my david gilmour CS strat.
i was thinking about the Fender Frontman 25R, what do you think?
Last edited by Gstarzz at Sep 18, 2008,
Fender Frontman totally sucks, I have the 15R and it's very very bad. Worst distortion ever and a lot of buzzes and feedback... at least the cleans are ok.

Get a Roland Cube 20 or 30 or Micro Cube.
Budget?
TTTTTTTTiny Terror if you can afford it.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
You spent a lot of money on a guitar and your going to buy a $150 amp? That's backwards to getting good tone.

What is your amp budget really? What besides Pink Floyd do you play? Will you be playing with a drummer anytime in the future? Would you buy used gear? What part of the world do you live in, near what major city?
So you are spending $3000+ on a Gilmour strat, and you are sticking it in a cheap bedroom amp? Right?
Quote by gregs1020
You spent a lot of money on a guitar and your going to buy a $150 amp? That's backwards to getting good tone.

What is your amp budget really? What besides Pink Floyd do you play? Will you be playing with a drummer anytime in the future? Would you buy used gear? What part of the world do you live in, near what major city?

i already have a good fender tube, but i'm looking for a small amp only for bedroom practices. something around 120- 180$.
i like playing Classic rock, pink floyd, Hendrix, dire straits, blues, clapton and from time to time some metallica & RATM riffs.

i live in Israel and the prices of amp's here are pretty damn high.
maybe a vox valvetronix? or maybe something like a fender champion 600, peavey valveking royal 8, or similar, if you want to go tube.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You could get an Epi valve junior or something 2nd hand? Hell somebody must make small valve amps in Israel no?
Quote by Meddled
You could get an Epi valve junior or something 2nd hand? Hell somebody must make small valve amps in Israel no?

unfortunately no...

what about the FireFly?
Quote by Gstarzz
i already have a good fender tube, but i'm looking for a small amp only for bedroom practices. something around 120- 180$.
i like playing Classic rock, pink floyd, Hendrix, dire straits, blues, clapton and from time to time some metallica & RATM riffs.

i live in Israel and the prices of amp's here are pretty damn high.

OK whew...

I would go with the MicroCube or Vox Da5. They are both great practice amps. If you could score a used VibroChamp it would be worth a look as well as the valvetronics that Dave mentioned.

Edit: I haven't tried the Firefly so I can't really say - can you check it out?
Edit 2: for clarity.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Sep 18, 2008,
I use a Fender Frontman 25R. It's always worked great for me, but it sounds like some of the other posters here aren't happy with theirs. Buyer Beware!!!
well, I own a Frontman but it is a different animal. 100 watts of pure clean that I sometimes use(d) with my multieffects pedal. Great for jazzy stuff or uber death metal but that is it.

Now that I see his real goal - I'm voting Superchamp XD!
Quote by gregs1020
OK whew...

I would go with the MicroCube or Vox Da5. They are both great practice amps. If you could score a used VibroChamp it would be worth a look as well as the valvetronics that Dave mentioned.

Edit: I haven't tried the Firefly so I can't really say - can you check it out?
Edit 2: for clarity.

what about the superchamp or the fender hot rod junior?
Quote by Gstarzz
what about the superchamp or the fender hot rod junior?

The Blues Jr and the SuperChamp? I have a Blues Jr and have tried the SuperChamp XD. I like them both but didn't try to get metal out of either. But now we are way gone from the $150 range. Try a SuperChamp XD and see what you think. Between the two I chose the Bjr. But if I were buying new (argh the thought...) I would have probably got the SuperChamp XD as 311 rec's. We generally think alike.
Thank you all for helping out, il try the Superchamp and the Microcube tomorrow.
well, i did get a little off track. Super and Jr may struggle with 'tallica a bit. Cube can do that easier but wouldn't have the Fender sound you enjoy now so it is a trade.

Superchamp is $299 new too so depends. Play stuff like you said and go with what sounds good to you.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Super and Jr may struggle with 'tallica a bit. .

I'm thinking the single coils would hold him back more than the amp there. I can get passable early 'tallica with the bjr with my daddy-o. It sounds good enough to be fun to play at bedroom volumes but no it's not ideal for it. But the trade off is well worth the tones for blues and rock.
either the superchamp or the bj would be cool. they're a bit more expensive, though, as gregs says. agreed about the single coils too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Super Champ definitly, all tube, SS effects and modeling though. I've used it would buy it as a practice amp if I wanted one. The Metalhead voicing w/ can do Mettalica definetly.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by lespaul#1
Super Champ definitly, all tube, SS effects and modeling though.

It's not all tube, but it sounds damn good for a modeler, and has tubes where it should, in the power amp.

Not even the clean channel is all tube. I'm not joking, this was thoroughly researched before I bought mine, including talking directly with fender.

Still a great practice amp
Quote by pak1351

It's not all tube, but it sounds damn good for a modeler, and has tubes where it should, in the power amp.

Not even the clean channel is all tube. I'm not joking, this was thoroughly researched before I bought mine, including talking directly with fender.

Still a great practice amp

Whoops a UGer misinformed me.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
No Fender FR series. They're all terrible. My little brothers does nothing but feedback at any volume levels and the cleans are not good. The clean channel breaks up at 1 and the gain channel sounds so bad it's ridiculous. The reverb sucks and you could do way better for that much. Go for a Fender Champ 600, it's pretty sweet and it's tube.