I just got my Marshall JCM900 hi gain dual reverb 50watt however the 2 reverb tubes are out so i figured instead replacing the tubes i would just go ahead and buy a nice reverb pedal because i was going to get one later anyways.......So i play alot of Blues and Alot of rock and i need good reverb i was told about the holygrail and Holygrail plus and ive also wonderd about the holystain what do you think about those and is there any other pedals you would suggest? below $200?
Well it's less to replace the reverb tubes and it's going to sound better you know...
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
ive heard a whole lot of good things about the Holy Grail, they sound brilliant in these video demos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJDEcLTyYdU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfuwaYxG3cU
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
I would replace the tubes now and save up for the holy grail later. no point slacking on amp maintenance when you have a nice amp.
Quote by el-ECTRO
you again

damn i could've done a much better response for ntchode 'Owner of UGs hugest penis'
invest in your amp rather then a pedal

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
I would replace the tubes. I mean, you paid $300 for that head - surely it deserves a couple tubes which will be better reverb anyway.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
I would replace the tubes. I mean, you paid $300 for that head - surely it deserves a couple tubes which will be better reverb anyway.

why do you think that the built in reverb will sound better than a nice pedal made for reverb? i thought it would be the other way around
still though, having your amp 100% maintained would be the better option. do both!
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
Quote by Brian8878682
why do you think that the built in reverb will sound better than a nice pedal made for reverb? i thought it would be the other way around

Nooooooo why would you think that?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
your speaker is not broken in?

if i where you, i wouldnt play through it until it is
Quote by Brian8878682

It's been my experience.

I haven't tried the Holy Grail and the clips on line do sound very good. But I'm a little spoiled with fender amps with good reverb. Keep in mind the pedal is built to "emulate" amp reverb, so that kinda points you to the real thing or "not exactly".
Besides, that is a great amp, fix the reverb and see what you think. Spending money on a couple tubes isn't wasting money by any stretch. The fewer pedals you have between you and your amp, the better. Again, it's just my opinion.
Quote by gregs1020
It's been my experience.

I haven't tried the Holy Grail and the clips on line do sound very good. But I'm a little spoiled with fender amps with good reverb. Keep in mind the pedal is built to "emulate" amp reverb, so that kinda points you to the real thing or "not exactly".
Besides, that is a great amp, fix the reverb and see what you think. Spending money on a couple tubes isn't wasting money by any stretch. The fewer pedals you have between you and your amp, the better. Again, it's just my opinion.

although with the pedal u have 3 diff kinds of reverb hall sprong and flur...but how much are reverb tubes? because i heard they were up there like $60
Quote by Brian8878682
although with the pedal u have 3 diff kinds of reverb hall sprong and flur...but how much are reverb tubes? because i heard they were up there like $60

Yeah, if you get NOS tubes. AFAIK, you just use preamp tubes as the reverb driver.

Also, I'd do a full tube swap.
Quote by Brian8878682

I googled and failed to find out what kind of tubes it uses for reverb to get pricing. But $60 on tubes is better than a $150 pedal. There is no telling that any of the settings on the pedal are any better than the amp's natural reverb.

My main point is take some of the money you saved getting the amp and put it into getting the most out of it. I'm with Goolz, I would retube the amp completely. If you are on a budget - all the more reason to replace tubes and not get a pedal.

Do what you think is best but, shy of playing surf, (never tried that on a JCM900), the onboard reverb will likely be just fine.
Quote by gregs1020
I googled and failed to find out what kind of tubes it uses for reverb to get pricing. But $60 on tubes is better than a $150 pedal. There is no telling that any of the settings on the pedal are any better than the amp's natural reverb.

My main point is take some of the money you saved getting the amp and put it into getting the most out of it. I'm with Goolz, I would retube the amp completely. If you are on a budget - all the more reason to replace tubes and not get a pedal.

Do what you think is best but, shy of playing surf, (never tried that on a JCM900), the onboard reverb will likely be just fine.

this is true, i dont want to damage my amp with not having everything in it working and the amp has 2 reverb tubes so it would a little cheaper to just replace the tubes maybethe same because ill have to pay someone to replace them for me as this is my first tube amp thanks for the help everyone
To have a tech do it shouldn't cost you more than the pedal, half at most, they just push in. Trust us Brian, it's a great amp (congrats again) put tubes in and see what you think. Best.
I don't get the point of reverbs. Why don't you get a decent echo that can do a good reverb or slapback but also does delay?
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Yeahh i would go with what these guys said cause although i know it wouldnt do anything but i wouldnt like the thought of not having tubes in my amp where they should be.

Hows it sound anyway? i was looking at one at one point. Got any sound clips up?
I have the Holy Grail Plus and it sounds amazing. But I admit I don't have much experience with other forms of reverb.
Quote by Zakk_Lp
Yeahh i would go with what these guys said cause although i know it wouldnt do anything but i wouldnt like the thought of not having tubes in my amp where they should be.

Hows it sound anyway? i was looking at one at one point. Got any sound clips up?

i would but im not sure how to put them in a forum once i record it however i would be recording through my gaming mic thing so it might not sound good
Quote by Brian8878682

Quote by Gabel
Well it's less to replace the reverb tubes and it's going to sound better you know...

^^^^Thats why. Gabel knows more about Marshalls and tone than you would even want to know.
Well I have owned a Dual Reverb. Wasn't too fond of it. But there was one thing I liked, A LOT on it. That was the reverb. Think like this. The Holy Grail is made to simulate the sound of a tube spring reverb. Guess what the JCM900 has? Tube driven spring reverb. What does that leave you with? It's like getting a Fender Twin and then get a POD for running a Fender Twin simulation for a clean sound. Basically, why take a simulation instead of the real thing?

Also why pay $200 for a reverb pedal? When you can get great sounding Tung Sol tubes for $12?
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tungsol-12AX7-Tube?sku=212231

See what I mean? Start by changing them.

Quote by i_am_metalhead
Gabel knows more about Marshalls and tone than you would even want to know.

Dude

It's nice to be back as a Marshall owner (even though my 18watter doesn't have a Marshall badge on front, still it is a Marshall more or less).
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

so i can use those tungsol 12ax7's for the reverb in my head??
(the 2 blue cases are the reverb tubes....eatleast thats what ive been told)

Could you take a photo more from the top and mark them please?

EDIT: Looks like the reverb on the amp might not be tube driven after all though.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Last edited by Gabel at Sep 18, 2008,
Quote by Gabel
Could you take a photo more from the top and mark them please?

i i think the tubes are to small in the head for me to fit my camera in to take a pic of the top and its my first tube amp so i dont know what any of the tubes are besides the fact that they told me that those 2 blue ones are the reverb tubes o and those 2 big ones are suppseivly fender 6L6's i may be able to tell u what you wanted to find out by looking at it from a top view? i was thinking that reverb tubes where very exspensive
No reverb tubes aren't very expensive. Normaly reverb tubes are 12AX7s, 12AT7s or 12AU7s and so on. They cost about $10 new.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Gabel
No reverb tubes aren't very expensive. Normaly reverb tubes are 12AX7s, 12AT7s or 12AU7s and so on. They cost about $10 new.

o wow so i guess i just need to find out what kind of tubes are in it...
somehow lol
Yeah. Well sorry I've forgot. My tip is to either contact Marshall.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Gabel
Yeah. Well sorry I've forgot. My tip is to either contact Marshall.

its kool ill find out.....thanks for the helpman
Quote by Gabel
Sure

Have you tried to see if it works at all?

the reverb? yes it faintly works my tone isent completly dry u can hardly tell when i have it on or when i have it off......The owner told me that it was tube driven and that the 2 blue cases are the reverb tubes? are u thinking otherwise?
Ah ok. Might be true Can you see if it's 9 pin or 8 pin though?
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Gabel
Ah ok. Might be true Can you see if it's 9 pin or 8 pin though?

what is pinn and where would i look? just on that blue case?
the tube bases, you can see if it fits for tubes with 9 or 8 pins.

9 pin

8 pin
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Kudos Gabe, I was trying to tell him the same thing. The pedal is just going to emulate what the amp does in the correct old school manner. I couldn't find which tubes it used stock on line.
I would but i dont know how to take it off but on the outside it has a big L C on it and the its says somthing like Red 50
and yellow
plain
and then FAC/(somthing)?