Hey i have been playing bass for a few years now and recently i've seen a few bassists in bands strumming a bass guitar and i was wondering how you do this and what it's all about! Does anyone out there have a clue about what this is? Please help me out if you have anything! Thanks!
pick+chords?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
bass chords can be done by strumming, but I wouldn't recommend it...

Maybe they're just using a pick in an aggressive manner?
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Quote by wouldyakindly
bass chords can be done by strumming, but I wouldn't recommend it...

Maybe they're just using a pick in an aggressive manner?

Uh... bass chords can sound amazing, and you can get them in all sorts of different ways, tapping, strumming, flamenco style strumming, popping...
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
chords can help you bring a different sound to the table. les claypool for one is a big user of srumming chords out on a bass. songs like Too Many Puppies and Golden Boy(my shout out to Anarkee...) have large parts where he is strumming flamenco style.
And "To Defy the laws of tradition" also has this technique.

I have been jamming with my jazz guitarist using chords lately. We're working on a few Christmas standards jazz style where I play chords and he plays the melody or head. It sounds really lovely. In many cases, I prefer the sound of chords on bass rather than guitar. If you are coming from guitar, the chord forms are rather different and you sometimes have to experiment to get the right sound, but its worth the effort.
The way I strum is with my thumb stroking the string for a softer touch; playing with the classical guitarist arpeggio style, or forming my thumb and fore finger into a pick like shape and strumming harder for a more aggressive sound.
i use a weird strum style, with my ring and middle finger hitting the strings while my index and pinkie just float, and that works good for me. chords on the bass normally include but are not limeted to power chords, root 5. a lot of songs use it, to notable example's i can think of are Schism by tool and john the fisherman by primus.
Peavy Cirrus 5 string
Squire Jazz bass
Berhinger ultrabass head, 450 cabinet
Resident Marvel Comic expert of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
]My band's myspace
http://www.myspace.com/jenovamusicpage
It's a proven fact, IE, it's characteristic of the bass guitar that chords sound VERY muddy when strummed. That's why most bass technique plays notes FROM the chord, not all at once. It can be done, in a limited form, but you can't play acoustic rock songs on a bass, anything beyond 3 notes starts to sound ridiculous.
I do it all of the time..if its sounding muddy, you either need to adjust your EQ or your technique.
^no for a Grammy you would need to add a phrase like "best new female gopher, alternative acting without a stunt double".

I just figured out how to play Radiohead's "Lucky" playing chords on bass. Chords on bass are just lush, no question about it.
Chords on bass sound good when used appropriately, but I don't know if anyone except maybe Les Claypool could make lots of use of chording on bass in a 5 piece rock band with both guitar players distorted. I only really do double stops. Pretty much 5th chords and octaves. I tend to either pop both strings (I actually do this regularly) or go flamenco ala Les Claypool.