So I've been playing since about December. I can play a bunch of stuff, some Rise Against, a little bit of Hendrix, some Buckethead. I can also shred/improv decently.
My only problem is that for some reason I can't learn solos. I'm pretty sure that what I really need to be doing is practicing scales, but do you guys have any other advice that you'd like to help me out with?
Much aprreciated.

Cheers,
Baby

EDIT: Also, what scales are mainly used in solos and songs?
Last edited by Baby Joel at Sep 18, 2008,
You don't need to practice scales, you need to practice the solos themselves...and I doubt you can shred or improvise decently after 8 months, it might be time to reassess your playing and be a bit more honest with yourself.

Perfect things slowly first, as slow as it needs to be for you to play it properly without missing notes, and build from there - if you can't play something slowly you're not going to be able to play it quickly either.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
solo's will be based on what key the song is in. In terms of learning solo's - what works for me is to get the tab and run through it slowly with no music or metronome...then when I memorize the tab, Ill start to play along with the song, over and over and over until I get a good feel - then to clean it up, play without the song but in time with a metronome. Everyone learns different but thats helped me, so I hope that might help.

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
you can't learn solos but you can shred/improv?
Quote by MeRcI-BuCkEtS
Evolve?

Evolve Festival 2007: Aug. 2nd, 3rd & 4th!!!
Evolve Festival 2008: July 25th, 26th & 27th!!!
Evolve Festival 2009: July 17th, 18th & 19th!!!
Sunflower Valley
Antigonish, Nova Scotia
www.evolvefestival.com
Edit: I misunderstood the TS's post i thought he said he wanted to learn how to improv.

To TS if you really can improvise, why would you want to copy someone else?
Last edited by that1l)ude at Sep 18, 2008,
I can improv what I want, but not what will sound good to the song. That's why I thought scales might be a good idea.
The central concept of improvising is playing something that fits with your backing - if you can't do that then you can't improvise yet.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

...yet

give things time, remember this isn't a race...you'll be learning new things for as long as you play the guitar, there's always going to be something you don't know.

Like I said, if you want to learn a solo then the best thing you can be practicing is the solo itself. If you want to give yourself a head start on things with a bit of basic theory groundwork then read the Crusade articles by Josh Urban in the columns section.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc