I normally play a Squier telecaster with a Duncan humbucker on it. I play some Drop D tune songs. Was looking at a back up guitar that I could just leave tuned that way. Not a hardcore metal player. I like Squiers because they generally feel good to my smallish hands and of course the price. Was looking at the Telecaster with 2 P90s or else the Stratocaster with three Hotrails. Either of these good choices? Play Drop D through Fuzz mainly. Your comments are welcome. Thanks.
Personally I find Les Pauls hold drop tunings better, and sound better dropped. Check out a Les Paul Studio maybe - but if you are a "strat" guy then the Tele with the P90's could be ok

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
You want a backup for drop D? It's one string, man. And it's never going to break. Why spend the money?
My Stuff:
PRS SE Soapbar II
ESP LTD EC-50 (Seymour JB & '59)
Peavey Backstage Plus (1x10 35W)
Peavey Classic (2X12 100W)

Yamaha FG-750s circa 1978

Wishlist:
Fishman Rare Earth acoustic pickups
Boss RC-2 or RC-20
Quote by Tyler Durden
Personally I find Les Pauls hold drop tunings better, and sound better dropped. Check out a Les Paul Studio maybe - but if you are a "strat" guy then the Tele with the P90's could be ok

Eh?
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
Quote by HavokStrife
Eh?

you're not Canadian, you cant use that lol

do you disagree? my statement was based on my personal opinion

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Unless you have a three saddle bridge, it should only take 10 seconds for you to drop it down to D and back once you do it a few times and get a feel for it, checking it against your 4th/D string.
if you know how to tune with harmonics, this should help. if not, learn to tune by harmonics, then read this.

hit the harmonics on the 7th fret of the E string and the 5th fret of the A string. tune the E string down until the "waves" become smaller. fine tune. to tune back up, just use harmonics on the 5th fret of the E and the 7th of the A.

cheers!

BTW: les pauls do handle drop tunings better, but if you're playing a Squier, 1200$ for a backup guitar is retarded. check out some epiphone models if you really want to get a backup guitar for drop D. i suggest the LP special II or the SG special, if you're on a tigh budget. if not, get an G-400 or a LP standard plain top.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
jhachey22, thanks.

Thanks for an actual USEFUL reply. As you guessed it I'm new to the guitar and the tuning advice is welcome, thanks. As you also guessed it, since I'm playing a Squier, budget is an issue. Although I have JUST a Squier Tele, I did install Seymour Duncan humbucker and neck pickups to give it a bit more of a "growl". The Epiphone advice is welcome. I know that some of the other brands like Dean (?) have very wide necks... not what I want. Have strummed around a little on the Epiphones, no need to really pick up a Les Paul. I don't think just because my first guitar, which suits me and I have made some modifications on is a Squier, doesn't exclude me from wanting to get another guitar with a little bit different setup/style/sound (like an SG or the Tele with the P90s). How many people who post here have two (or multiple) guitars? I'm sure they aren't all Les Pauls either. looking at guitars is fun. Excuse me for looking. Thanks again Jhachey22 for a considerate reply to my newbie question. Your right, even with the upgrades on my tele, it isn't the sound I am looking for.
Quote by Retro Rocker
To be frank, Squiers are usually the backup guitars.

i agree, just save up for a better guitar then use the squier as your backup
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
I could see getting a back up guitar if say, you needed one tuned to c standard or drop C but tuning to drop d takes 10 seconds, definitely not worth getting a new guitar for.
It seems like you just want another guitar that suits you, and I'd have to agree that Les Paul's hold drop tunings better.
Also, you said yourself that you're new to guitar, no need to be snappy when several people gave you some sound advice.
Quote by AluminumOxide
Cobain killed himself before he learned to play guitar.

Gibson SG Special
Schecter C1-Plus