So im in the market for a new 5 string or second hand anyways. Ive been looking alot at schecter since i played one over the summer.

One is the Schecter Stiletto studio 5 I think its called. I played the 4 string version and really liked it.

I have also seen the Schecter Elite 5 i havent played this one but if its any thing like the stiletto il like it. Is it worse better?

Another option Would be a Warwick standard corvette 5 in bubinga.

So what do you think Which one would you choose. Im trying to get something different from my jazz bass sound. I havent looked into them much yet but theres also ibanez. Any helps great.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I have the studio 5

and I love it it has a growl to it I'd say like few other basses I've played I'd say it is great for metal and other heavy music but it also peforms on stuff like muse and the strokes, great bass
Quote by CaptainJack666
may i ask why a 5er

it gives you the ability to play lower notes with minimal hand movements
Be aware that warwicks are pretty unique in their tone, and it sticks out like a sore thumb (bad pun).
Play all your options (and a few more) before buying. I'd go with the warwick, but I like their tone and feel...
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Quote by Bonesaw
it gives you the ability to play lower notes with minimal hand movements

tru, i just wouldnt see the need for an extra low string presonally, a high string yes (see my new 5 string thread lol)
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Quote by CaptainJack666
may i ask why a 5er

Why not im looking for something new, i dont want another 4 string. And i want to be able to play more notes within a smaller range.
To bonesaw do you recommend it that one you have is the one i was looking at it looks really nice.

EDIT: i just saw your thread captain jack and that would also be an option for me im not sure yet but a c in stead of a b would also be an option.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Last edited by fatgoogle at Sep 18, 2008,
Quote by fatgoogle
Why not im looking for something new, i dont want another 4 string. And i want to be able to play more notes within a smaller range.
To bonesaw do you recommend it that one you have is the one i was looking at it looks really nice.

it is a great bass I must say I love the neck through construction, it isn't to heavy, the neck for me is a great size, it already has an active 3-band EQ on it, active EMGs, for me it was a big step forward to me sound moving to this from a fender jazz

here's something to drool over

Last edited by Bonesaw at Sep 18, 2008,
Thanks bonesaw thats probably my favourite choice ive seen alot floatin around ebay so i might be able to pick one up cheaply. Any other ideas on the othe bass's anyone.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul

I have the Schecter Stiletto Elite 5, and it's an AMAZING bass for the price. It's almost the quality of my European Spector. It has a 2-band EQ with EMG-HZ pickups (passive humbuckers). To whoever posted the pics of that nice Studio 5, the pickups are actually passive. HZ's are the passive line of EMG. The Elite has a better bridge than the studio, but it has a 2 band rather than a 3 band EQ. That may be good or bad, because the two band covers different frequencies than the 3 band can adjust. Also, the finish; here's the main concern. If you don't mind a laquered neck, the Elite is the way to go. The flame maple top is just killer, too. The Studio, on the other hand, has a satin finished neck, so it's nice and smoothe. I don't find the finish to be bad on the Elite, but some people just despise it. So I digress, I personally find the Elite to be better than the Studio, but it's all personal preference. They're both Schecter's flagship basses.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by thegiaco2112
i have the custom version sweet bass check my song just you and me and the movies for a soundclip

DEJA VU!!!!!!!!!

if he loves your sound too...

I also have the Elite 5. I can honestly say I would not have even considered it at the price it was new. however, it is a very good bass. just not the sound I had been looking for.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Man.... those Schecters look sooooooo sweet!
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
So Which one overall would you all choose. I have a while to make up my mind nut you Know

Considering you all posted pictures bloody bastards you just made my life alot difficulter. Such nice bass's.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Last edited by fatgoogle at Sep 19, 2008,
I wish I could enlighten you with my experience on the tone of Warwicks or Schectors, but I do not own one. I, too, am in the market for a new bass. Maybe its me, but both Warwicks and Schectors don't do it for me with the looks. I'm sure they are the type of bass where their tones make you buy em. If the local stores have one, I'll definitely give them a try. I was looking into getting a Spector Legend 4. Good luck with your bass hunting!
I own a Schecter and I've had waaaay to many problems with it to suggest their basses to anyone else. I would say get the Warwick if you got tha bucks to pay for it, and if you love their sound.

Or you could use Yamahas like me.
Musicman makes great 5 strings (i have 2 ), but if your heart is set on Warwick or Schecter just get the one that is most comfortable to play. They both sound great but those Warwick necks are just huge.....
Quote by Fly-By-Night
Musicman makes great 5 strings (i have 2 ), but if your heart is set on Warwick or Schecter just get the one that is most comfortable to play. They both sound great but those Warwick necks are just huge.....

The necks are not actually that much thicker or wider than a jazz neck. They are just shaped in such a way that is brilliant if you have textbook technique, and is horrible if you are used to getting away with things on a jazz bass.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
The necks are not actually that much thicker or wider than a jazz neck. They are just shaped in such a way that is brilliant if you have textbook technique, and is horrible if you are used to getting away with things on a jazz bass.

indeed. when I first played, I hated the Corvette at my local store.

now, it is perfect.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by gm jack

really? they feel so big, and i was playing precison necks before i switched to Musicman
Quote by Bonesaw
it is a great bass I must say I love the neck through construction, it isn't to heavy, the neck for me is a great size, it already has an active 3-band EQ on it, active EMGs, for me it was a big step forward to me sound moving to this from a fender jazz

here's something to drool over

Can that thing pull off the pop of Ryan Martinie from Mudvayne's bass? Can it do it in at least a decent way? I really love that poppy sound he gets without sacrificing too much low end, so I wanna know if you can do that on this.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
try a musicman. ive recently fallen in love with them.
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Can that thing pull off the pop of Ryan Martinie from Mudvayne's bass? Can it do it in at least a decent way? I really love that poppy sound he gets without sacrificing too much low end, so I wanna know if you can do that on this.

after watching some of his videos I can say I have never tried to play like that guy it is interesting in his technique I would say the stiletto series has a unique sound and would recommend trying it at least
Get an Elite 5 its almost ridiculous how good it feels and sounds for the price i got it at (600$ USD) tried studio and it together side by side and found the elite to be way better in my opinion. If your going to buy the Elite, get the honeyburst orange finish... It looks way sexier than the Black Cherry finish.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Quote by CaptainJack666
tru, i just wouldnt see the need for an extra low string presonally, a high string yes (see my new 5 string thread lol)

I can understand that, it really does depend on your style.

I originally wanted a 5 with a High C but since i got my current 5 string i've realised how much more useful that lower string is. For one of my bands the guitarist drops to open C and as much as staying in the lowest possible register doesn't suit that music being able to hit that low C makes it so much easier to fatten the sound when i want.

My other band is pretty much all in standard and even then i use the low B a lot for walking up to notes and going below the root to fatten the sound up.
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Last edited by Double Basser at Sep 20, 2008,
Yes i think i might go for the elite 5 i still have to get all the oney together but i got a job so it shouldnt be to difficult. And to all the people who said a musicman i would really like one a stingray with a 3 band eq but the price difference is fairly big.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul