wat is the effect tht flea is using in sir psycho sexy i really want 1 of those but i dont kno wat its called
It's an envelope filter - a Q Tron can probably get close to it, though I think he actually used a Mutron to do it.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
dude, the exact effect is by electro-harmonix. its called "bassballs". i just bought one today and it is freakin sweet, its like an envelope filter, but it also has a distorion setting on it.
Quote by veniceking
dude, the exact effect is by electro-harmonix. its called "bassballs". i just bought one today and it is freakin sweet, its like an envelope filter, but it also has a distorion setting on it.

No it isn't.

It's a vintage Mutron which had the battery dying. This caused it to distort. After recording it, Flea changed out the battery and found it didn't sound as good.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Nutter's probably right, but the bassballs does work very well

I owned one for a while, but found it was more of a novelty pedal than anything, the lack of control of the envelope, or whatever got on my nerves, and the distortion was lacklustre at best, but you'll think it's the greatest thing ever for a good week or so
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
It's quite hard to emulate Flea's sound on that song. Although what Nutter said was right, I'd say you could get a Mutron, or buy an Envelope Filter and fiddle around and find the tone that's close to it.