so 5 string basses have the extra low string, and 6ers have a low and a high, why do no 5 strings come with just an extra high, then id get one. any ideas, or examples of 5 strings that do come with a high string only
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
you can buy a six string set of strings and throw out the b string if you want then you have the extra high string
Quote by Bonesaw
you can buy a six string set of strings and throw out the b string if you want then you have the extra high string

would there be an issue with the string lengths at all?
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
I think its more a fact of what you like playing. I myself overall would porbably keep the b because its more usefull to me but what do you play. I prefer the lower notes hence me looking for a 5er.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I can't think of any basses that are shipped as 5-string tuned to E. Although you could probably order a Carvin with one.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Yeah Delirium got it right. You only have to change the nut. Then you can either put a set of 6 string strings and throw away the B; or you could just use some really light 5 string strings.

Hope that made sense.....

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
I've never really seen the advantage a high c gives, I mean it's only slight (you get two more tones range out of them, technically) but I suppose it'd be an easier range of motion...
If I wanted a high c, I'd definately get a 6er though.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Quote by fortysix&2
I've never really seen the advantage a high c gives, I mean it's only slight (you get two more tones range out of them, technically) but I suppose it'd be an easier range of motion...
If I wanted a high c, I'd definately get a 6er though.

And that's the main reason why someone should get a fiver. I always say it, and no-one bloody listens
Quote by fortysix&2
but I suppose it'd be an easier range of motion...

Yeah id love to have a 5 string with a high c just so i can play John Paul Jones' bassline for the lemon song. I just cant keep up with shifting around o nthe g string so much!

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Check out Steve Swallow. He's a jazz bass player that uses a five-string with a high-C string (not to mention with a PICK).
Tiger style.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
And that's the main reason why someone should get a fiver. I always say it, and no-one bloody listens

I listened, I bought a fiver
I would like to get a six string though, but I'm not sure I could handle playing a 5er with no tasty low b string to play with...
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
thanks guys, im considering getting a fiver and stringing it with a high C instead of the extra low. what sort of nut should i look into for a project like that
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Get yourself a "blank" nut and file the grooves yourself.

haha i can see that going catastrophically wrong lol, well ill give it a go
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
You don't need a new nut. I didn't get one and have had 0 trouble in over a year of use. The high C is awesome. Whole new chording possibilities are opened as well as more melody and harmony shifting and that kind of thing. If you're not a "bass guitarist" and are a "bass player" as John Entwhistle so eloquently said it, you may not find the high C all that useful. There's not a lot of space for it in the old school of thought for bass playing.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
You don't need a new nut. I didn't get one and have had 0 trouble in over a year of use. The high C is awesome. Whole new chording possibilities are opened as well as more melody and harmony shifting and that kind of thing. If you're not a "bass guitarist" and are a "bass player" as John Entwhistle so eloquently said it, you may not find the high C all that useful. There's not a lot of space for it in the old school of thought for bass playing.

riiight, i see. i use my precision for "bass playing" but wanted to get a jazz for guitarist-y stuff, and thot a fiver with a high C would sound pretty cool. so to sum up it would just be a case of getting a five string, a set of 6 strings, and leaving the low B in the pack?
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
niiice. im thinking about a black on black standard jazz, the pao ferro neck one, you wouldnt happen to know if they are any good would you?
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
There's a standard jazz with a pao ferro neck? I didn't even know that. So... I have no opinion.

yeah the fender standard jazz V is pao ferro
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
The American Deluxe can have a Pau Ferro/Maple board. I've never used it myself though.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Oh yeah! I've tried them out, I just didn't realize they were pau ferro. They're solid basses, with good value. They're the same as a standard, but with another string (and I guess a pau ferro neck). It gets my thumbs up, although there is a certain 24 fret Fender with a quilt maple top and Seymour Duncan basslines and an active preamp that this crazy guy named jazz_rock_feel owns that I would recommend as well.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Oh yeah! I've tried them out, I just didn't realize they were pau ferro. They're solid basses, with good value. They're the same as a standard, but with another string (and I guess a pau ferro neck). It gets my thumbs up, although there is a certain 24 fret Fender with a quilt maple top and Seymour Duncan basslines and an active preamp that this crazy guy named jazz_rock_feel owns that I would recommend as well.

haha not a fan of the aesthetics but i bet it plays nice. im fairly broke just now tho, and the all white squier deluxe V looks quite nice, come to think of it they have one in my local music store, i must remember to play it tomorrow and see how it is. if not ill get my american contact to bring me back a fender V after i save sum cash
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
For jazzy, lead bass stuff, It will probably be very useful. I don't know where you can find one that comes standard like that nowadays, but the first 5er (the Fender Bass V) was tuned like that. Good luck finding one, though. They were only made briefly and only a few hundred were every made, probably because, back in the 60's, there were very few "lead bassists."
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Quote by kugelspot
For jazzy, lead bass stuff, It will probably be very useful. I don't know where you can find one that comes standard like that nowadays, but the first 5er (the Fender Bass V) was tuned like that. Good luck finding one, though. They were only made briefly and only a few hundred were every made, probably because, back in the 60's, there were very few "lead bassists."

leik ive said thru the thread, im gonna buy a 5 string, a pack of 6 strings and string the higher 5
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
I would love to have a 6 string in the future, I don't find the average 6 string much harder to play than a 5 string, so what the heck.

I had a squier five string as my first bass, and promptly returned it, the neck is wide enough to fit at LEAST 8 strings on it. I have no idea why they made the neck so wide...and it has that wretched ebanol blasphemous stuff for a "fretboard".
Quote by CaptainJack666
leik ive said thru the thread, im gonna buy a 5 string, a pack of 6 strings and string the higher 5

Ya, I know just giving you guys a history lesson
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
i just borrow my cousins bass for a gig( he has a specter 5 string) and i just tune up to tenor tuning i believe they call it which is just EADGC
Peavy Cirrus 5 string
Squire Jazz bass
Berhinger ultrabass head, 450 cabinet
Resident Marvel Comic expert of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
]My band's myspace
http://www.myspace.com/jenovamusicpage