I play jazz areodyne with pick but can play with fingers almost as well. I can play all song both ways but it sounds more sopply wth fingers for me.
when I play with pick at college I get lot stick even if the songs meant to be played wth a pick eg punk.

what examples of may great bass with players that only play with picks or manily.
whats the best way to get finger sound with pick becasue it can be done I heard not the same but close.

Guitar players are allowed the option without stick playing with either and people don't say to guitar player that he has use to plectrum.
Justin Chancellor.

Duff McKageniswjhdfmn (cos I can't spell his name).

Matt whats his face from Rancid.

Various others.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
I personally find it much easier to play with my fingers. I have more control over accents and dynamics. You should try and play with your fingers more, you might find it a lot easier to grasp difficult licks.

It seems to be something that a lot of people do but I cant help but frown up picks used on a bass.

A bassist who uses a pick and gets away with it, Flea.
if you want to sound when playig with your fingers
lightly brush the strings thats all thet is required
if you pluck too hard they can get a harsh sound and hit
off the fret board makig clicks and buzz
Using a pick on a bass should be because it's easier, the reason to use a pick is the same reason to use your fingers, tone. Most people prefer the tone of playing fingerstyle than using a pick, if you like the tone of a picked bass better, use a pick.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
sryflood is right you shoud just play for yourself not others
and one plus for a pick is that it lets you play faster with
more clarity and easy
Quote by srvflood
Using a pick on a bass should be because it's easier, the reason to use a pick is the same reason to use your fingers, tone. Most people prefer the tone of playing fingerstyle than using a pick, if you like the tone of a picked bass better, use a pick.

weird. I find it harder to play with a pick. Either ways, the rest of your post stands.
Quote by Bonesaw
Justin Chancellor, great bassist, uses a pick no big deal

Tool actually wouldn't accept a bassist who didn't use a pick, the guy from QotSA auditioned and the only reason he didn't get in was because he wouldn't use a pick.

(Maybe not QotSA, but some other band, IDK).
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
always thought what suits you best you go for, for instane some people like high action some like really low. some people have emgs some have SDs.
some people play 5 strings or 12 or 2.

I'm just gonna stick with pick unless its for exams or something where I have no choice.
Last edited by jayoel at Sep 18, 2008,
if someone slates you because of preferences in method or the set up you use they're just proving their own ignorance music isnt about conformity it's seting your own
personal style so screw thoes guys in your school
what about covering a song that the band there uses a fingers eg duran duran girls on flim and you play it with pick.
I am going to sound a bit like a curmudgeon here, but this really has been done to death. Both are valid, both have their places. Sigh. Can we just accept this and ignore the folks who haven't gotten the memo?

But Dunlop Jazztone 208s are great for bass picks. Seriously,
Quote by fortysix&2
Tool actually wouldn't accept a bassist who didn't use a pick, the guy from QotSA auditioned and the only reason he didn't get in was because he wouldn't use a pick.

Supposedly Scott Reeder from Kyuss auditioned and the reason he didn't get in was becuase he favoured fingerstyle.

SUPPOSEDLY.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by skullreken
sryflood is right you shoud just play for yourself not others
and one plus for a pick is that it lets you play faster with
more clarity and easy

i find that misleading
i can play ridiculously fast with a pick and at the SAME speed with my fingers
mind you,i can use up to three fingers
its not that hard
First Emo of the Bass Militia PM DinkyDaisy to join
Quote by metaldud536
Did your know your son likes to fap?

Quote by Minkaro
I'd rather shove a Pidgeot up my arse than spend any time with Jimmy Page.

Quote by Table Salt
You win for making me really laugh.

add that:
Myspace
if your looking for a fingered sound while using a pick you need to get some nylon picks
you should check out the Dunlop 1.5 mm Stubby nylon picks. i believe both phil lesh of the grateful dead and mike gordon of phish uses those and they have a awsome fingered sound.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
weird. I find it harder to play with a pick. Either ways, the rest of your post stands.

same with me, although that maybe beacause i use my fingers a lot more than i do a plectrum.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by shdowfox17
i find that misleading
i can play ridiculously fast with a pick and at the SAME speed with my fingers
mind you,i can use up to three fingers
its not that hard

Sorry man I should have made myself clearer
it's easier to buil up to a faster speed with a pick
it takes longer to build up the stamina and dexterity in your fingers

still I prefere to be a finger picker my rythem runsthrough my fingers not my wrist
i prefer pick tone, alot to do with dan andriano etc, tho i try to use fingers when i can eg muse
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Hmm i thought this was gonna be a thread about some crazy new playing style of using a pick while playing with your ring and middle finger at the same time...
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Quote by fortysix&2

hm...i am sorta unsure if this is true. do you have a source?
Quote by AmpleSteak
Hmm i thought this was gonna be a thread about some crazy new playing style of using a pick while playing with your ring and middle finger at the same time...

Already exists - it's called Hybrid picking.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by Nutter_101
Awe damn... I wanted to be the first to do that... Awe well, are there any noteable bassists that use this technique.
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

My Band:
Guitarists notable for their use of hybrid picking

* Chet Atkins
* John Butler
* Glen Campbell
* Roy Clark
* Jerry Donahue
* Tommy Emmanuel
* Danny Gatton
* John Jorgensen
* Wayne Krantz
* Albert Lee
* Lonnie Mack
* Brent Mason
* Roger McGuinn
* Steve Morse
* Will Ray
* Jerry Reed
* Arlen Roth
* Brian Setzer
* Marty Stuart
* Richard Thompson
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Quote by Nutter_101

Man I'm gonna have to try and find a tutorial for that
it sounds realy interesting
Quote by CaptainJack666
Guitarists notable for their use of hybrid picking

* Chet Atkins
* John Butler
* Glen Campbell
* Roy Clark
* Jerry Donahue
* Tommy Emmanuel
* Danny Gatton
* John Jorgensen
* Wayne Krantz
* Albert Lee
* Lonnie Mack
* Brent Mason
* Roger McGuinn
* Steve Morse
* Will Ray
* Jerry Reed
* Arlen Roth
* Brian Setzer
* Marty Stuart
* Richard Thompson

I honestly don't know if any of them are bassists but if it hasn't been done on bass then... IM GONA GETZ FAM0US!!1
Quote by Nutter_101

My Band:
Quote by AmpleSteak
I honestly don't know if any of them are bassists but if it hasn't been done on bass then... IM GONA GETZ FAM0US!!1

i imagine the transfer shouldnt be too difficult, and apologies for the list of guitarists, im tired lol
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
I personally find it a lot easier, faster, and more accurate to fingerpick. This is mainly because i prefer it and feel a pick is too clumsy with a bass so i just play finger style almost every time.

I think avenged sevenfold's bassist plays mainly finger and gets a nice pick-like tone. My dad also told me michael anthony plays finger style but it sounds like a pick, i'm not too sure about that. The bassist from megadeth is good. Metallica's bassists, nirvana's bassist, and a perfect circle's bassist use(d) picks i believe. It depends mainly on what style you'll be playing and which tone suits it better.
I cant play with a pick to hard im used to fingers
CANNIBAL CORPSE

When the silence is gone, what have we become?