I was offered a tech position at a local guitar center yesterday.

I'd only be part-time, and primarily doing on-the-spot setups. I've always considered myself to be pretty decent at basic setups (Action, intonation, truss rod, etc...). I work on all of my friends guitars, but the thought of working on other's guitars has me kinda spooked.

I have an interview on Saturday morning. From what I understand, the manager is going to pull a guitar off the wall and have me go to town on it. A set up in my opinion includes a once over making sure everything is snug, new strings, action/intonation/truss-rod/tremolo adjustments as required, and a complete clean-up of the guitar.

Am I missing anything? Should I bring tools with me? Any specialty tools I should have?

Lots of questions, I really don't want to burn this as it could be a very good oppurtunity for me.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
my advice is have some confidence

you shouldn't feel the need to ask abotu this here if you're good at what you do.. just do it, you'll be fine
yes, if you have some tools that you like to use then bring them in a little gig bag. if they dont want you to use them then they stay in the bag.

as soon as you get the guitar, play it acoustically then look down the neck. a little shake for loose parts, check that the input is snug. click the switch.

play and listen for dead frets.

you want to know what he wants from you.

i'm guessing the strings arent getting changed? and the board isnt getting cleaned?

check if bridge is balanced, then look if truss rod is needed, action is ok, intonation, harmonics, adjust pickup heights.

plug in, move plug around, listen for amplified buzz, test knobs and switch for crackling, lube contact points if they want.

i'm guessing he's going to tell you what he wants, not just say, "ok Setup."
because every client is different.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
If you work on your friend's guitars all the time, just treat it like you would your friend's guitar.

As far as tools, they should have everything you need, BUT if you were to bring your own, it could show them that you're true to your word with working on guitars.

Like was said before. Have some confidence, try and relax, and have fun!

Just think of the discounts!
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Thanks for the excellent advice everyone

I really don't have any tools. I tend to work entirely by feel.

Confidence is a big issue for me. But, I'll balls up and see what happens. The discounts would be nice, and it'd be good to do something I enjoy. I just hope I can meet their standards.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
well guitar center doesnt have a good rep for tech work.

i'm not saying the techs there are bad, they just arent consistent.

so hopefully you can find a seasoned guy there who will take you under his wing, and you can use this job to grow.

take it as a learning experience. relax and know that these are just a bunch of guys who were in your spot, probably not too long ago.

if you get stuck, dont be afraid to ask smart questions.

no one knows everything on their first day.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
well guitar center doesnt have a good rep for tech work...
I kinda figured that

Quote by jj1565
...hopefully you can find a seasoned guy there who will take you under his wing, and you can use this job to grow...
While it can be a good thing, I am apprehensive about things like this. If some guy is going to play head honcho on me and tell me to do something I disagree with (ie: telling me the job is done when I'm not ready to put my name on it), I'm going to management. I don't want to stir the pot first day, but I won't pass off work I consider to be sub-standard.

Quote by jj1565
...take it as a learning experience. relax and know that these are just a bunch of guys who were in your spot, probably not too long ago...
Good call.

Quote by jj1565
...no one knows everything on their first day...
Very true.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头