I got the basic mechanics down, learned a few songs - now I'm learning scales and playing over rhythm trax - I'm finding it much more difficult.

My instructor is an awesome guitarist, but I feel like we go over material way to fast. 3rds 5ths, 6th...ect....i can follow the notes on a fretboard but i still have to think about it.....you know what im saying.

Just wondering if anyone has been where i am at, and if they have any advice. I find its like drinking from a fire hose.

i can move within the minor pentatonic pretty well now, but knowing what notes im hitting an putting them together in slick paterrn - im not there yet.

Just wondering what practice tips and how fast i should be getting better. Im almost anxious to get back to learning / covering songs. because they are more fun and the practice is easier.

I'd love to be able to shred, but i feel so far away -

Thoughts / advice / opinions

TIA,

boyd
You won't be able to shred straight away, it's quite a complex technique that can take months, maybe a year and a half to learn how to do it well.

Anyways, just tell the teacher to slow down if he's going to fast for you, and tell him that you want to learn all the notes. He will most likely teach youhow to learn them, and if he doesn't, then find another teacher. Or use the lessons on here and around the web.

For the record, I don't know the notes around the fretboard still, and I've been playing for almost 3 years, and can improvise like a God. So yeah. You don't have to learn them all.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Tell your teacher to slow down if you feel like you can't keep up. Also practice drills or stuff you find difficult, it's not that much fun but it'll be worth it in the long run.
Quote by Lil Macker
You won't be able to shred straight away, it's quite a complex technique that can take months, maybe a year and a half to learn how to do it well.

Anyways, just tell the teacher to slow down if he's going to fast for you, and tell him that you want to learn all the notes. He will most likely teach youhow to learn them, and if he doesn't, then find another teacher. Or use the lessons on here and around the web.

For the record, I don't know the notes around the fretboard still, and I've been playing for almost 3 years, and can improvise like a God. So yeah. You don't have to learn them all.

umm or a lot longer
Gear:
PRS SE Singlecut, blue with stoptail (my baby)
Line 6 Spider III 75 (shut up)
Epiphone Les Paul standard
Cheapo Yamaha nylon string
even more cheapo Fender steel string acoustic
Quote by humperdunk
umm or a lot longer

Yeah, I know. It is REALLY hard. So don't expect to do it straight away.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker

Wow you're so humble ... btw, it's true that you don't need to know all the notes at each fret by heart... follow your ears before your brain your memory this is music not maths (I know what I'm talking about... :S)

Good luck!