i just formed a babnd but we are all beginnners with our instruments guitar drums bass etc

i wanted to knoe where do you start when making a song and steps afterwards
It sounds like this will be a pretty inexperienced band. Not only are you inexperienced, but you are new as a band. Chances are, you are not ready to begin writing as a band (in fact, if you are a total beginner, you may not be ready to even be in a band). Start by learning some very easy covers, make sure you can all play well and in time with each other, and after everything gets better, maybe consider writing a song.

Trying to write a song now would be pointless. When great musicains get together for the first few times to form a band, they don't start by trying to right something. They play covers and jam, to get a feel for each other's style. An inexperienced band trying to write will be frustrating and will probably break up the band before you learn one song as a group.

I'm not trying to be a total downer here, but if you listen to me, I think you will save yourself a lot of time and harrasment. Playing music should be fun. As I said, start with some covers that everybody in the band knows and work your way up from there.

Hope this helps and good luck.
^ starting with covers is ALWAYS a good idea. pick a song you all know and like. after that pick a couple more songs that a couple of you already know (maybe the bassist and drummer know the song and you don't but you like the song, then learn it)

as for writing as a band thats a give and take process. the best ways i've found are to come in with something you've written and say "i've got this so far, how can we add on to it" and genuinely accept others ideas and criticism as well. writing of actual music can take some time and might be best delegated between the guitarist/s and bass player in the non-practice time when the drummers not really around so you can sit down with your instruments and hammer out all the parts and get everything down so you can present it to your drummer in a rough form and say "heres what we have so far"
start with covers
but when jamming i like to tell my drummer what to do ('cause he says he can't think of anything) like "play a jazz rhythm" and he will, then the bass player'll join in, then me, and then (if we're lucky) the singer'll start makin some words.... if it starts to work write it down, if it's shit flush it down.
Look at as many tabs as you can of bands you like/want to sound like. See how those songs have been constructed. TRYING to write a song does work for some people, but not for me. Personally i prefer to just play around with my instrument for a while and see what happens. If I play something I like I carry on playing it and refining it. Jamming can also work wonders when writing songs as you may hear something another band member is playing and just start playing to it instinctively. Lastly don't afraid of anything, not matter what it is if you like it maybe other people will. If you're in a metal band and you write a lick that isn't "metal" there's nothing to say it might not work in a song.
Quote by 6stringplayer
i just formed a babnd but we are all beginnners with our instruments guitar drums bass etc

i wanted to knoe where do you start when making a song and steps afterwards

spend some time learning and playing songs before you try to write your own. When you're ready to write, you won't have to ask anyone how to do it. You'll do it because you have enough musical experience and will have developed some ideas of your own.
shred is gaudy music
Have this one for free

Verse

E - E - G - A

E - E - G - A

E - E - G - A

E - E - G - A

corus

D - D - B - C

D - D - B - C

D - D - B - C

D - D - B - C

Repeat

-Keep on listening to the great Joe Strummer. Cos through music, we can live forever.
the ultimate beginners cover HOUSE OF THE RISING SUN

perfect in every way

also a drummer shouldn't really need to learn songs, they should be givin their own space kinda thing if you catch my drift
Last edited by whoisthisguy at Sep 27, 2008,