View poll results: Alnico II Pro v. 57 Classics
Alnico II Pro
2 20%
57 Classics
3 30%
Combination (Alnico-bridge, 57-neck)
5 50%
Voters: 10.
I've decided to put some new pickups in my Epi Les Paul Black Beauty (the 2 pickup one) and im torn between the Alnico II Pros and 57 classics. Im a huge Slash fan and thats where i got the idea for the Alnicos but I've heard demos for the 57 classics and those sound amazing as well. I play classic rock and more modern hard rock stuff (foo fighters, velvet revolver, etc.) but i need something that cleans will sound good through too. I was thinking maybe id put a 57 classic in the neck and an alnico in the bridge. Any suggestions as to which option. Any experience with either of the pickups would be great.
Go for the 57 classics, I have SD Alnico Pro II and wheres they are excellent for classic rock, they lack the edge for modern stuff. The 57 classics will have the edge with both.

But beware, Steven Seagull will pop up in this thread and recommend a Seymour Duncan Custom 5'

edit
If you want a combination go for the Alnico Pro in the neck and a 57 classic in the bridge.
Doing it the other way round will have just been a waste of money as it will be the wrong sound you are after.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Last edited by Chrisiphone at Sep 18, 2008,
I will, the 57 classics are overpriced like all Gibson pickups, and the Custom 5 is a better bet for the bridge for the kind of stuff the TS wants to play anyway- also the Duncan 59 is closer to the 57 classic soundwise, arguably it does a better job of a PAF tone.

Expect forsaknazrael to pipe up with something similar in due course...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
now im gonna ask a question thats gonna make me sound like an idiot but ive never really been sure after 5 1/2 years of playing. Bridge pickup is Treble on the selector and Neck is Rhythm right...or is it other way around
Quote by VRAerosmith2
now im gonna ask a question thats gonna make me sound like an idiot but ive never really been sure after 5 1/2 years of playing. Bridge pickup is Treble on the selector and Neck is Rhythm right...or is it other way around

Correct

E-Married to Funny_Page
ok thanks thats i thought that was right. Now the reason i said i was thinking the 57 classic in the neck and the alnico in the bridge is mainly because of this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3kbRbeLZXY . At 5:18 he starts playing with a "solo setting" on the neck pickup and it sounds amazing. But i really want that slash tone hence the Alnico in the bridge. What makes you say it should be the other way around?
Slash plays his solos at the neck, with tone down.

That is why he is recommending the Alnico in the neck, I think.
Quote by VRAerosmith2
ok thanks thats i thought that was right. Now the reason i said i was thinking the 57 classic in the neck and the alnico in the bridge is mainly because of this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3kbRbeLZXY . At 5:18 he starts playing with a "solo setting" on the neck pickup and it sounds amazing. But i really want that slash tone hence the Alnico in the bridge. What makes you say it should be the other way around?

The sound probably has a lot more to do with the amp he's plugged into rather than the pickups.

If you're going to mix an Alnico 2 pickup with an Alnico 5 then you'd put the 2 in the neck and the 5 in the bridge, the 2 is better suited to that position with it's softer attack and warmer tone. Besides most of Slash's "signature" tones are him playing on the neck pickup anyway.

Custom 5 in the bridge and an alnico pro 2, pearly gates of 59 in the neck is your best bet, I'd say go for the Pearly Gates over the Alinco Pro...it's more fun.]

And while you're at it, sell all your amps and buy something good - the biggest obstacle to getting the tone you want is your amplifiers, not your pickups. You'll get some tonal improvement with a pickup swap, but it's not going to be massive and it certainly won't get you appreciably closer to a Slash tone.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Sep 19, 2008,
ok thanks im actually starting to lean toward the 57 classics. Im still not sure though. I have a JCM 2000 DSL50 for an amp so Im not gonna buy anything new there for a while.
Quote by VRAerosmith2
ok thanks im actually starting to lean toward the 57 classics. Im still not sure though. I have a JCM 2000 DSL50 for an amp so Im not gonna buy anything new there for a while.

Ah, didn't see that in your profile.

If you like the 57 classics then don't waste your money, just get a set of Duncan 59's instead - for extra versatility for the heavier sounds that you're looking for and a bit more bite the Custom 5 is still arguably a better choice for the bridge though,
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I swear Steven Seagull gets paid every time he mentions the Custom 5.
Are you secretly working for Seymour Duncan?
Or are you Seymour Duncan?!

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Chrisiphone
I swear Steven Seagull gets paid every time he mentions the Custom 5.
Are you secretly working for Seymour Duncan?
Or are you Seymour Duncan?!

It's because people keep asking pretty much the same question..."I have a Les Paul and I want a bridge pickup that's good for classic rock and blues but can also do a bit of heavier stuff"

Custom 5 wins every time in that case.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Maybe I should have bought one then sounds perfect really.
Not many on ebay though (being skint), but rather like the Alnico Pro's I have

E-Married to Funny_Page
ok so im pretty sure that im going to go the way of the 57 classic and the 57 classic plus. (sorry segull) The lead guitarist in my band just got a gibson les paul custom and its got 57s in it and they sound sexy. Im gonna try it out on my amp today just to make sure but hes basically playing it through the same amp as me. (ive got a DSL hes got a TSL). Thanks for the input.
I agree with azrael and Mark. Gibson pickups, like everything else gibson makes, are hideously overpriced.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by VRAerosmith2
ok so im pretty sure that im going to go the way of the 57 classic and the 57 classic plus. (sorry segull) The lead guitarist in my band just got a gibson les paul custom and its got 57s in it and they sound sexy. Im gonna try it out on my amp today just to make sure but hes basically playing it through the same amp as me. (ive got a DSL hes got a TSL). Thanks for the input.

Your loss, I guess. The Duncans are better, and cost less. BTW, I'd get different pickups from him just so you don't sound the same. You want your tone to be somewhat unique, so you stand out when it's your turn to bust out a solo, don't you?
So I got to try out that Les Paul with the 57's in it and that pretty much settled the neck pickup discussion. I wasnt as impressed with the bridge one. It wasnt quite as hot (i guess thats the right word) as i wanted. Becuase of this im looking into the 57 neck and alnico bridge combination. The 57 classic has a great solo sound and a really nice clean sound but its not too bassy like the stock pickup that i have now. From videos that ive watched the alnico has more of the bridge sound i like. I still want to try a guitar with them before i commit but im thinking that this will get me that sound im looking for. Now im wondering if the two pickups will react well with each other. Is there any reason that it would be a bad i dea to mix like this.
The Alnico pro is a low output pickup, if the 57 classic isn't for you hot enough the Alnico pro certainly won't be. I've already told you why it's a bad idea to put the 57 in the neck and the pro 2 in the bridge - if you want a hotter bridge pickup then get the custom 5.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc