Are any of you metalheads ever stereotyped to being emo?

One day, while agruing, a close friend of mine (who also plays drums, I jam with him occasionally) was really pissed. I asked him if he has ever smoked weed and becomes offended and all, asks why I would ever think that. I honestly just was curious, but gave him a random reason- he listens to music about weed (which he does). He then says to me that he could call me emo because of the music I listen to.
If I were talking to him face to face, he would've died on the spot.
I don't listen to emo music, I listen to metal. I thought he was a metalhead too (even though he was more interested in Metalcore and Job for a Cowboy) but he is an idiot at heart.
And most kids around here think that any music with screaming involved is instantly EMO music. The scene kids (stereotyped as emo kids) might listen to hardcore (called 'screamo' here) but they don't really listen to emo music.
Yeah.
Stuff..

Do you guys get called emo for listening to metal?
hardcore isn't screamo anywhere...
and no, i don't get stereotyped (mostly because none of my friends listen to metal )
Yes, because I am a scenekid. My pants are tighter than the strong force.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Hardcore=/=Screamo

And no.

I get called Bob Marley...
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by darkstar2466

Hes telling the truth.
I didn't say that hardcore was screamo, I just said thats what they call it here. Kids here are genre-ically ignorant when it comes to labels.
And since the scene kids are called emos and listen to music with screaming, people think screaming music means you're emo. Here is how it works in my town.
<genre with screaming vocals> = screamo
screamo = scene kid music
scene kids= emos
put it together and you get
<genre with screaming vocals> = emo
are you calling us genre-illiterate kids?
and most of the people i hang out with are quite well versed on metal (despite listening to almost none of it) because i can't resist a chance to wave my elitist hessian penis in their faces
Last edited by dminishedthingy at Sep 18, 2008,
nah, i think metal is pretty emo. after this post i'm going to go slit my wrists.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Yeah, I'll be listening to some cannibal corpse, and be called an emo, then I just explained the difference to them, emo's kill themselves, brutal metalheads kill other people, and then rape their corpse with a baseball bat
I have never been called emo. The "worst" thing someone said when they found out what kind of music I listen to was: "Oh, so you listen to that shouting music?".

Though I can understand why some people can get confused. Both styles of music have very annoying scenekids.
One time in my gym class Metallica came on the radio they play when they run, all the wiggers said to turn this emo shit off.
Quote by UncleCthulhu
I've had people accuse me of listening to "emo shit" when listening to Opeth.

I have had this.

From a fellow metalhead.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by UncleCthulhu
Except it's not an equation

I didn't know what else to call it. How about;

"TS, your deductive acumen is exceeded only by your good looks and the extraordinary length of your reproductive organ."
life is beautifuuuuooooaaaaaal
real emo > metal

fake emo usually > metal

my music > your music.

end discussion.

Edit: ooooooh! more fun stuff to work with.

slitting wrists =/= emo
scene kids =/= emos
self harm of any kind =/= emo

kinsellas = emo.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
Quote by UncleCthulhu
Except it's not an equation

hah, too true.

I have gotten the whole "metal is emo" schtick, but it was from basically the hottest girl ever, so I very gently told her that is wasn't like that.

I explained that it isn't about "slitting your wrists", as she put it, but about killing other people brutally. Then my friend, who listens to basically nothing except rap/hip-hop, techno, electronica and maybe some punk jumped in and said "It's all about killing and raping your Grandma with a rusty screwdriver. And then eating her."

She was horrified, but it summed it up perfectly IMO
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
Quote by Its_Rock77
real emo > metal

fake emo usually > metal

my music > your music.

end discussion.

Edit: ooooooh! more fun stuff to work with.

slitting wrists =/= emo
scene kids =/= emos
self harm of any kind =/= emo

kinsellas = emo.

life is beautifuuuuooooaaaaaal
Quote by poopsmith666
hah, too true.

I have gotten the whole "metal is emo" schtick, but it was from basically the hottest girl ever, so I very gently told her that is wasn't like that.

I explained that it isn't about "slitting your wrists", as she put it, but about killing other people brutally. Then my friend, who listens to basically nothing except rap/hip-hop, techno, electronica and maybe some punk jumped in and said "It's all about killing and raping your Grandma with a rusty screwdriver. And then eating her."

She was horrified, but it summed it up perfectly IMO

I make jokes about metal all the time though, I'm slowly building up a reputation for randomly interjecting conversations with stuff about necrophilia.

To be honest, that (and my boughts of manic depression) is probably what's been stopping me from getting laid.

Quote by SonataFanica

It's called elitism.

We do it all the time.

Though, I must say, Its_Rock, I disagree on every aspect plausible.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by Psychopathology
What are you talking about? Girls love necrophilia, just not live ones.

I've made a joke like that before

Them: "Ugh, that's gross"
Me: "What? The girls love it really"
Them: "What sort of girl would find that as a compliment?"
Me: "A dead one" *grin*
Quote by Slaytanic1993
It's called elitism.

We do it all the time.

Though, I must say, Its_Rock, I disagree on every aspect plausible.

don't you just love being elitist?

but you shouldn't disagree on every aspect. sure, I can understand that you'd think metal is better than emo and that your music is better than mine. If you didn't think so, you'd all be listening to my music.

but the rest is fact. emo has nothing to do with tight jeans, slick black hair, cutting wrists or anything. those are aspects of the typical scene kid.

and any kinsella band is pretty much the definition of real emo. so yeah.

and I have tons of respect for metal by the way guys. I was just feeling like starting some controversy when I saw this thread.

Quote by darkstar2466

*checks profile*

Psh..bitch I have tighter pants than you do
Well, I disagree on your aspects "fake emo > metal" and etc.

While I do like the music, metal is my baby. Most people (I'd hope) here know the definiton of real emo, as well.

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
i have absolutely no clue what real emo is actually
i'm just fairly certain that i don't like it
but it'd be cool if someone could explain it to me...
Last edited by dminishedthingy at Sep 18, 2008,
although, that'd be awesome. I highly doubt they do. I've found (I'm not singling out metal fans here) that pretty much all of the UG community save the PP&E regulars have no idea what real emo is. and it bothers me.

cause I know what real metal is, why can't it happen the other way around?

Edit: believe me, you wouldn't like it. I'm not gonna lie to you guys, real emo isn't one of my favorite styles of music either.

Last edited by Its_Rock77 at Sep 18, 2008,
Quote by Its_Rock77

cause I know what real metal is, why can't it happen the other way around?

Desensitization of other genres.

Quote by eggsandham2
Quote by Its_Rock77
emo has nothing to do with tight jeans, slick black hair, cutting wrists or anything. those are aspects of the typical scene kid.

Thanks for saying it so I don't have to.

I've long given up on trying to explain what "emo" actually is, as most people seem to not listen when I tell them anyway.

Bands like Cap'n Jazz sound nothing like any of the scene bands today, and it disappoints me to think they are associated with the same label.
Quote by rush4life

Bands like Cap'n Jazz sound nothing like any of the scene bands today, and it disappoints me to think they are associated with the same label.

I like to tell people to listen to "Bluegrassish" to find out what real emo sounds like.
that's not really helping the matter though...

and those of you who went to my profile after I posted that (you know who you are ), what exactly were you looking for?

Quote by Its_Rock77
don't you just love being elitist?

but you shouldn't disagree on every aspect. sure, I can understand that you'd think metal is better than emo and that your music is better than mine. If you didn't think so, you'd all be listening to my music.

but the rest is fact. emo has nothing to do with tight jeans, slick black hair, cutting wrists or anything. those are aspects of the typical scene kid.

and I have tons of respect for metal by the way guys. I was just feeling like starting some controversy when I saw this thread.

I agree with you about real emo (as in emotive hardcore) having nothing to do with that shit, but basically everyone calls this alternative pop-punk type shit emo now.

Quote by Eric 666
*checks profile*

Psh..bitch I have tighter pants than you do

This. By the way, I don't understand why tight pants are associated with scene kids, there are tons of other groups of people who wear/wore tight pants before scene kids.
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Last edited by MetalMessiah665 at Sep 18, 2008,
Quote by Its_Rock77

and those of you who went to my profile after I posted that (you know who you are ), what exactly were you looking for?

they were checking to see if you had tight jeans, slick black hair, and bloody wrists
I work in a homeless refuge for teenagers as a youth worker and get called emo all the time by 75% of the kids because of the music I listen too. Mind you the majority of them listen to Rap and RnB. I also always get "Oh this shit is just RAH RAH music". I forced them to listen to metal all the time when i'm driving it's metal only!
It's very annoying because a) I don't even look emo as I usually wear a band shirt, normal jeans/shorts, have tats, and a shaved head and b) When I was in my mid teens there weren't any emos around and now emo's have ruined all metalheads reputations. Ah, I remember the old days pre emo.
Quote by dminishedthingy
they were checking to see if you had tight jeans, slick black hair, and bloody wrists

I figured as much.

Quote by Its_Rock77
I figured as much.

at least i wasn't one of them
being one of the least stereotypical metalheads i know (as i dress like a prep with polo shirts and colourful plaid shorts and i have hardly any band shirts. i can't wait to get a Death or a Cannibal Corpse shirt and wear it with the aforementioned shorts ) i try not to judge people based on appearance
there are goth kids at my school who listen to the jonas brothers
Quote by MetalMessiah665
This. By the way, I don't understand why tight pants are associated with scene kids, there are tons of other groups of people who wear/wore tight pants before scene kids.

Its all about the way you wear them man...If you wear girl jeans halfway down your ass like a nigger, you're a scene kid, if you wear black/denim, tight jeans like Mr. Kirk Hammett here, you're a metalhead.

Oh and ladies and germs, I think anyone that can search Wiki can find out that emo is emotive hardcore punk formed in the mid-1980's out of Washington D.C and New York I believe.