Can it be done? Can poverty really be made into history?

In this time where the developed world is facing one of the biggest financial crisis in modern times, this might not be the likely topic.
But we're still living here in our homes taking so many things for granted which a kid in africa and other places in the 3rd world wouldn't even dream of.

Isn't it our obligation as the leaders of this planet to ensure everyone lives a healthy and comfortable life? But still majority of the world can only dream of such luxuries that we here take for granted.

So i turn to the wise and learned guys in UG. What could be done to fix the 3rd world and ensure everyone on the planet has the privilege of living a healthy and comfortable life?
It might takes decades, it might even take centuries to make this happen. But do we humans need to continue being self destructive and can we really work progressively to bring about a positive change in this world? What would be needed and what should be done to make this happen?

Can poverty really be made into history? Thats the question and lets discuss.
I think we've helped enough, not sure what else there is to do.
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
It doesn't happen in one shot and it doesn't happen through one person. It needs to be a worldwide collaboration. Too bad everyone is selfish these days.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by rickyy

Yeah, we're doing the best we can. All the hard work exploiting them and downright anally molesting them through various agricultural subsidies and tariffs, I'm not sure what else there is to do either
I've devised a plan to rid the mosquitoes from Africa.
Remove all the Africans from Africa.
Then, bomb the crap out of Africa.
No more mosquito problem.
Then put all the Africans back on Africa.

MC name = Bearrorism
If you're turning to the wise and learned of UG, why post in the Pit?

To answer the question, poverty is a term that is rather fluid, and almost always considered relative. Thus it is unlikely there will never be people who are considered 'poor', by whatever standard it is measured.
Wait till Bob Geldof posts a reply.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by rickyy

What have we done?
All we've done is given them some money and food which was all majorly exploited by the corrupt leaders of their countries.
There are still people in Dafur being killed everyday. There are people in Kenya and Niger starving to death. It might look like a beautiful continent but infact its a very grim place to live!

I know we need a collective effort and its gonna take a long time (which i already meantioned). But its like a hypothetical question. If we were to make a change, what would we need to do to make the change.

Don't just say it can't be done. That the easy, lazy and selfish answer.
After spending 4 months in africa working with a humanitarian aid group the answer is.....

NO

Until they decide for themself they want something better it will not change. Noone can "fix them" they have to fix themself. We can provide stuff to help but until they decide to do something for themself it will not be any better.
Quote by af_the_fragile
What have we done?
All we've done is given them some money and food which was all majorly exploited by the corrupt leaders of their countries.
There are still people in Dafur being killed everyday. There are people in Kenya and Niger starving to death. It might look like a beautiful continent but infact its a very grim place to live!

I know we need a collective effort and its gonna take a long time (which i already meantioned). But its like a hypothetical question. If we were to make a change, what would we need to do to make the change.

Don't just say it can't be done. That the easy, lazy and selfish answer.

Don't worry though, Bono is on the case.
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein
end of the day corrupt african leaders are too blame for the charity that goes missing (mugabe?)

but we could do a hell of alot more, if you care for the cause by fairtade and boycott shit like nestle

that is all.
Quote by Atomic48
Nothing's impossible if you have the proper artillery.

Quote by Prole
In-depth common sense, at your service.

I Witnessed The Glory Of GORHL!

"It all shall fall, by the grace of the people." - ZDLR in Producer.
Quote by Gargantuan
I've devised a plan to rid the mosquitoes from Africa.

They could get rid of all the malaria mosquitoes in africa easy. The problem is it may cause a few cases of breast cancer (probably none) and will maybe kill a few other insects (so environmentalist are against it).
Quote by StratoTele
Do you know what "3rd World" is derived from?

what??

1st world is the developed world.
2nd world is the newly developing/newly industrialising world like China, Taiwan and all.
3rd world is the under developed and developing world like Africa.
I'm sorry but we will never see the day when poverty is history. It would be great but in my eyes its as fictional as somebody traveling back in time. Maybe some day it will happen but it will take lots of work to accomplish. Plus the whole world to cooperate. You will never see that unless a big asteroid was about to hit Earth. But then it will be to late.
Pink Floyd is Teh Best

Xbox Gamertag = Nick Schro

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high
Africans need to learn to stop spreading AIDS all of the place, stop cutting each other to pieces, and learn to be civilized human beings instead of the back-@ss-wards continent they have now.

There's no point in send "relief" if it just goes to warlords and militias and not to the people that actually need it. They need to fix themselves, and then ask for assistance.
Quote by Burnt
Africans need to learn to stop spreading AIDS all of the place, stop cutting each other to pieces, and learn to be civilized human beings instead of the back-@ss-wards continent they have now.

There's no point in send "relief" if it just goes to warlords and militias and not to the people that actually need it. They need to fix themselves, and then ask for assistance.

Yep.
it will never happen. ever.
as long as the federal banks and corporations are in control.
poverty leads to war, and war is profitable.
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
Quote by danielrobbyshor
it will never happen. ever.
as long as the federal banks and corporations are in control.
poverty leads to war, and war is profitable.

this.

but we can sure as hell try dammit
Quote by Atomic48
Nothing's impossible if you have the proper artillery.

Quote by Prole
In-depth common sense, at your service.

I Witnessed The Glory Of GORHL!

"It all shall fall, by the grace of the people." - ZDLR in Producer.
Quote by Burnt

Yup but you see, the main reason why they're so backwards and killing each other is due to poverty and lack of education.

When you barely have enough resources to survive through the day, have no proper schools to educate children and have leaders who're doing nothing, it forces people into becoming rebels and killing each other.
The lack of education leaves them back ward believing in witches and stuff like that.

I think the first thing Africa really needs in the means to better education. If they people are educated enough, they'll stop being so backward and stop killing each other and progress to fix themselves without any further help from the developed world.
people generally dont wqnt to go to school
if theres a chance they'll come back home to
a smoldering pile where there villiage was.
the only way africa is going to do well is if
they find a whole lot of oil or something somewhere,
and can manage to protect & sell it

so unless they find more resources for which to rape the land,
i don't see anything happening, because without that, the big countries & global powers
aren't going to get involved, makes you wonder if they'd rather live like they are now, or live under a 30 year US occupation to get rid of the dictators
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by af_the_fragile
what??

1st world is the developed world.
2nd world is the newly developing/newly industrialising world like China, Taiwan and all.
3rd world is the under developed and developing world like Africa.

You fail.
It is derived from the fact that 1/3 of the world is in that condition.
As long as there is profit to be made peace is out of reach.

Capitalism relies on shafting someone, the 3rd world is a prime target. We can buy stuff from them for practically nothing and sell it at millions, so we will, because paper with £££ or $$$ printed on it means more to too many people than starving hungry people in a continent thousands of miles away they'll probably never see.
Quote by StratoTele
You fail.
Eh, not according to wikipedia.

I'm afraid it appears that you fail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_world
Normally I'd be saying something along the lines of

"yeah we can always try blah blah blah"

but right now I think a fair few of the "world leaders" need to maybe focus on their own countries for a while otherwise the 3rd world will pretty much just be, the world.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Poverty is controlled. Investors see nothing in trying to bring Africa out of destitution.
Quote by StratoTele
Do you know what "3rd World" is derived from?

The earth is actually 3 little planets pushed together. I live on the cool one.
Well, if for a day the money spent in guns went into charity, we would be without poverty for years. It can be done. Not in our generation. Hopefully, in some generations.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by StratoTele
You fail.

To post a serious response...
The only real solution with guaranteed results is to let them be for a time (with limited interference such as advice and technology). Many wrongs will no doubt be committed, but eventually order will prevail.
Until we find a cure for aids, I sure as hell don't want them running around.

That and they have no infrastructure, basically no economy outside the mining industry, and their leaders are either overthrown every 5-10 years or they rule with an iron fist to stay in power, therefore they have no hope of establishing a stable economy and emerging from the third world.

It's not my fucking job to help them. Give all your money to charity, but my country's got enough problems at the moment that I don't give a shit about some piss-poor Africans whose lifespan is 38 years.
Aid isn't the way to help developing countries. It is through economic reform and international trade. I would've thought thatd be glaringly obvious to everyone, considering only something like 10% of bilateral aid actually reaches its target
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to