so i just started a band and am wondering what the hell to do. I have no idea on what to write. how to write and how to practice as a band. Your input would be greatly appreciated. Btw we are going to try and play stuff that sounds like early avenged sevenfold.

Thanks,
Tom
Barney= Anti-christ?

Quote by MightyAl
When I switched off my targetting computer, and dropped a proton torpedo down an exhaust port less than 2m wide.

Quote by amazing FretMan
pshhh...it isnt any bigger than a womp rat...i did the same thing in my t-16 back home
Give up.

No, but srsly, this is something you just have to figure out with each individual band. Just wing it, figure out what makes the best songs.
idk trying to sound like avenged sevenfold isnt a good idea.

but definatly when u go to sleep listen to a different cd everytime

dont stay in one genre of listening!

and for lyrics just start of with a title and then it comes
Plan, plan, plan your rehearsal times and what songs you'll be doing.

You'll just mess around otherwise. At college (I do music) we have to plan what we're doing before they even open the door into our studio.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

big thing is never try to sound like anything
just write music and see what happens
thats what good bands do i mean name one famous band that was like we want to sound like them
My Gear:
Epiphone LP-100 Lefty Heritage Cherry Sunburst
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
Line 6 Spider III 15W Amp
Korg AX3000G Multi-Effect Processor
Quote by hawaiiwillsink
idk trying to sound like avenged sevenfold isnt a good idea.

but definatly when u go to sleep listen to a different cd everytime

dont stay in one genre of listening!

and for lyrics just start of with a title and then it comes

+1

Most of my best tracks come from titles, or a fictitious situation or scene, your best bet is, to just figure out which songs the band as a whole likes, cover them for a couple of weeks, then just go on to write your own stuff, Jam it out, then start throwing things into the mixing bowl...

Gibson Buckethead Les Paul & Peter Frampton Les Paul
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
EHX Memory Man/Hazarai
Digitch Whammy
Sovtek Straight 4x12
Herdim Picks
Laney Linebacker 50 Reverb
MXR Phase 90
just play

let the drummer get a beat then the bass with rythm then start strumming or something with the guitar

you can figure out lyrics as you go along

oh and by the way dont try and sound like someone else. just be you and thats pretty much it and if you like some band's style learn their songs and you'll have some idea in wat to play
Thank you all, this has helped me alot. Im just gonna keep practicing riffs. I think i have something similar to writers block though cause ive been coming up with shit the last month or so. lol
Barney= Anti-christ?

Quote by MightyAl
When I switched off my targetting computer, and dropped a proton torpedo down an exhaust port less than 2m wide.

Quote by amazing FretMan
pshhh...it isnt any bigger than a womp rat...i did the same thing in my t-16 back home