My previous guy who did all my guitar work for me has lost his workplace , so I was thinking this would be a good oppurtunity for me to start doing my own guitar stuff when it comes to repairs.
I would like to learn to solder without the hassle of twilight classes, so does anyone know any good ways of learning?
If i learnt I would also mod games controllers etc so it would be fairly multi-use
I also need a good recommendation for soldering irons
thanks
Quote by Td_Nights
*Points to Above Poster*

Best. Username. Ever.

Quote by _-Joey-_
I wish I was gay...

PSN- td_rules Steam- tdrules
Quote by forsaknazrael
http://geofex.com/Article_Folders/how_to_solder.htm

Go to your local electronics shop, grab any 15-40W soldering iron.
As for learning, just practice. Maybe on only circuit boards...but some perfboard, and solder some components to it..

wow thanks a lot
Quote by Td_Nights
*Points to Above Poster*

Best. Username. Ever.

Quote by _-Joey-_
I wish I was gay...

PSN- td_rules Steam- tdrules
Soldering is really easy, once you've successfully soldered like three joints, you're in.

If people pay for classes on this then i'm starting my own school.
My Sig Is Coming Soon
Try Youtube they help have some good tutorials, its good to have a visual aid it helped me out.
I would not go 15 watts... for a beginner, I would say 25-30. Avoid Wellers. they made good stuff at one point int ime, but the bits all screw in now and don't lock and come loose. Once you get experienced, move up to a variable wattage gun. I have 150 soldering/400 heating Craftsman Professional. It takes some skill to use due to it's size, and you need to know how long you can keep it on to form the joint, as it can cook pots, but it's great for grounds, soldering to trem claws, and doing other projects as well. It's touch and go, no need to hold it on to heat the joint. But again, only go to something like that once you know what you're doing, as otherwise you'll do more harm than good to what you're working on and probably injure yourself.
If your really want to get into soldering ALOT, I would highly recommend a Weller soldering iron.
Mine recently died (need to replace the heating element), But its seen almost daily use since around 1983.
Quote by CodeMonk
If your really want to get into soldering ALOT, I would highly recommend a Weller soldering iron.
Mine recently died (need to replace the heating element), But its seen almost daily use since around 1983.

I had an old Weller too... replaced it because the tip was locked with a screw that came apart. but now they don't lock with a screw. I don't know if Weller make a screw locking one anymore or if anyone else does. Probably not though at the expansion and cooling weakens the metal and causes it to come apart. Newer ones though come loose every time you use them it seems, and my bit didn't hold up well. Maybe mine was a dud bit wise, but I've read some reviews of the newer Wellers and they mention the bit coming loose.
Actually Wellers have really high reputations, even today. I mean ask around for a soldering iron recommendation on DIY stompbox forums (such as DIYstompboxes.com, lol), and you'll hear 90% Weller.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Quote by CJRocker
I had an old Weller too... replaced it because the tip was locked with a screw that came apart. but now they don't lock with a screw. I don't know if Weller make a screw locking one anymore or if anyone else does. Probably not though at the expansion and cooling weakens the metal and causes it to come apart. Newer ones though come loose every time you use them it seems, and my bit didn't hold up well. Maybe mine was a dud bit wise, but I've read some reviews of the newer Wellers and they mention the bit coming loose.

Hey you said something about cooking pots, I put in a pickup recently and I get almost no output from it and perfect output from the one I didn't solder, would the lack of output perhaps be from burning up the pot?

burning up the pot...hmm
My Setup:
Dean VMNT(Metallic Silver)
LTD DV8-R (Snow White)
Randall RG100sc
EHX Metal Muff
Quote by thesockmonster

Sarcasm: Killing any chance you ever had at scoring this guitar, since 1895.

THE TREND IS OVER!!!!