Poll: which amp is right for me
Poll Options
View poll results: which amp is right for me
Marshall MG100HDFX Head
4 15%
Vox Valvetronix AD100VTH 100w Guitar Amp Head
22 85%
Voters: 26.
im looking for a better sound to replace my line 6 hd75 head and i narrowed it down to 2 heads

Vox Valvetronix AD100VTH 100w
Marshall MG100HDFX

Im looking for a good strong tone. not so digital sounding like my HD75.
Im also looking at variety of tone from clean to a stevie ray vaughan style blues tone to a modern high gain tone. if you can help thatd be great thanks.
you need to rethink your choices more.
get a tube combo amp it will suit you better.
marshall mg is a horrible amp that is a babystep above the line 6 you got

the vox valvetronix is ok but the tone isnt amazing or anything.

tube combo is your answer. (not valveking)
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
dude, you don't need a 100 watt head. they're just too damn loud. get a smaller tube amp, like 20-30 watts. that should be plenty for gigging and practicing.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
yes...20-30 watts tube is almost too loud for practicing. and its much louder than a drum set
Gear:
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
I'm trying to find a head to replace my HD75. Gigging amp not practice.
I dont need a small amp. already have a little practice amp.
Max price range?

Most important tone (there are not many amps that can give the range you want.)
hey man why the solid state halfstack if any thing go for a tube combo or one of these for 130$ more than the valvetronix
Ibanez Rg prestige 2550z
Valveking 212
price range $250-400
Im trying to get a more of a jazz tone but the thing is i also play high gain metal. I'm trying to find what my HD75 lacked which is a good Mid gain sound. the line 6 crunch does not at all create the tone im trying to get. I'm trying to get a stevie stlye tone more. but i play a range from stevie, fall of troy, Winds of plague, maylene and the sons of disaster, every time i die, an endless sporadic, joe satriani, vai, etc. i play an extremely broad range. from jazz to metal to acoustic to rock, country, raggae sometimes even.
Make a descision. What do you want more right now. A good clean amp, or a good gainy amp.

In that pricerange, without buying a modeler, you cannot have both.
Just get a whole new amp altogether.

First of all, get a tube amp. Hand down, they're amazing. Secondly, do you know how loud a 100 watt half-stack is? Go to Guitar Center and try cranking it up past 5. Point is, a 30 watt all-tube amp is all you will ever need.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
well just from what ive heard the tone from the valvetronix is supposed to have a great range of tones to it and basically im trying to find a more alive sound. Im not sure about high or clean which is more. i just want an amp that can be a good mixture. im tired of line 6 and im just looking for a new head and those were the two that came across as my best choices. considering valve tronix's wide range of tone and the marshall having from what ive heard a good tone. i live in a very metal music scene and i am trying to work away to get a more varied sound to my band. vs all metal i want to work in some blues etc.
dude. the vox is practically solid state.

step 1. BUY A TUBE COMBO

step 2. GET PEDALS FOR THE DIFFERENT TONES YOU WANT (or even a modeler)

step 3. BE HAPPY KNOWING YOU DIDNT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON SOMETHING YOU WILL WANT TO UPGRADE IN A FEW MONTHS.
Gear:
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
I concur with everyone else here. Sell your cab, and that should leave you with enough for a real good tube combo. As it is, you probably have enough right now for a 50w Crate tube amp, which has a great tone.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by maiden_mexico
dude. the vox is practically solid state.

step 1. BUY A TUBE COMBO

step 2. GET PEDALS FOR THE DIFFERENT TONES YOU WANT (or even a modeler)

step 3. BE HAPPY KNOWING YOU DIDNT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON SOMETHING YOU WILL WANT TO UPGRADE IN A FEW MONTHS.

this
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Also If your bought a all tube 2x12 combo that would be REALLY loud and sound good. Plus If you buy a 100 watt head which I agree-Loud as **** You wouldn't be able to crank it at all to get the best sound out of it.
Gear-
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland Micro Cube
Les Paul Studio
Ibanez Rg440 Roadster II Series
Gibson Flying V
SE Custom Paul Allender edition
Frankenstrat Replica (that I made)
Guild Madeira Nylon acoustic.
Fender P Bass
Ampeg 1x14
Quote by erikdelay
price range $250-400
Im trying to get a more of a jazz tone but the thing is i also play high gain metal. I'm trying to find what my HD75 lacked which is a good Mid gain sound. the line 6 crunch does not at all create the tone im trying to get. I'm trying to get a stevie stlye tone more. but i play a range from stevie, fall of troy, Winds of plague, maylene and the sons of disaster, every time i die, an endless sporadic, joe satriani, vai, etc. i play an extremely broad range. from jazz to metal to acoustic to rock, country, raggae sometimes even.

You want a tube amp, not solid state.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The vox if I'm forced to pick one of the two.
All of us went thru this at one time. That's why alot of pro's will have a high gain 1/2 stack sitting beside a fender twin. A jack of all trades amp is a comprimise.
If you are not willing to comprimise, then keep your HD for the heavy stuff and get a small cheaper tube amp for the clean and low gain stuff.
The crate V series is on clearance now for like $200. Go play one. I grabbed a V18 for $150. Read the reviews on Harmony Central. Surprisingly good from the likes of Crate.
Good pedals ain't cheap either, so be careful there.
I have had decent success with some of Behringers pedals that are really cheap. I really like the VT911 tube driven OD. Really nice distortion box for like $35. Again, if you expect it to be great, then get our your soldering iron and get a mod kit.
There are so many bandwagoners on this thread...
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Quote by HLrocker
There are so many bandwagoners on this thread...

I don't see one - he's said he wants better mid gain tones, a more lively sound which I take to mean better dynamics, better crunch and he's also listed a few artists as examples....he's basically described some of the key qualities that distinguish tube amps from solid state.

Methinks it's time for you to get off the bandwagon bandwagon Spiderboy .
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Sep 19, 2008,
Everyone always says tube combo is the answere for everything.
Someone could come on here and ask for a cure for cancer and someone would tell them they need a tube combo.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
How about reading the thread and making an informed response instead of regurgitating bollocks you've read in other threads in a pathetic attempt to be different for the sake of it.

Come back when you know what you're talking about....

...everyone knows that the cure for cancer is to rub icy hot on it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

+1 on what steven seagull is saying.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?