Okay i am not able to make guitars just now because i dont have the premesis to have a bandsaw etc inside. i was wondering if it would be feasable to hire or use a cnc machine from a company to cut and rout a few guitars, or is this a complicated/expensive business?
Yes, complicated setup.

Warmoth builds custom parts for you. There's a ton of parts on Ebay you can buy and construct something out of.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
We have a CNC router at my school, for making CO2 powered balsa wood cars. Its crazy complicated just setting the damn thing up so the piece of wood's in the right spot, let alone doing the CAD drawing and programming router commands. But then again. I guess people who work in that field would know what's what if you came to them with a decent STL (stereolithography image, I believe most CNC's use them).
Quote by masterohumans
there is something wrong with you that has nothing to do with that instrument you want to build.
My mates Dad bought one for his work and no joke, $1mil...

It's stupidly hard to get running, but once you do it's amazing see it build a lawn chair in 12 seconds.
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
Yeah I mean if you had permanent access to one it would be great for guitars, but to hire one would be rediculous, it would end up being very expensive for the time you would need it just to get one body out of it (if you had access to one, then all bodies following the first perfect one would be easy as pie)

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Expect $60+ per hour, for design and cutting. Allow an hour to cut a carved top (maybe two hours) and 8-40 hours of design work.

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
If you had Autocad an knew how to use it that would get you pretty far in having the machine carve out the body for you. But no CNC machine works isnt cheap. If you were gonna make a bunch of guitar bodies might work out. But to do 10 not really be cheaper to buy em premade.
Quote by ormsby guitars
Expect $60+ per hour, for design and cutting. Allow an hour to cut a carved top (maybe two hours) and 8-40 hours of design work.

Damn, I always thought they would be able to carve them out faster than that.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
LMFAO... complicated??? A CNC router?!?! LoLoLoLoLoLoL. WoW... if you guys only knew what I could do on a CNC... I program 12 axis mill/turn centers like it's nothing...

I may be buying a Fadal VMC3016 for $9000... it's perfect size for bodies and necks and rigid enough for aluminum and steel... hence the reason I wouldn't buy a CNC router... they can't cut metal.

As far as farming out to a company, it's going to be expensive... in jersey, the minimum CNC prices are about 75-100 an hour plus materials and tooling costs. Unless you're going to make 100 bodies, it's not worth it to have them made because, while the programming is simple, they'll charge you a minimum of 2 hour set up time, 1 hour run time and toss in an additional 1 hour to clean up the machine... you'd pay $500 for the first body... if not more.
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by *'-'*
We have a CNC router at my school, for making CO2 powered balsa wood cars. Its crazy complicated just setting the damn thing up so the piece of wood's in the right spot, let alone doing the CAD drawing and programming router commands. But then again. I guess people who work in that field would know what's what if you came to them with a decent STL (stereolithography image, I believe most CNC's use them).

CNC programming does not typically involve STL files because they are not true geometry. An STL file is a series of triangles used to create freatures and therefore are not as accurate as a parasolid, step or native CAD geometry. If you want a CAD file for a "standard" body shape you can find them readily on the internet. As far as programming goes, if you have a good CAD drawing, programming on a CAM system is cake

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
CNC programming does not typically involve STL files because they are not true geometry. An STL file is a series of triangles used to create freatures and therefore are not as accurate as a parasolid, step or native CAD geometry. If you want a CAD file for a "standard" body shape you can find them readily on the internet. As far as programming goes, if you have a good CAD drawing, programming on a CAM system is cake

My bad. I thought I read in the manual it was STL, it must've been something different.
Quote by masterohumans
there is something wrong with you that has nothing to do with that instrument you want to build.
probably step format... stp

also, stl files are good for rapid prototyping on 3D printing machines... those things are pretty awesome

phone a local place and tell them its a "sample" you want making
-Keep on listening to the great Joe Strummer. Cos through music, we can live forever.
Quote by jscustomguitars
CNC is cheating, you may as well go buy a factory made guitar.

i would rather not pay like an extra 2 grand for a PRS rosewood neck and quilt top haha.
Even after the guitar comes off the CNC, there's a lot of finish work involved. They only rough them out, and a lot of sanding is necessary.

Don't assume a CNC pumps out something thats ready for paint. However, it does knock out the majority of the shape and all the little stuff like pickups and radii.

Oh, and Mr. CNC Expert above, when you're done LOL'ing, realize that 99.9% of the world doesn't have your ability to work wonders on a CNC machine. Most of us have no contact with them. If you can build some mystical things, please do post your latest guitar build.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
I don't think CNC are "cheating", but having said that, I don't think a guitar made on a CNC machine should be as expensive as a handbuilt one. PRS and ESP are way overpriced in my opinion. I think a custom 22/24 shouldn't be more than $1,800.00 for a top 10 or artist. ESP shouldn't be more than a grand. Now an Ormsby, or a Jet guitar is a true musically functioning work of art and their price is well deserved. Just my opinion though....