Hi, Just wanted to thank everybody in advance for any replies but I have a very newbie question. I've been playing guitar for about 7 months and would like to know how you know when to change strings, outside of them breaking of course. I'm thinking it might be time but I'm not really sure.
i change my strings when 1. they break (duh) 2. i notice dirt 3. they sounds bad 4. You can see the string starting to break
<\\\SuBLiME\\\> ~ ~ ~~

This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help him on his way to world domination ...
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Are they rusty? Dirty? Do they still stay in tune? Are they lifeless, like they've lost a lot of their tone?

I usually change mine every 5 or 6 months because I'm lazy and cheap. Some people prefer to change every month or couple weeks. In my opinion, seven months is a fairly long time and given that strings aren't terribly expensive I'd say go ahead and change em.
Breedlove Studio D25/SM Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMGs
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
yeah...... sad but true the answer is pretty much like any other. Budget. Obviously you would want to change strings as often as possible..... to an extent. I usually change every 2-3 weeks. Depends on how many hours you're on them. All of those "string saver" products IMO only accelerate the deterioration of the strings. As soon as it's not smooth to slide up and down I usually change.

You can't beat fresh strings and your overall tone is way better anyway..... so change em whenever you can.
96 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop
95 Strat w/ Lindy Fralins
Ibanez JS1000
Orange AD30HTC
Vox AC30
Blue Alnico Cab
Budda Wah
Barber Tone Press
Keeley NOVA Wah
Pederson Strobo
Keeley TS-808
HBE Chorus
T-Rex Delay
Red Witch Moon Phase
Yeah, what Jason said. Budget always seems to be a critical factor, especially amongst us poor guitarists. I personally will usually only change mine when they break, and a few times maybe when I'm feeling rich, and I try to buy a 5-pack of strings to save more money in the long run.
If you like bright change them often. If you like the played-in sound change them less often but wash and dry your hands before you play regardless and keep your guitar in it's case when not playing. Both duties will prolong string life.
Last edited by Akabilk at Sep 19, 2008,
Phosphor Bronze strings last longer than regular Bronze, but Bronze are cheaper. Try looking into some inexpensive strings that you might be able to change more often. You may be able to find a set of more expensive strings you feel you don't need to change for months. It really does depend on how much you play.
But yes, sound bad = change
Dirt = try cleaning a little, see if its any better, still not good? Probably change
Break = Hmm... unless you are going without a string, replace.
Some people change theirs every few weeks, others don't change them for a few months. I would probably say assuming you play relatively regular, within every 5 months.
Speaking of el cheapo strings. Musician's Friend has Musician's Gear strings for only $2. That's probably enough reason to grab a few for backup and maybe see about changing them every few weeks or a month too.
Quote by JasonUGA311

You can't beat fresh strings and your overall tone is way better anyway..... so change em whenever you can.

Ehh... That's more of an opinion. I hate the sound of freshly changed strings. Give them 4 or 5 days and they sound much better.

On topic, after 7 months you could probably do with a change.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
three months is the longest you should go without changing, i change mine once every 2 or 3 months because im really lazy.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^