I have an equation 4.18 x 1 x 33 =? and i have to put the answer in significant figures, the answer is 137.94 in the equation the lowest number of significant figures is 1 so what should my answer be... it cant just be one because it holds to the hundreds value
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
i got the same thing in my chem class. i dont understand it at all. sry im of no help
Is your name Mike? Do you want to be everyone's friend? Do you look similar to lots of other people? If so click here

Quote by LesPaulLeader08

Fucking win S&R!
It's 100... Deville why did I think you were older than me?
Quote by Jackintehbox
This man knows his beverages.
Quote by 7daycrisis
^somebody get this man 30 million dollars.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I think I love you. I consider you a prominent UGer.
Quote by Stormx
90.200.36.223 is my IP. Try me.
I hate the sig figs bullshit. I see 5, but I don't know if your teacher wants you to round or what

EDIT: OH MY GOD, I JUST TYPED SHIT WITH NO CODE IN IT AND IT DIDN'T GET CENSORED!
idk. are you sure its one hundred?
It's 100

This, just had a test on significant figures on Friday.
"I was influenced to play the guitar after I saw the guy on Power Rangers do it. I figured it would be easy, since a guitar is basically a big kazoo."

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Blues Deville(For now... FOR SALE )
Quote by C.C. Deville

If you're supposed to have only 1 sig. figure, then it would be 100
Quote by C.C. Deville

Yeah definitely. The 1 in the problem makes it round to 1 sig fig, so it rounds to 100 because with out a decimal trailing zeros don't count.
Quote by Jackintehbox
Quote by 7daycrisis
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Quote by Stormx
alright thanks guys
that is the answer. it wants your to round from the first number, closes rounded number is 100, if it asked 2 sig figs then the answer would be 140.
see how that works?
100, do you have a Ti-84 Silver Edition calculator? Theres a program that does sig figures on there.
Quote by GaijinFoot
that is the answer. it wants your to round from the first number, closes rounded number is 100, if it asked 2 sig figs then the answer would be 140.
see how that works?

You're quick on the edit button my friend. I was just going to point out that it was 140, not 130.
Quote by top shelf

I couldn't do it [masturbate] with the cast on however. That's when I dug out my baby sister's stuffed animals and went to town

Quote by Tubyboulin
Is it bad that I imagined you saying that in a really sexy voice?
just had a quiz on this BS today. makes no sense. plus my chem teacher has a heavy indian accept, further decreasing my understanding of the subject
Quote by Union Jake

Long story short, 10 minutes later we were all sat there jerking off. (Our own, not each others)

Quote by Union Jake
How am i gay? I was jerking it to the women, and i didn't look at my roomates things.
Quote by C.C. Deville
I have an equation 4.18 x 1 x 33 =? and i have to put the answer in significant figures, the answer is 137.94 in the equation the lowest number of significant figures is 1 so what should my answer be... it cant just be one because it holds to the hundreds value

well are there exact values? are you dealing with stuff like grams, moles, or seconds? because if there are exact values is chem than those figures do not apply when doing sigfigs its the non-exact values that count
Quote by nincompoop
potcorn56, you are a god.
Quote by Skierinanutshel
question...to be picky.....where are the decimal points. is it "1." or just"1" ... it does matter

The decimals only matter if you have zeros at the end like 130 vs. 130. (2 sig figs vs 3)
Quote by Jackintehbox
Quote by 7daycrisis
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Quote by Stormx
Quote by synpet713192
I hate the sig figs bullshit. I see 5, but I don't know if your teacher wants you to round or what

EDIT: OH MY GOD, I JUST TYPED SHIT WITH NO CODE IN IT AND IT DIDN'T GET CENSORED!

Holy crap I quoted you and you're right!
Quote by BillieJoeFreak:
The decimals only matter if you have zeros at the end like 130 vs. 130. (2 sig figs vs 3)

not necessarily. after two years of analytical chem lecture/lab, and being a chem major, they still matter. the answer could be 138 depending on how you look at it.
no because 1 and 1. are different. if 1 is a perfect number it has infinite sig figs which changes everything. 1. only has one.
i have a 'white guitar'
i like how people answer x1 x33 without asking if those are identities or actual data, if its identities you can use all figure as signifigant, if the 1 is an identity and the 33 is also you can use all sig figs, if the one isn't an identity you can only use one, and if the 33 isnt one you can use 2
uhhh gear.....
schecter 006 elite... ze red one..
line 6 hd150 head and 412 cab,
Last edited by hijeopi at Sep 18, 2008,
its definitely 100. Or in scientific notation its 1 x 10^2
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████