Ok so i have a Lace Huntington, which is pretty good guitar but not really for metal. I'm going to replace the humbuckers but i would like to know

What are good pickups that arent too expensive
AND
Do i have to install them myself
you dont need to install them yourself if you get them done by a technician, but i STRONGLY suggest you install them yourself, for tech experience and also it costs alot less money.

id say for metal try some seymour duncans. EMG's are good too but tend to be more expensive, plus some are active, which is a whole other realm in installing concerns....
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
what you should do is build them youself, it is not that hard to do, and then you an show of to your friends.
^^You guys know that all three of those companies make everything from vintage single coils to screaming metal 'buckers, so just saying "DiMarzio" gives him nothing he didn't know before.

TS, what amp do you have?
Seymour duncan is better. Dimarzio tend to be not agressive enough for some players and EMG passive suck, acive are better but you can not install those yourself
i was thinking of getting dimarzio dp100 super distortion or something called like golden age super wound(they're pretty cheap) would that be good
Quote by marianoarnaiz
Seymour duncan is better. Dimarzio tend to be not agressive enough for some players and EMG passive suck, acive are better but you can not install those yourself

How can you generalize an entire company like that? Have you personally tried every model from those brands? Didn't think so.

TS, what amp do you have?I feel like I'm repeating myself here.
Also, what do you consider too expensive?

Seymour Duncan, Dimarzio, EMG.... all make pickups good for metal, but doesn't do you any good if they're out of your price range.

Plus, if you have a Cube 30... new pickups won't make all THAT much of a difference.

Not ragging on the Cube 30 (I own a Microcube myself), but it's a solid state, modeling amp. What most people tend to forget, is that modeling amps "model" the signal being input to sound like a specific.... well.... amp model. So although you might get slight differences in tone, it won't be very significant as the amp's going to try to make them all sound like they're coming from a modeled amp anyway. Which makes spending money on high end pickups, kind of a waste of money. That is, unless you plan on upgrading the amp some time in the future.

On that train of thought though, I'd upgrade the amp first, then the pickups.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Last edited by Hakael at Sep 19, 2008,