hey guys my band has decided to move down a whole step from d to c tuning for a lower heavier sound. my 10-46 now flop around way too much. any suggestions for string size. i like have liquidity in my strings just not this much.
Common sense would dictate you try .11s. If those aren't enough try .12s
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
With that low of tuning your probably gonna need to adjust the action on your guitar.
.11 works just fine for me in drop C.
All your base are belong to us.
Quote by dfinch10
With that low of tuning your probably gonna need to adjust the action on your guitar.

He only dropped a step. If he throws .11s on he might have to tighten up his truss rod a bit, but its nothing a little read and a bit of patience can't solve.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
yeah i thinking the truss rod which really isn't anything major to do. it's just where i live the only good music shop is like 30 mins away. i was just going to ask before ordering strings or wasting the gas.
25.5" scale or 24.75"?
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Stating to use "11's" is too vague. Which 11's???

11-48?
11-49?
11-50?
11-52?

I depends on how much tension you want on the 6th string. If you want it tight, use 11-52. If you want it a little looser use 11-50
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
I used 12-52 for standard C but I found it to be too flabby so I switched to 13-60 and now I'm much happier.
I play in Drop-D and Drop-A pretty frequently. All my life I used Ernie Ball 10's, but this year I found out that Ernie Ball makes a set called "Skinny Top, Heavy Bottom". Basically, the first 3 strings are from the "10's" set - 10-13-17.... and the bottom 3 strings are 30-42-52. For me, these 3 bottom strings were too thick. I gave them a week, but my hand never got used to it. They sounded great, but it was impacting my technique....

So I tried Ernie Ball "11's" and they were perfect for me. They sound great and they are the perfect medium for me.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Jackson Soloist SL2H
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Epiphone AJ200SCE Acoustic-Electric
Epiphone Embassy
Vintage Audition Mystery Guitar
B-52 AT100
Vox VT80
Quote by sabbathu
I play in Drop-D and Drop-A pretty frequently. All my life I used Ernie Ball 10's, but this year I found out that Ernie Ball makes a set called "Skinny Top, Heavy Bottom". Basically, the first 3 strings are from the "10's" set - 10-13-17.... and the bottom 3 strings are 30-42-52. For me, these 3 bottom strings were too thick. I gave them a week, but my hand never got used to it. They sounded great, but it was impacting my technique....

So I tried Ernie Ball "11's" and they were perfect for me. They sound great and they are the perfect medium for me.

Oh I love Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottoms!

On-Topic: 11's will probably do fine for drop C, but I like using 12's for drop tunings. Gives you the room to maybe drop it down to A if need be.
Zack Wylde uses 60-52------11 for E standard
That way you can hit the strings really hard and have
the strings closer to the pickups than if it was smaller guage,
apart from the face of the more tone and depth in the chunk range

I would suggest

60---52---40---28---18----14 25.5 scale

70---60---48---30---19---15 for 24.4 scale

If you would try those heavy gauges you'll get use to it
and never turn back. You'll find that the difference between
14's and 11's is 3 hairs Thicker picks prefer thicker strings
as well so you really pick what ever you are comfortable with using.
You may not like thick gauges, but to me there is little difference in feel,
but in tone and how hard I prefer to play, it suits me fine. Besides I can go
3 steps lower than G if needed which is over kill.

My suggested guages are designed for the following tunings

--A standard
-Drop-A
--B Standard
-Drop-B
--C Standard
-Drop-C

But note that you can tune to EADGBE If you want to, they will not break

If ur kind of new to guitar and haven't played for many hours I wouldnt use
the guages I use LOL

12-56 is a better guage
Gear
-ENGL Fireball Head
-Vader Cab 2X12
-Maxon OD-808
-MXR-10 Band EQ

ESP Custom 25.5" Scale
-Duncan Distortion SH-6 (B)
-Duncan 59 SH-1 (N)
If you have not so strong fingers, or a 24.75 scale neck, I woul go with Daddario 12-56 jazz strings. Dont let the name fool you, they rock for metal. I used them for years.

If you have strong fingers, up the guage to 13, or if you have a 25.5 neck, id still stay with the 12-56 mentioned previously.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
i'm going to be using 11-50's. simply because i play an Ibanez Sabre on stage. i still dive bomb and pull up like crazy so i need the liquidity. thanks.