I'm flying continental tomorrow and the linear length (L+W+H) has to be under 51". My guitar is 57 linear inches in a soft bag... i dont want to check/be forced to check it since im already checking 2 bags, and the third one is $100.

Should i just mail/fedex/ups it instead?
are you looking to get shot or cavity searched?
Quote by MeRcI-BuCkEtS
Evolve?

Evolve Festival 2007: Aug. 2nd, 3rd & 4th!!!
Evolve Festival 2008: July 25th, 26th & 27th!!!
Evolve Festival 2009: July 17th, 18th & 19th!!!
Sunflower Valley
Antigonish, Nova Scotia
www.evolvefestival.com
Yep, I've done it before on the way to Florida.

You will get weird looks though.

MC name = Bearrorism
Are you bringing anything else? Cuz if you are (hand luggage-wise I mean), you might need to pay a bit extra. If it's by itself with you, it should be okay.
Quote by frusciante_man1
cakemonster..you are truly my hero
HONK
Quote by DeSean
HONK!I like your cake.
Quote by olif8
And Cakeface, why didn't you sig my

HONK!

from that other thread?

Quote by LordBishek

I can't stand it any longer.

HONK

Honk if you love cake! HONK!!
If it is an electric it should be fine, acoustics may be a bit too bulky.

I have carried my electric guitar as a carry-on on multiple different carriers and on both international and national flights.

Just look like you know exactly what you are doing, go about it like it is something you do everyday and noone should say anything.
I wouldn't check a guitar anyway, you know how brutal some of the luggage people are.

It might help to put bumper stickers of guitar/amp models on the case.
it depends sometimes on how crowded the flight is. if its crowded then sometimes they don't allow you to bring it on. happened to me a few times.
I took my squier with me all the way from Israel to Argentina via Spain.
From Israel to Spain, they allowed me to put it in the wheelchairs room. From Spain to Argentina, they made me put it in the bags compartment over the seats. We were like 5 guitarists carrying guitars lol. It was quite weird to see so much people with guitars on a plane.
So carry it with you. DON'T send it with the luggage since they will rape it. Take it with you and it will be fine.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

my friend bought a seat for his guitar once. He said it worked well except for the fact he had to pay an extra 70 dollars
Quote by timatom90
I'm flying continental tomorrow and the linear length (L+W+H) has to be under 51". My guitar is 57 linear inches in a soft bag... i dont want to check/be forced to check it since im already checking 2 bags, and the third one is $100.

Should i just mail/fedex/ups it instead?

If it fits in the box they use to check then yea you should be fine bringing a guitar as a carry-on. They will most likely open the case to check it out though so if you have a lock on the case be sure you have a key on you at all times for it.

I would not trust any shipping companies with a guitar haha
Quote by urik
I took my squier with me all the way from Israel to Argentina via Spain.
From Israel to Spain, they allowed me to put it in the wheelchairs room. From Spain to Argentina, they made me put it in the bags compartment over the seats. We were like 5 guitarists carrying guitars lol. It was quite weird to see so much people with guitars on a plane.
So carry it with you. DON'T send it with the luggage since they will rape it. Take it with you and it will be fine.

Exactly, if you put it with luggage, it could get severely damaged, and when it comes back around that spinny wheel thing, people could take it.

MC name = Bearrorism
Quote by Gargantuan
when it comes back around that spinny wheel thing, people could take it.

I always stand as close to the beginning on the conveyor belt as possible. Not just because of theft but also because of people who tend to be inconsiderate and throw other luggage out of the way.
ive taken a full sized acoustic on a plane and just put it in the overhead, it was fine

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()
yea dude i just did this a few weeks ago. carry the guitar with you in its case then when you walk onto the plane ask a flight attendent if they can put it in the captains closet and they'll put it in there and give it back at the end of the flight
"Would you tell Picasso to sell his guitars?" - Jack Black

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

my dick is generally better than yours, and is more pleasing to look at and hold.
your dick understands and accepts this, and is willing to just move on.
Ive carried one with me right to my seat and sat with it in a gig bag the whole way there.
I was on a tiny delta flight with about 3 or 4 rows of seats so you should be fine unless the flight attendant is a real bitch, which some are.

I fly up to VA and back once a year, and I took a guitar with me and back one time, and then I bought a guitar in VA and flew it back.

I don't trust those baggage loader guys with my shit, they can be rough.
Quote by el-ECTRO
you again

damn i could've done a much better response for ntchode 'Owner of UGs hugest penis'
if its a electric with a bolt on neck, can't you just unscrew the neck and screw it back on later?
Quote by RU Experienced?
See the FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU- thread, he's a God amongst men.

^^ about me

Confucius once say: "Women is like jazz music, 3/4 jazz time, 1/4 ragtime."

This is my sig, get over it. ಠ_ಠ
The one time I took a guitar on a plane, I checked it in as fragile baggage. I doubt they'd allow it as handluggage. Well, they wouldn't over here.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
I took my acoustic cross country about a year ago. I just politely asked the flight attendant if she could find a place to put this, and bam- no guitar in baggage compartment getting f'd up by other luggage.
"It it best to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open your mouth and prove it."
Quote by xyz66
if its a electric with a bolt on neck, can't you just unscrew the neck and screw it back on later?
thats a good idea actually...
I took the Fernandes Nomad that I bought in Japan back to Canada in the overhead compartment, but it's only about the size of a Guitar Hero / RockBand controller
e|----------5-------7-5h7p5---5--
B|-------5----8p5-------------8---8p5--
G|-5h6-----------------------------------7b9r--p5---5b--
D|-----------------------------------------------------7-----7-7~~~
Speaking of bringing stuff on a plane, I didn't wanna start a new thread about it so, can I bring my hamster on a plane?

EDIT: To TS, yea i think it's allowed, I brought my acoustic on a plane once.
"When I grow up, I wanna be a vampire bat"

Quote by flyerfan834
Call the airline?

I called the airline and they said no, got on the plane and saw a guy take his and put it the overhead.
Quote by xyz66

+1 That's what I thought.

I took my acoustic with me on our last vacation and they said it was too big for the overhead, or that I'd have to reserve a seat for it.
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28