Okay so I've had my jagmaster for a few months, and I might wait a little longer than expected to buy my Mustang (wanna buy a few other things as well)

so I want to UPGRADE my pickups, I like my tone with these pickups but they seam to be a little weak. So I don't wanna change my tone as much as I want to get better quality from my pickups.

The pickups i have are Duncan Designed.

When i use my distortion pedal the neck pickup seems really fuzzy (chunky?), I would like it to be a little more smoother sound (when distorted). When clean I like it, but it seems like it's a little empty (thin?), it also seems like it's too low output . I would like to be able to find something that would make it fuller, and a little warmer.

What I am thinking of : DiMarzio PAF, can distort well, and has a warm / smooth sound, high output? (stores still sell these)?

The bridge pickup sounds pretty good overall, but it sounds really thin with or without distrotion. The cleans seem a little too icy as well.

What I am thinking of : Seymour Duncan JB, it's a very bright pickup, high output, and distorts well.

DiMarzio Superdistortion <--- great distortion for my genre of music, dunno much about the cleans.

These pickups need to sound good with punk & grunge.

I know my amp is shit (random crate SS 15 wat amp), but I notice their faults whenever I plug in other amps as well (fender twin reverb, marshal JCM 9000, Hot Rod Deluxe, and some Taynor)

I will be playing it through a Crate V-50 (getting one in 2 weeks)

Effects pedals

Boss DS-1 (thinking of upgrading to a ds-2)

EHX Double Muff

Dan Electro Fab Flanger (till I can save up for a EHX Poly Flange)

Dan Electro Fab Chorus (till I can save up for a EHX Small Clone)

please post any suggestions you have
Don't upgrade to the DS2, it the same fuzzy crap with more gain. Just save the DS-1 for your nirvana covers.

I'm not too knowledgeable on pups, but if you find the bridge icy you may not want a bright pup to replace it.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
Don't upgrade to the DS2, it the same fuzzy crap with more gain. Just save the DS-1 for your nirvana covers.

I'm not too knowledgeable on pups, but if you find the bridge icy you may not want a bright pup to replace it.

Errr...I'm not sure icy is the term to describe it.... It has a nice pitch, but it just seems really realllllllllllly empty

and my band doesn't play any nirvana covers, i just reaaaaaaally like the DS1, and people on here told me the DS2 can do the same as the DS1, but if i want more gain, it can do that too.
If you can try those pups with your set up then I would try to do that.

I would hold off on the pups until you have your new amp. I know you said that they sucked through other amps, but you should wait for your new amp so you know which direction you need to go to improve your tone, it's hard to do without so good sit down time with that v50.

That being said, if you're using that ds-1 alot, it really gonna cover up the pups you're using quite a bit. Have you considered modding it to keeley specs? It's not that many components and if you can solder its really a snap. I've been thinking about picking one up and trying it.
The JB sounds like everything you don't want for your bridge pup. It's thin and the cleans are extremely sterile.

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
Quote by Kevin Saale
If you can try those pups with your set up then I would try to do that.

I would hold off on the pups until you have your new amp. I know you said that they sucked through other amps, but you should wait for your new amp so you know which direction you need to go to improve your tone, it's hard to do without so good sit down time with that v50.

That being said, if you're using that ds-1 alot, it really gonna cover up the pups you're using quite a bit. Have you considered modding it to keeley specs? It's not that many components and if you can solder its really a snap. I've been thinking about picking one up and trying it.

Yeah I wasn't gonna actually buy any pickups till like mid October, just looking for advice

I really don't understand what you said in that whole second paragraph

Quote by Checker
The JB sounds like everything you don't want for your bridge pup. It's thin and the cleans are extremely sterile.

Really? the reviews I read seemed like it wasn't very thin at all.
Reviews also say that the MG is classic Marshall tone. I find the JB very, very thin. Don't just take my word for it though... I'm sure someone will back me up. In my opinion it is an extremely overrated pickup. The cleans are dismal. They're just like you described, empty and cold.

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
The ds-1 to me seems to kind of cover up the sound of the pickups, so even if you had different pickups then you wouldn't really notice the difference.

Modding the ds-1 to keeley specs is just that, switching out all the components that robert keeley would if you sent the pedal to him and paid him to mod it. If you did it yourself you'd save a ton of money.
Quote by Checker
Reviews also say that the MG is classic Marshall tone. I find the JB very, very thin. Don't just take my word for it though... I'm sure someone will back me up. In my opinion it is an extremely overrated pickup. The cleans are dismal. They're just like you described, empty and cold.

got any suggestions then?
Quote by Swap-Meet
got any suggestions then?

I just put a Duncan Custom 5. It was recommended to me after naming my dislikes of the JB, which were the same as your dislikes of your current bridge pickup. I haven't really had it long enough to recommend it myself though... but it definitely has some meat compared to the JB. Also, if you want to stick with Duncan, the '59 is a nice smooth P.A.F. pickup for the neck.

Also wait till you get your new amp though. Thin, sterile tone can also be a symptom of a cheap SS amp. If your bridge pup sounds good through the v50, you might like the JB. I'm wondering if the current pickup isn't just the Duncan Designed version of the JB...

EDIT: I work at Subway too.

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
Last edited by Checker at Sep 19, 2008,
Completely agree. I've never really found what was so appealing about the JB. People usually recommend it for 80s metal but I don't even like it for that. It's really an anomaly in SD's pickup line, as I love most of their other pickups. Personally I prefer Bare Knuckles or DiMarzios to pretty much anything else. Whatever you do, avoid Gibson pups, they all suck.
the super distortion is a great pup. don't let the name fool you the cleans are pretty good. I would probably put either a PAF Pro or Air Norton in the neck
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
Quote by Checker
I just put a Duncan Custom 5. It was recommended to me after naming my dislikes of the JB, which were the same as your dislikes of your current bridge pickup. I haven't really had it long enough to recommend it myself though... but it definitely has some meat compared to the JB. Also, if you want to stick with Duncan, the '59 is a nice smooth P.A.F. pickup for the neck.

Also wait till you get your new amp though. Thin, sterile tone can also be a symptom of a cheap SS amp. If your bridge pup sounds good through the v50, you might like the JB. I'm wondering if the current pickup isn't just the Duncan Designed version of the JB...

EDIT: I work at Subway too.

UNITED WE WON'T DIE! SUBWAY WORKERS, UNITE!
have a look into bare knuckle pickups if you have the money.
they are handmade and excellent quality. I'd probably suggest something like nailbombs (similar to JB's but without the mid spike, and much better cleans) but drop tim (BareKnuckle's CEO) an e-mail with your style and what you're looking for and he'll e-mail you some suggestions.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by Sonny_sam
have a look into bare knuckle pickups if you have the money.
they are handmade and excellent quality. I'd probably suggest something like nailbombs (similar to JB's but without the mid spike, and much better cleans) but drop tim (BareKnuckle's CEO) an e-mail with your style and what you're looking for and he'll e-mail you some suggestions.

how much do they go for?
they are pretty expensive, probably $300-400 per set, and they are made in england so you may have to pay a bit extra for import duty, buy you really do get what you pay for.
they are head and shoulders above any other pickup maker I have come across

EDIT ->I don't work for them or anything, I'm just a very satisfied customer.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Last edited by Sonny_sam at Sep 19, 2008,
Well...Why are you making a post about it now?
You won't know how your tone is lacking until you get your new amp, and we (meaning the competent users of UG) can't give you pickup recommendations until you can tell us that.

BTW, JB in your jag = bad idea, based on what you said.
And Super Distortion is a great pickup for 80's metal. That's pretty much it.

Last, you should be using your bridge pickup for rhythm, that's why your neck pickup sounds too chunky. I use my neck pickup solos and cleans. Rhythm is all bridge pickup.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well...Why are you making a post about it now?
You won't know how your tone is lacking until you get your new amp, and we (meaning the competent users of UG) can't give you pickup recommendations until you can tell us that.

BTW, JB in your jag = bad idea, based on what you said.

Last, you should be using your bridge pickup for rhythm, that's why your neck pickup sounds too chunky. I use my neck pickup solos and cleans. Rhythm is all bridge pickup.

I use my bridge for solos (cause bridge has a higher output) and ryhthym, but i use the neck pickup for songs that imo sound better with the neck pickups (not just clean songs) except the chunkiness is annoying
Quote by forsaknazrael

I disagree, it excels at 80's metal/70's hard rock, but it is good overall
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
^Right we've gone over this before. It excels at those genres, and sure it can do other ones, but there are other pickups that do those other genres MUCH better. So why bother?

Quote by Swap-Meet
I use my bridge for solos (cause bridge has a higher output) and ryhthym, but i use the neck pickup for songs that imo sound better with the neck pickups (not just clean songs) except the chunkiness is annoying

Maybe you need a coil split or a series/parallel switch installed for your neck pickup.