Is it possible to specifically major in Music Theory and just specialize teaching that at a community college or something? I read you need something like a masters.
I don't know about masters but I've never heard of a theory major.
to teach at a college for music theory while youre learning music theory? i doubt it. but you could just as well take music theory at college then teach it somewhere else, like a music shop or something. dunno about school stuff tho.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
well my community college offers an associate in arts degree-(liberal arts music major) so I do not know what good that would do me...anyone know what I can do with that?
Quote by Appetite_4_GNR
well my community college offers an associate in arts degree-(liberal arts music major) so I do not know what good that would do me...anyone know what I can do with that?

pretty much nothing
you could work at a guitar shop, maybe give lessons, but you won't find a teaching job with that. All the places I know of that offer music theory as a class are large (4A and 5A) high schools and community colleges. The high schools just make the band or orchestra directors teach it, and as far as community college goes, you should ask your teach what he's got. Probably a bachelors.
Well i was thining of getting an A.A at a community college then transfer to get a B.A and I was looking at my state colleges B.A requirements and it says u need to pass a piano exam such as play -
One simple homophonic piece comparable to a first movement from a sonatina by Clementi.
One simple polyphonic piece comparable to one of the pieces in the Anna Magdalena Notebook by J.S. Bach.

and then perform in some enemble i never heard of before. i only play the fkn guitar so now what?lol and i dont know anny classical stuff i only know rock

I was getting that info from rutger mason gross school in newbrunswick nj by the way
Last edited by Appetite_4_GNR at Sep 18, 2008,
If you're looking to teach then major in Music Ed, that's what I'm doing right now. Teaching high school will need at least a bachelor of Music Ed so I'm guessing community college needs a little more.

Quote by Appetite_4_GNR
i dont know anny classical stuff i only know rock

Now's the time to open up your mind a little. I'm more of a rock fan too but I still play in the ensembles and write for them, I don't like it as much but that's what university's like. You can always have classical guitar (or jazz, some schools offer it) as your major instrument but you will need to learn piano.
Last edited by pwrmax at Sep 18, 2008,
if i go for a bachelor in music education then wouldnt i have to take a whole bunch of classes and learn to play a variety of instruments etc right? I was trying to stay away from that and go for bachelor of the arts because it looks as though the classes are more focused on theory and composition. I dont really get which one is better to have though. i was planning on getting a good enough degree to teach theory at a college level and kind of stay away from directing bands etc. like what a high schoool teacher would do
Last edited by Appetite_4_GNR at Sep 19, 2008,
You can get a BA and take only the Music Theory courses but I doubt that can land you a job at a community college. No college will hire you if you say you only want to teach theory, they'd rather have the guy that can teach theory as do other stuff so they don't have to pay as much money.

Getting a bachelor of Music Ed doesn't mean you have to learn instruments well, just the basics and that's a lot easier than it sounds because you don't have to practice your ass off.
You may also want to look into majoring in music composition. In my experience, pretty much any music major will have to 'specialize' in one particular instrument as well as learn at least one more PLUS receive aural/ vocal training as well.

P.S. most of my theory professors, even at the community college level, had doctorate degrees.