I'm trying to get a new part time job because mine sucks, but it will have to be further away from my house and to make up for gas I need to make a certain amount or more. I don't want to apply for this job and then find out I'm making the same amount. Would it be rude if I called them and asked the manager how much they pay?
We spent a lifetime on the
Beaches of Normandy in vain

Quote by poopsmith666
oooh look at me, i'm clincher, internet tough guy

Quote by theBaartMan
When Nostradamus predicted badassery, he spoke of clincher09.

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
i dont think it would be. you have every right to know how much they are going to pay you before you agree to work for them.
certainly not, just as much as an employer is interviewing you to see if they want to hire you, you are supposed to be interviewing them to determine if you would like to be employed by them.

always have questions that you would like to ask a potential employer, such as what will my entry pay be.
Quote by el-ECTRO
you again

damn i could've done a much better response for ntchode 'Owner of UGs hugest penis'
why dont you go there and ask an employee? people ask me all the time at my work
Quote by nincompoop
potcorn56, you are a god.
Yup. Theyll usually already tell you or after they accept you, if you dont like it you leave, or try to get something better.
It's not rude to ask, it is rude to try to negotiate pay with them.

I mean, in any case it's your right to know prior to signing the employment contract.

And it would be within your interests to go into the place instead of calling, because of various privacy laws they may not be able to disclose their pay rate over the phone.
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
Very. Never ask during your interview.
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
So you wanna work there without knowing when the paycheck will show up if it ever will? Sure you can ask that, just don't throw it out there immediatly that'd be rude.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
It's alright to ask them how much they pay, but don't tell them you need to make X amount in a week.
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough
I think it is fair to ask it right away. They know you are there to do a job and get paid.
Quote by ckellingc
puffycow, you rock

Quote by Krieg Commando
Puffycow, you've got mojo

touch me
Maybe just ring em up or go in there or something and say "Hi, I'm interested in the *whatever it is you wanna do* job, I was just wondering before I apply how much the wage is?"
UG's Official Stuffed Toy! Because I am so cuddly wuddly

I LOVE KENSAI
Quote by diminishedtobme
Yup. Theyll usually already tell you or after they accept you, if you dont like it you leave, or try to get something better.

Well I can't be without a job, so I wanted to ask and if it's what I need then I will apply, I'm fairly sure I could get the job.

I think I might just put what I need under the expected wage blank, and hopefully if they call that means that they are willing to pay that.

Quote by poopsmith666

Quote by theBaartMan

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
Yeah, dude ask. I don't see a problem with it. Who would be like "Oh my God!!! You wish to know how much you will get paid?!!! How dare you!!!!"
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Don't ask how much the pay is. This advice was given to me by professional employment agents.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by iTzMaTT
Very. Never ask during your interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrjwaqZfjIY

Quote by Xiaoxi
Don't ask how much the pay is. This advice was given to me by professional employment agents.

Just because they're professional doesn't mean they're not dumbasses. Can anybody who's even the slightest bit reasonable expect someone to NOT care about how much they'll make? That's like landing an awesome job and getting your first check and finding out they only pay a dollar an hour.
You're*
Quote by Xiaoxi

This. Ask them when they call you AFTER the 1st interview.
Apply for the job and in an interview (if you have one) ask how much they pay. If it works out that its not enough and they offer you a job, just say "Sorry I got a better offer".
Quote by clincher09
Would it be rude if I called them and asked the manager how much they pay?
it could be.

timing and tact are everything.

letting your prospective employer know that you don't want to waste his time on an interview with you, if the wages are less than you already earn, could be seen as respectful and considerate.

most entry level jobs have a fixed salary. negotiating is usually unwise. asking the pay rate is not.
you could/should ask before submitting an application.
but if you have already scheduled an interview, any discussion of wages should come after determining if you are a good fit and before accepting the position.

with high level jobs, the interview process is somewhat different.
salary is rarely discussed until the end of the interview, unless the prospective employer offers that information. with a higher level job, there is usually a range of starting salary available, depending of how many of the necessary skills you already possess and what you will need to acquire on the job. if not specifically stated, it's acceptable to ask if the offered salary is negotiable. if so, you can and should ask for more to start, if you think the offer is too low. or at the very least, what kind of advancement is possible soon after starting.

some jobs require a large investment on the part of the employer, in terms of training new employees. in those cases, substantial raises are possible after the training period. i received a 37% raise on one such position, after three months.

bottom line:
you can (and should) ask. just be respectful in the way you do so.
also, be sure to thank the interviewer for their time, even if the salary isn't sufficient for your needs. not often, but occasionally you might get a call with a better offer on the same position if you've presented yourself well in an interview.

good luck.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Thanks. That's a lot of good advice, although I'm not applying for a major job, I'm just applying at Staples.

Quote by poopsmith666

Quote by theBaartMan

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
it technically is rude. normally when an employer interviews you, they tell you how much they're going to pay. it might also be better if you ask them during the interview.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by paintITblack39
it technically is rude. normally when an employer interviews you, they tell you how much they're going to pay. it might also be better if you ask them during the interview.

This is pretty right. Ask at the end I would in case they don't. It's your labour you're giving them, and you have a right to know
no it isnt, ring up, go for interview, and ask there. you can always decline the job if they ring up and offer it to you
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here