Alright I'm looking for a decent guitar for metal/hardcore/metalcore etc. I've looked at some ltd's and some schecters. Specifically the ltd fx 260 and the schecter damien 6. I'm trying to keep it at $500 or below. I don't really know what to look for other than I want emg and no Tremolo. I don't have much experience with metal guitars lol. Any suggestions?
Jeff Loomis

Myspace.com/geneticbydesign
id say any ltd or jackson within price range would be good, for metal they know what theyre doin
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Jackson JS30RR their about $283 with tax in canada and you can buy an EMG-81 for the bridge and away you go, a Guitar Designed by Father Rhoads with a active pickup that works perfect for metal, but is only pretty much limited to metal. Thus why you keep the neck pickup for solo's and clean playing and so-on.
If you grab one of those, Try to get the 2007 model, its made out of Indian Cedro for a more lighter sound and has a aldur bolt on neck with a rosewood fingerboard
I switched my neck out for a Jackson signature shark fin ebony fingerboard alot nicer on the fingers
Last edited by Rtard_GWARRIOR at Sep 19, 2008,
i recommend the Hannah Montanna guitars.

On a more serious note, I never really could understand why people ask about 'metal' guitars...you can play metal on almost anything. Including those Hannah Montanna guitars ROFLMAO. There's a video on Youtube of it....and the hello kitty squiers. So really....there isn't a such a thing as a 'metal' guitar
EMG and no trem? Sounds like a Hellraiser. That's what I'd go for at least. In fact I did. Twice.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
Quote by Soroki

On a more serious note, I never really could understand why people ask about 'metal' guitars...you can play metal on almost anything. Including those Hannah Montanna guitars ROFLMAO. There's a video on Youtube of it....and the hello kitty squiers. So really....there isn't a such a thing as a 'metal' guitar

There is. I've got two strats, an Ibanez les paul copy, and an es 333. They sound nothing like my friends schecter 7 string. Not even close. Adding a shit load of distortion does not make a shitty guitar 'metal'.
Jeff Loomis

Quote by Soroki

he means something thats set up for a good metal sound from the factory... though metal is solely in the player
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Quote by madhampster
There is. I've got two strats, an Ibanez les paul copy, and an es 333. They sound nothing like my friends schecter 7 string. Not even close. Adding a shit load of distortion does not make a shitty guitar 'metal'.

Just like flailing about on the E and A strings doesn't make a death metal guitarist skilled. Lol.
Quote by madhampster

What year of Ibanez LP copy do you have?
Quote by Soroki
Just like flailing about on the E and A strings doesn't make a death metal guitarist skilled. Lol.

If you're not going to saying anything intelligent or suggest something then stop posting.

@Rtard: I'm not sure what year it is. It's a reissue I think.

So the thing with the ltd's is they don't make them with real emg's anymore, they have lh 301's. Do those sound anything like emg's?
Jeff Loomis

Quote by madhampster
If you're not going to saying anything intelligent or suggest something then stop posting.

So the thing with the ltd's is they don't make them with real emg's anymore, they have lh 301's. Do those sound anything like emg's?

they still make ltds with real emgs...
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Quote by LPstudioWRz28
they still make ltds with real emgs...

Not in the afformentioned price range

...unless they're used
Jeff Loomis

Quote by madhampster

?

if its a bolt on theres a serial number on the back the first two numbers on the serial are the year, Ive been trying to prove the connection of Ibanez to Mann being made in the Fujigen factory in Japan and just being used under a different name in the 70's to avoid lawsuits. I have a Mann Lespaul and it was made in 76 with stock Ibanez super 70 anti-fuzz pickups And i use it for playing metal alot, It has a nice thick rich tone. so if yours made in the 70's you have a great guitar for metal right there.
Quote by Rtard_GWARRIOR
if its a bolt on theres a serial number on the back the first two numbers on the serial are the year, Ive been trying to prove the connection of Ibanez to Mann being made in the Fujigen factory in Japan and just being used under a different name in the 70's to avoid lawsuits. I have a Mann Lespaul and it was made in 76 with stock Ibanez super 70 anti-fuzz pickups And i use it for playing metal alot, It has a nice thick rich tone. so if yours made in the 70's you have a great guitar for metal right there.

Mine has a set neck. But no serial number. I picked it up at a pawn shop for 700. It's good for metal don't get me wrong. And I do use it for all my metal needs in my band. But it's very heavy. I'm just looking for a guitar that is cheaper, not as heavy and a bit more cutting tone, less like an lp.
Jeff Loomis

Last edited by madhampster at Sep 19, 2008,
Quote by madhampster
Mine has a set neck. But no serial number. I picked it up at a pawn shop for 700. It's good for metal don't get me wrong. But it's very heavy. I'm just looking for a guitar that is cheaper, not as heavy and a bit more cutting tone, less like an lp.

This may sound weird, but look at epiphones, You may find what your looking for
Quote by Rtard_GWARRIOR
This may sound weird, but look at epiphones, You may find what your looking for

really? I've played alot of epiphones. Could you perhaps point me at one.

Btw I'm looking more at the ltd's any help in narrowing it down would be cool.
Jeff Loomis

Quote by madhampster
really? I've played alot of epiphones. Could you perhaps point me at one.

Btw I'm looking more at the ltd's any help in narrowing it down would be cool.

Well i was looking for a guitar that was more heavy sounding then my jackson but lighter sounding then my LP and i picked up a Epiphone G-400 Goth for $140 and it works perfect, I use it for metal and punk, The other epiphone SG's ive played are more heavier This ones lighter then a normal g-400 doesnt look all that bad either
and some of the first metal Riffs were played on an SG, I've also owned an LTD-EX and it was awesome, till i fell down the stairs and broke then neck in half
Alright thanks for the suggestions everybody. I think i'm just going to end up going witht he ltd.
Jeff Loomis

Ibanez RG321MH and use the extra money to upgrade the pickups to some awesome ones or save for a better amp
Quote by Rtard_GWARRIOR
Jackson JS30RR their about $283 with tax in canada and you can buy an EMG-81 for the bridge and away you go, a Guitar Designed by Father Rhoads with a active pickup that works perfect for metal, but is only pretty much limited to metal. Thus why you keep the neck pickup for solo's and clean playing and so-on.
If you grab one of those, Try to get the 2007 model, its made out of Indian Cedro for a more lighter sound and has a aldur bolt on neck with a rosewood fingerboard
I switched my neck out for a Jackson signature shark fin ebony fingerboard alot nicer on the fingers

Do you know how much of a pain it would be to wire the emg with the crappy passive jackson pickup. The volume drop would totally mess up your playing, and for solos you more often then not want to boost your volume not have a massive drop. My first guitar was a JS30 and its a great guitar for the price but the neck pickup isn't going to give you great clean or solo tones. Otherwise getting a JS30 of some kind and swapping BOTH pickups and maybe the tuners wouldn't be a bad idea at all, and you'd still be under the budget. Otherwise i would say go for a used jackson, can't go wrong with one.
Quote by C-RIS15
Do you know how much of a pain it would be to wire the emg with the crappy passive jackson pickup. The volume drop would totally mess up your playing, and for solos you more often then not want to boost your volume not have a massive drop. My first guitar was a JS30 and its a great guitar for the price but the neck pickup isn't going to give you great clean or solo tones. Otherwise getting a JS30 of some kind and swapping BOTH pickups and maybe the tuners wouldn't be a bad idea at all, and you'd still be under the budget. Otherwise i would say go for a used jackson, can't go wrong with one.

Ah right. i have the EMGZW-81 85 combo. I was going to say i never noticed a volume drop when i switch pickups. But yeah.I thought i left the Jackson CV pickup in the neck. I guess it would be a pain in the ass to do that, Since the emg has the quick system to it. and the jackson CV's are just well, muddy basic crap pickups. So yeah. Ignore my other comment. I forget what i do to half my guitars. it cost me about . $92 for the new neck. $50 for gotoh tuners, $210 for the EMG's and $50 to have them installed.
Last edited by Rtard_GWARRIOR at Sep 19, 2008,