I'm looking around for a new amp, i really would like to keep spending not too far above $500 aus but if its worth it i will. Mostly for bedroom level stuff, for now at least. I play mostly punk, by which i mean NOFX, Bad Religion, Rancid, Green Day, Pennywise, old AFI ect but also classic punk (the clash) and some ska stuff (Op Ivy, Mighty Mighty Bosstones).

I'm getting an overdrive/distortion pedal for xmas so that should help

I've heard good things about the Laney LC/VCs, any opinions?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Are you from NSW?

Join the club here!
A used ValveKing? They sound like punk machines.

Other than that, maybe a Crate V18.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I'm in the same sit, except metal. I've heard a lot of good things about the Crate V18, maybe it's worth looking into.
Quote by IROBOTInferno
I've never been caught (beating off), but my dad was picking up my gf once and "accidentaly" grabbed her boobs.
Not in Australia. But the Crate is a good choice, since Fletcher Dragge uses Crate amps.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by shadow__666
Not in Australia. But the Crate is a good choice, since Fletcher Dragge uses Crate amps.

wrong, hes uses Mesa Boogie.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Most punk bands use metal amps.

NOFX and Bad Religion use Mesa Dual rects.
A lot of others use Marshalls (JCM and plexis?).

Older bands use more treble then newer ones.

So, I'd recommend a Bugera, Marshall DSL/JCM/JVM, or the Laney VC or LC if you want an older punk sound, or any high-gain/mid-gain amp.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I've got very similar musical tastes I use a Pod X3 live and sometimes a Carvin V3, they'll both get you the sound your looking for but there more than $500 well the X3 is $500 but you'll need sometime to power it so your looking at around a $1,000. But I can reccomend you something thats just as good if not better really down to preference. The catch is finding one close to you unless you trust ebay....Look into Marshall JCM 800's, 900's, and 2000's you can find them from $500 to $1000 its just a matter of waiting for the right deal. Now the 800's you'll probably need an OD pedal to get a solid rythme tone for the more modern stuff like Bad Religion and NOFX. The 900 should be great as is you might still want an OD but you should'nt need it. The 2000's I would say is a last option if your left with nothing else its decent but you can do better. Now your best option would probably be to save a couple hundred dollars more and get a Carvin X100b. $800 new for the combo an Carvin does alot of deals where you can get things for 1 or even 2 hundred less. Now lastly also check out Bugera's there affordable and I've heard nothing but good things about them, and you defiantely would'nt need a pedal so you could put the extra money towards the amp, which is probably the smart thing to do anyways.
I'm gonna go check out as many of them as i can in store today.

Thanks for all the help and ideas!
Are you from NSW?

Join the club here!
NOFX - JCM800s I think
Rancid - JCM800
Green Day - JCM800 (Dookie was recorded at the same studio on the same amp as one of the Rancid albums)

A JCM800 seems like the way to go.
Quote by occub

You sure? I'm pretty sure I read somewhere he uses Crates in the studio.

Anyway, if you want a JCM (or any Marshall apart from a sh*t MG or AVT) you're gonna have to look used.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by RoiBoi
I'm looking around for a new amp, i really would like to keep spending not too far above $500 aus but if its worth it i will. Mostly for bedroom level stuff, for now at least. I play mostly punk, by which i mean NOFX, Bad Religion, Rancid, Green Day, Pennywise, old AFI ect but also classic punk (the clash) and some ska stuff (Op Ivy, Mighty Mighty Bosstones).

I'm getting an overdrive/distortion pedal for xmas so that should help

I've heard good things about the Laney LC/VCs, any opinions?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

The Laneys are pretty damn good, though they will benefit from the boost. The Valveking is alright but it may not have the cleans you need for ska
Quote by shadow__666
You sure? I'm pretty sure I read somewhere he uses Crates in the studio.

Anyway, if you want a JCM (or any Marshall apart from a sh*t MG or AVT) you're gonna have to look used.

Should have worded my response differently and I have seen the Crate add with him, every live show ive ever seen them do was with Recto's.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Quote by cutslikedrugsx
NOFX - JCM800s I think
Rancid - JCM800
Green Day - JCM800 (Dookie was recorded at the same studio on the same amp as one of the Rancid albums)

A JCM800 seems like the way to go.

NOFX use Dual rects.
So do a lot of other bands he mentioned.

Any high-gain amp will work. Or any mid-gain amp too.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
The Laney VC is all I have experience with, but it will give you a nice punk sound with an OD pedal.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
crates are good, and even if its tempting stay away from marshal mgds, thats really all I have to say about that
I just got back from a Pennywise concert, where I stuck around and had a close up view of Fletcher's rig. He had a Mesa Recto (couldn't see if it was a Double or Triple) AND a Crate Blue Voodoo (either the BV150HB or the BV300HB). He had two 4x12 Crate cabinets and two other 4x12 that looked like old Marshall cabs. All of the logos were covered with tape except the Mesa-Boogie logo on the Recto.

He uses a Stage tuner and I think there was a wireless system as well. It's really quite a simple setup
Quote by Simsimius
Most punk bands use metal amps.

NOFX and Bad Religion use Mesa Dual rects.
A lot of others use Marshalls (JCM and plexis?).

Older bands use more treble then newer ones.

So, I'd recommend a Bugera, Marshall DSL/JCM/JVM, or the Laney VC or LC if you want an older punk sound, or any high-gain/mid-gain amp.

WRONG NOFX Guitarist uses a Mark iv look on mesa's website they have an interview with him so if you want NOFX's tone you need to get a mesa.

Don't take my word for it take Eric Melvin's word.
http://www.mesaboogie.com/gallery_artist/video/ericMelvin.html
Last edited by Darkice at Apr 15, 2009,
Quote by occub

he actually uses Crate amps now. he is endorsed by them...he used Mesa Boogie in the 90s and early 2000s. i think he still throws a Mesa Dual rec on stage from time to time

NoFX uses Mesa Boogie Mk IVs and im not sure what El Hefe uses..im pretty sure he uses older Marshalls.

Bad Religion uses Marshall JCM900s and Mesa Mk IVs as well. the NEW 3rd guitar player uses Dual Recs
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
Marshall JCM900 2100 SL-X
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
Last edited by HouseBoy83 at Apr 15, 2009,
i would suggest a Laney 50gL or 100gL, Marshall JCM800 or 900, Mesa MK IV( pricey used)
Mesa MK IIC+, Peavey 5150 II, mesa Single or dual rect.
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
Marshall JCM900 2100 SL-X
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA