Final !mpact
Banned
3,258 IQ
I have a few friends who play guitar/drums however i would feel like a tool if i said "Hey wanna start a band?"

How would you ask them?
Symmetry4321
517 IQ
Just that, say something along the lines of:

"Hey i want to start a band, it would becool if you were a part of it"

Just make sure it's simple and you don't sound too fused if people say no
JOhkonut
74 IQ
Quote by Final !mpact
I have a few friends who play guitar/drums however i would feel like a tool if i said "Hey wanna start a band?"

How would you ask them?

well u gotta get to know them first... then just say like, hey you play guitar, right? wanna start a band?
HighPotency
Banned
306 IQ
Well that's what i did. I got a drummer who wanted to and now i have a guitarist. Now we just need to find a singer (thats the hard part).
Aussie_skater
77 IQ
just ask em to jam sometime
if it sounds good say hey we should start a band
Boxing Kangaroo Of The Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only.
24fRETSoFfURY
Lord Gavus
503 IQ
Quote by Symmetry4321
Just that, say something along the lines of:

"Hey i want to start a band, it would becool if you were a part of it"

Just make sure it's simple and you don't sound too fused if people say no

Something like this. Nice and simple. Just be casual about it.
Or you could ask them if they wanted to jam and just play some songs you all like. Then if that works ask them if they want to do something more serious.
Spark1284
244 IQ
who cares if u sound like a tool, i always feel honored when people want to play with me. but when i bring it up its usually in a convo about music and i just go you know we should really jam together. make it a habit and in a few weeks just be like we should make this official and be a straight up band. ud want to jam with them before u commit anyway truuuuusssst me
MYSELF INFLUECE I

soo much n00bage
Quote by xX Maverick Xx
sorry to bust everyones bubble but lamb of god arent "hardcore" theyre death metal, and therefore metal.
AwesomeDrummer
Sarcasm is for winners.
1,519 IQ
Quote by HighPotency
Well that's what i did. I got a drummer who wanted to and now i have a guitarist. Now we just need to find a singer (thats the hard part).

Big bit of advice here, make sure you take this on board.

Do not pick a close friend of yours, unless you know for sure he/she is awesome. Seriously, my old band needed a singer, and my mate thought he was decent, sent me a small recording of him singing, and then coz i thought it was decent enough, i said that was kool. Turned out this kid not only had no idea about pitch, but was also very self-conscious, and was too embarrassed to sing in front of us. After i think 2 jams, then he started to sing in front of us and i decided i'd made a big mistake. It took forever for us to get rid of him, and we did, but in the end we remained friends for some ****ed up reason.

Also, if you can't find a singer by a few months, see if either you or the other guitarist can sing, or could learn to. I'd say the drummer could, but i know that anything more than backing vocals is quite difficult for drummers. 5 things to do at once is just ridiculous...
Regression
611 IQ
Who cares, whenever people have asked me they have just been like, 'hey wanna play guitar/keyboard in my band', to which I've replied no, simply because I don't want to be in a band atm, but I thought nothing of it. I didn't think, man, what a tool.
shadesofanger
UG'S PIMP
223 IQ
You smoke pot? Do they smoke pot? Get high with them and at the right moment yell out...

"d00d WE SHOULD START A BAND LOLOLOLOLOLOL"
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
angl2k
232 IQ
grow some balls and ask it straight up

just tell them what kind of band you're starting and ask them if they want to join. nobody will think you're a tool if you ask. if they do, they're assholes anyway

if i'm asked to join a band i consider it a compliment

also, dont be an ass when they refuse, be cool and look for other people
Main gear
  • ESP Eclipse II Standard (BK Cold Sweat)
  • ESP Horizon NT-II Standard (SD '59/JB)
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo
Last edited by angl2k at Sep 19, 2008,
Dunjma
R.I.P Jeff Buckley
418 IQ
you: "hey, dude, you wanna start a band?"
them: "yea, k, sounds cool"
or, them: "na man, i'm already in a band/not really wanting a band atm"
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.
264 IQ
Quote by Aussie_skater
just ask em to jam sometime
if it sounds good say hey we should start a band

This.

It's important to properly check someone out and make sure your playing styles are compatable and also that you can get along with them personaly.

If all goes well, and if everyone feels comfortable, you probably won't even need to ask them.
ScottB.
▘▘▘`
989 IQ
do you want to start a band?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
gorkyporky
I like pie.
3,732 IQ
If you actualy know any people that you want in your band then you are lucky. Just ask "Hey, do you wanna make a band?"
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
BluMetalPlayer
345 IQ
ask to jam first because if you ask them to play in a band and then they suck, you have a problem because its much harder telling someone your having second thoughts about them in the band .
Spambot_2
UG's rum aficionado
1,824 IQ
Ask around

Last time, I went to a guy who I knew was a keyboard player and it basically went like
-"Hey, I'm Luca, and I have this idea for a project. A friend of mine told me you're a keybord player, and I'd really like you (and need you hehe) to be a part of it!"
-"Hi, nice to meet ya! I don't really know about the music, it's a long time I don't play"
I asked to the guy next to him if I should have insisted,he said that his friend was just a bit shy and that I should have insisted, so I did it trying not to be annoying and he said yes.

I guess there's no wrong way of asking, as long as you're friendly and not annoying.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
soundgarden6742
162 IQ
Starting a band right off the bat with someone is a big commitment, it's like getting married before you guys ever went out.

Tell them "Hey I play music, and you guys play music too. Let's play some music together."
or more simply "Let's jam"
Sleaze Disease
UnBanned
420 IQ
If you fear something as insignificant as how you're perceived when asking someone to simply join a band, then maybe you're not mature enough to be in a band just yet.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.