Hey everyone!I want to buy a 4-string bass guitar,with price around 1200$...I play progressive metal,but I don't wantmy bass to sound lke a typical metal bass guitar...Do you have any suggestions???
Don't get a typical "metal" bass and go for something with a really unique tone eg. squier pete wentz sig.......... the tones so great it doesn't even need a tone knob!!!!

Ok that last part was a joke... I'd say go for something which you feel is versatile, dont limit yourself to one specific style of music. You can get good metal tones out of just about any bass depending on how you eq. it
Warwick Thumb - ibanez SR / Prestige - Schecter Omen / C4 - MusicMan Stingray - Peavey Grind and for double your budget.... Modulus
Id go with the Warwick or Ibanez ^
CANNIBAL CORPSE

When the silence is gone, what have we become?
Quote by Deplorable
Fender Jazz, but don't get a Mexican one!!!

whyy?
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Quote by Deplorable
Fender Jazz, but don't get a Mexican one!!!

The Mexican basses are sometimes just as good if not better...

Half of your tone comes from your fingertips. Try stuff out.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
I checked out the Warwick Thumb but I find it too expensive...What about a Warwick Corvette???
No one's mentioned Spector, so I will.

I'd love to have that budget--go down to the music store and try everything in that budget. That's a good 2 hours at my local. There is such differences in playability and tone in that price range that you are literally going to be faced with a feast of choices. And try a few above that range--the used market is heating up again and you can find some great deals right now on higher end instruments.
I live in Greece,and here for some unexplained reasen,that prices are a bit higher than every other europoean country...So I search for instruments in the net...Also here there is a man tha builts handcrafted basses with prices tarting from 1000 euro...Should I also check out his basses???
sure. walk into his shop, be respectful, and start playing one after asking permission. I pissed off one guy by just playing his handmade bass so much he refused to sell me any of his strings.

and also, G&L, Fender, Ibanez, and definitely Warwick.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Hell_Cat666
I checked out the Warwick Thumb but I find it too expensive...What about a Warwick Corvette???

The Corvettes are just as well built as the Thumbs, however they have slightly different features, and I find the thumbs to have a slightly rounder tone, while the tone of the corvettes is massively influenced by the body wood.

The Ash bodied ones have a very bright sound with a high midrange growl.

The bubinga bodies give a much heavier sound, with a deeper growl, while still retaining plenty of clarity.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I would say get a musicman stingray or spector rox 4 i think there both good bass's and look into some ibanez 5 strings.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by anarkee
No one's mentioned Spector, so I will.

I'd love to have that budget--go down to the music store and try everything in that budget. That's a good 2 hours at my local. There is such differences in playability and tone in that price range that you are literally going to be faced with a feast of choices. And try a few above that range--the used market is heating up again and you can find some great deals right now on higher end instruments.

This

I can't get enough of Spector. Try one out though and see how you like it. The necks are slightly thicker though, if that's a problem.
Quote by thegiaco2112
check the schecter stilletto series, the spector bass, yamaha basses are really good specially the trb series

and then he made the Attitude bass, and he saw that it was good...
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by thegiaco2112
praise the lord for making THE ATTITUDE BASS TESTIFY TESTIFY !

who cares about the sin thing? we can thump and rumble at the same time! THANK YOU LORD!!!!!!!!!!

ok, I'll refrain from further spam now...
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard