I was all set on getting this guitar when a little fly told me that their unplugged sound is a bit on 'meh' side.

Now, is this a con extended to every model, or just the cheap ones, or the shallow-bowled ones, etc.?
the shallow ones suck imo. get the deeper ones and they don't sound to bad. not a true fan of those plastic bodied things anyway. but deeper is better
All my guitars are old enough to buy beer, are You?
I love their plugged in sound, but I do find their unpluggedness sometimes lacking in the lower end models. Consider an Electro-acoustic dreadnought?
Quote by LordBishek
I love their plugged in sound, but I do find their unpluggedness sometimes lacking in the lower end models. Consider an Electro-acoustic dreadnought?

Hm. At what model does their 'low-end' end and 'high-end' begin?
Quote by Always-Ben
I was all set on getting this guitar when a little fly told me that their unplugged sound is a bit on 'meh' side.

Now, is this a con extended to every model, or just the cheap ones, or the shallow-bowled ones, etc.?

shallows are just garbage
mids are still a bit iffy
deeps are "ok" but not amazing.

This is what I find for all ovations IMO. Ovation are definitely good sounding plug in guitars though. I can't deny that at all. Acoustically though.. I just cant stand them. The low end strings are always very blunt and flat sounding.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Ovations are close to the top of the pile out of all the big names makes for plugged in sound. Unplugged, though, their steel strings are weak, tinny, and thin, and the nylon strings are flat and uninspiring.