Yep, another amp thread, I know

Anywho, after leaving my old band and taking some time off from being in bands for a while, I'm back in one, and I'm finding more to be desired out of my current setup. I'm currently running a Peavey Windsor head through a 2x12 cab, and use a digitech Bad Monkey as a gain boost. While I love the thing, I find that the the OD pedal with a mid-gain amp approach just isn't quite cutting it for me for the music I'm playing (metal). It sounds heavy, raw, and chunky, but the OD pedal is kind of just like an extra layer of distortion on top of the amp distortion, and it really shows when I do pinch harmonics and such.

Now, enough of my tone dillema, I'm looking for some amp suggestions! I am considering selling the Windsor, but regardless, I'm looking for something I can pick up for oh...I dunno. Maybe around $500-$800? (for just a head). I will likely go the used route, or get the hook-up from friends at GC

Anywho, as you may have figured, I'm mainly looking into changing to a high gain amp, so I can do away with relying on a pedal for the gain I want. An extra channel would also be nice, seeing how I only have one right now. Here are a few things I've considered tracking down.

Mesa Boogie F-50 head
Peavey 6505/5150, or JSX
Carvin MTS 3200

I need to play through these again, but I'm definitely open to suggestions. Versatility is a plus, but I mainly need a good high gain tone for metal (melodic death metal, metalcore, thrash mainly, but a bit of all sub-genres), and a relatively good clean tone to boot. Thanks for any help!
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
i have an engl screamer combo, and i think it would fit you great it comes as a head too. If you want even more, you can go for the Engl Powerball.
at least check em out.
I would look into Bugera heads. I have not played one yet, but have heard that for the price they are comparable to 6505's and other "metal amps". If you can spare the extra cash get a 6505+, they are great for what you are looking to play.
Quote by jborden07
I would look into Bugera heads. I have not played one yet, but have heard that for the price they are comparable to 6505's and other "metal amps". If you can spare the extra cash get a 6505+, they are great for what you are looking to play.

Only listen to the last sentence of that.

A used 5150 or 6505+ blows Bugeras out of the water. After all, that's what they're trying to emulate.

Personally, I like all of your ideas. A 6505+ or an F-50 are your best bets, in my opinion .
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Your idea seams the way to go. The 5150/6505 idea, either one should do you good. You should deffinatly try each out though, there more different then people make them out to be.
I've heard mixed reviews of whether or not the MTS will do metal.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Oh, snap. I forgot about the relatively good clean tone thing. That's the F-50. The cleans on the Peaveys leave something to be desired, in my experience.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Thanks guys!

Yeah, I'd love the thought of something like an ENGL, Framus, or Soldano, but alas, that's just out of my price range. I saw a craigslist ad around me for a Powerball head, but they wanted $1600 for it. Other than that, ENGL seems to be hard to come by around here in the states :/

I'd love to be able to find an F-series amp to play out of again, but I never see them around anymore...maybe they're just that damn good for the money, lol
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

If you could go for a 6505+/5150II that would be good. The JSX is a great amp but I don't know if it can quite do the super heavey modern metal. Look at perhaps an ENGL Screamer
Take a look at the Traynor YCS and YCV series amps. They could be axactly what you are looking for.
i would think that the krank revolution would do the job since it has great cleans and not an overly gainy overdrive channel.
ESP LTD F-414FM
ESP LTD F-415FM
ESP LTD B5-E
Ibanez SRX355
Ibanez SRA505
Ibanez BTB775PB
SWR 750X
SWR Megoliath 8x10 Cab
Btw, you can also pick up ENGL Fireballs for $800 used, sometimes even a little lower.
Not sure if that's fit your needs, but they do metal and the cleans are pretty good.
Quote by caraluzzo
Btw, you can also pick up ENGL Fireballs for $800 used, sometimes even a little lower.
Not sure if that's fit your needs, but they do metal and the cleans are pretty good.

Really?
Where could you find one for that?
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60