Hi,
yeh im trying to alternate pick ,up and down, using medium pick, and i do it but whenever i upstroke mainly the pick always gets stuck
is there a way of holding the pick or is it the way you pick it?
Practice slowly, learning to alternate pick(although it seems easy) is one of the hardest things for a beginner to go. Just slowly practice alternate picking on every string, do a little exercise like

e|...........................................................................1..2..3..4|
B|............................................................1..2..3..4...............|
G|............................................1..2..3..4...............................|
D|..............................1..2..3..4.............................................|
A|...............1..2..3..4............................................................|
E|1..2..3..4..........................................................................|

using up and downstrokes, this excercise isnt exactly musical (just chromatic scales) but practice slowly , with a metronome preferably, and you'll soon get it.
no, you just need to practice - things take time to get the hang of. Start trying to apply alternate picking in any songs you already know.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
its just practive man......try a low gauge, flexible pick .....and slow practice alterantive picking....we 've all been there .....push on....this phase will soon pass!
just practice that ^ over and over and over and over and over and over . . . . .

shouldnt really matter too much about the pick once youve practiced this stuff

also do this

instead of doing 1.2.3.4 through the strings, do 1.2.3, on the 1.2.3.4 exercise if you start with a down stroke on 1, then every time you go to the next string it will start on a down stroke, whereas with the 1.2.3 exercise every time you change string it will be on a different stroke

eg 1.2.3.4

E. \/1 /\2 \/3 /\4
A. \/1 /\2 \/3 /\4
D. \/1 /\2 \/3 /\4
and so on . . .

eg 1.2.3

E. \/1 /\2 \/3
A. /\1 \/2 /\3
D. \/1 /\2 \/3
and so on . . .

its a good exercise that really improves your string transitions, also on the same principle, this one is slightly more practical

E. \/1 /\3 \/4
A. /\1 \/2 /\4
D. \/1 /\3 \/4
G. /\1 \/2 /\4
B. \/1 /\3 \/4
e. /\1 \/2 /\4

that will help your shred runs out, just do them a few times a day during your practicing, you will eventually start to notice a great improvement in your picking technique. hopefully that helps.
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
Yeah.. Just to restate the fact.. It's the secret of practice, I went through this phase, and it sucked, but with practice it passed.. I found just repeadtively picking the one string rapidly up and down helped my arm get used to the action, then playing scales using alternative picking helped me complete it.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
oh, and as been stated, start slow and gradually build your speed, it may seem tedious but it works!
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
It's indeed just a matter of practice, but I never got stuck with my pick.
Remember to use the tip of the pick and always try to make the picking motion as small as possible.
Do some scales slowly, making sure you alternate pick on each stroke. Trust me, I was just like you, and I kept on with the alternate picking, and it's second nature now, really.

Also, another thing, don't hold the pick parallell to the strings... twist it horizontally a little bit. The curved edge of the pick goes over easier than if you go in flat.
i started alternate picking first lesson i had properply, so bout a month after i started, n my teacher just gave me the 1-2-3-4 on each string up n down and now its just second nature, do it for everything XD
I believe EJD meant not to hold the pick like | | (The first line being the pick, and the second being the strings), but rather / | (The pick now is at an angle).
That technique does help a lot.
Quote by enigimatic
i started alternate picking first lesson i had properply, so bout a month after i started, n my teacher just gave me the 1-2-3-4 on each string up n down and now its just second nature, do it for everything XD

exactly. First lesson I ever took, the first thing my teacher told me was no matter what I teach you when it comes to scales you will alternate pick. It became second nature very quickly.
Quote by MAYNARD
Easier to pick fast if the you get heavy picks.

+1

And I find if you get a smaller "teardrop" style pick, such as Dunlop's Jazz III, then that should aid you - providing you like the smaller picks.
Quote by CoBRaGe
I didn't need practice for that at all...

Good input, I'm sure that helped him a lot.

Obviously practice is really the only way to get down your alt picking, I started off by playing that well known surf riff on the low E string
0-2-3-5-7-8-11-8-7
Then from there just practice simple scales going across every string until I got the rhythm down.
Quote by AluminumOxide
Cobain killed himself before he learned to play guitar.

Gibson SG Special
Schecter C1-Plus
I learnt alt. picking with Sweet Child o' Mine and Ain't talkin bout love.
There's a point where it comes naturally
aint talking about love is a good song for AP practice, the string skips in the main licks force you get good at it or the song wont sound good!
- Jimi Hendrix

- Mitch Hedberg
Quote by Zeds.Ded
aint talking about love is a good song for AP practice, the string skips in the main licks force you get good at it or the song wont sound good!

and for palm muting, that song did wonders for me
Still remember when I started learning alternate picking, had been playing alredy for 3 months and I had been using downpicking all the time expect for various chord strumming patterns.Sso it was a real pain in the ass learning a new picking technique, but I started with playing the blues scale and playing the chromatic scale and such. I also played some easy licks and stuff, but it felt like relearning to play the licks again, though now I'm used to it , been playing for a little more than year now.
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah