basically i have a desicion to either get a teacher and play like $50 a month(my parents pay the other half) or go without and contiuing learning by myself. The money i pay for the teacher could be used for a new guitar, amp, pedal ect.

ive played off and on for mabey 5 months or so, but now i am practicing everyday

should i become proficient without one and focus my money on new gear
or should i get 1 and get less gear

what are the pros of getting a teacher?
Teachers are good at teaching theory and technical stuff. I'd say a teacher is good for a few months to learn some guitar techniques, but in my experience teachers limit you for what you play.
get the teacher, having new gear is great but not if your shit.
theory is an amazing tool to have at your disposal and a teacher will stop you forming bad habits.
id say the teacher. atleast for a few months. you will have plenty of time down the road to buy new gear....besides christmas is coming!
My Rig

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Honey Burst
Fender MIM Stratocaster Ash Natural
Crate v18 2x12
Eleven Rack
Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret
BBE Sonic Stomp
BMP with Tone Wicker
Dunlop Cry Baby
I taught myselfso I'm gonna say no teacher for the moment. If you've got so far and think you're doing well then keep going.
Yamaha 503TVL
Yamaha Pacifica
Squier Tele Custom II
Crafter bass
Cube 60
Kustom 2x12
ok but like

couldnt i just teach myself theory and technique?

i can see why you would need to fix bad habits
It varies with different people.

Some people like learning new stuff on their own while others like to be taught. Money shouldnt deter you. It only depends on which style you are comfortable with.
Not getting a teacher when you can is ****ing stupid.

Sure there are awesome guitarists who are self taught but not everyone is cut out for that.

What are the pros of being self taught as opposed to having a teacher ALONG with self teaching yourself when you're not in lessons?

You can say you taught yourself without any help and accept how good you are.

OR

You can accept the help while you can and become a better guitarist because of it.

I don't understand why some people think taking lessons will mold them a certain way...

Take advantage of the fact you can get extra help. ABUSE THE EXTRA HELP lol. Because the only thing it's going to do is help you and add to your knowledge and skill.
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
^+1
Getting bad habits fixed early is also very important. Some habits can lead to wrist/forearm damage, which is something you don't want. Also, fixing some habits will make it easier to learn certain things.
I see

the most importaint reason for me to get a teacher would be to fix bad habits

yeah its possible for me to get one
but then id be paying like $400 a year...
and i wouldnt really be able to get any new amps or pedals or anything
cause i really wanted this line 6 spider 3

but now im confused again lol
Quote by nin3donian
I see

Get a teacher/lessons. I am.

Knowledge stays with you forever. You can always buy a new amp,guitar, pedal when need be.

Knowledge and skill>material

for this situation.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
I learned on my own for about a year and a half, then I got teacher and then I actually started to learn.
Kit:

Tanglewood TW28STR
PRS Soapbar SE II
Epiphone LP100

Roland Cube 30x (New!)
Quote by nin3donian
I see

Just get the teacher.
Quote by Ze_Metal
Just get the teacher.

^^^
This

...how did I miss that....

lol
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Alright, heres my whole view on everything. I've been playing for a few years now, I don't consider myself great, but I think I'm pretty descent for how long I've been playing. I'm a complete gear *****, theres always new things I want all the time. When I first started playing, the gear I wanted was actually not the best gear, just what I heard other new people talking about. Right now, I wish I could take back alot of the things I've puchased in the past, because after learning about new amps, studying all different guitars/amps/effect, and having a better ear for music, I realize I could have made better choices in the past. Although I don't regret buying things completely, because it made me realize what I don't want, I still think I should have taken more time to look into the product.
I'm not telling you not to get a Line6 spider, but I am saying that you'll want something new after you start to progress as a musician. The things you may think aren't any good right now, you may begin to like in the future after learning how to use and tweak certain things.

Now, as I've said, I've been playing for a few years now. Just recently, July, I decided I would take guitar lessons and see if they work for me. This was my first time ever getting one-on-one training with anybody, but I thought it'd be work a shot. After the first lesson I got to know my teacher a little more, and we went over some things for him to see what level I'm at as a guitarist right now. I found a good teacher, one who knows all different types of music I'm interested in learning, and he listens to all the same music as I do, so it's easy for us to relate when we're improvising, or just going over different techniques. I find it alot more comfortable after finding out that we're close in age (He's 21 & I'm 17) and he knows some dudes that I've jammed with in the past. In the past 2 months now, he's given me alot of work, shows me everything I want to know, teaches me some theory that I don't know about, and answers all the questions I want. Now, in just the past 2 months, I feel I've gotten better then I did the whole first half of this year. It's really opened up my mind to things that can be done on the guitar, and he's there to show and help me every step up the way with things I feel are difficult to do on my own.

What I'm saying is, I know you want new gear and everything, but what good is new gear if you can't play well? If you put your money towards a teacher, a good one that you can relate to, I believe you'll move on to the next step of being a musician, this way when you buy new gear you'll sort of feel as if you deserve it. Atleast, that's how I feel about things. If you can manage to find a good teacher, you're technique, overall playing and the way you look at things will become overall better then they are now. So in my honest opinion, I think you should put your money into having a good teacher. Alot of people on here will tell you that having a teacher is only good to learn theory, but really, it'll open your mind and help you explore all new things with the guitar.

Good luck with whatever it is you choose to do.
Listen Dude, DONT be a screw-up like me.

I had the chance to get a teacher and i said no because i wanted to be self taught.I am in a band now and have been playing for 1 year now.You could say that im good but im really not,If i had said yes to the teacher,i wouldve been a much better rythym guitarist than i am right now.

Get The Teacher Now!
SIG
yup.
thanks caraluzzo i appriciate the insight
(must have took awile to type lol)

Yeah the more i have been thinking about it it would be better to get a teacher, because it does have better long term benefits. I got a b-day in october and christmas coming up, so i guess it would be a good idea to wait on the gear.
Im still gonna get some pedals tho lol.
Hell yeah dude, awesome choice.
And yeah, it took a little while to type, I have the habit of typing alot.

With a B-day coming up you should be set, plus christmas is soon.
I have to say though, I would give the Spider a second thought. It is good for practicing, but once you play some good amps, you'll wanna get rid of it. Maybe go try a bunch out, find something that sounds good to you. Pedals don't sound to good running through the Spider either, incase you weren't sure.
My B-days in November, so I know how you feel. I'll have a new amp by then, so I'm hoping to get some more gear as well.