I have a question to ask about my rights as a Canadian, but am also curious if this flies in the States, as well!

I was outside a big music fest, talking with a friend on the street who had open booze, and a cop came up. He made my friend pour it out, gave him a $100 drinking ticket, and then made another few friends and I pour out our unopened bottles of booze (prolly around $60 worth that we had bought just MINUTES before this happened ), despite the fact that we were not drinking, and just stopped to talk for a sec with Douchebag. Would this count as unlawful search and seizure?

Me and my friends are curious to know if the cops were legally allowed to do this, in case it happens to any of us in the future. If you aren't sure, would you know of some kind of "rights" forums where I could ask this?

Thanks!!
It would depend. If you were carrying just bottles, whether unopened or not, that is not prohibited. If you had the bottles in bags, such as a backpack, trackbag or even something like a grocery bag, I would say you got one of those cops that just likes to make people like that a little less happy.
Were you 21, and in the States, he could NOT have made your pour out the unopened alcohol. In most counties, he could have made your friend pour his open booze out—but it all depends on where. In Las Vegas for example, you can walk around with a beer.. I think.

Possibly because it was outside the venue, and on a public street the cop was within his statute of limitations. Then again, you Canadiens (yes, I spelled that right.) have funny laws. I'm still surprised that you're really a country.. I jest. I kind of. Much love to our moose-eared neighbors to the North.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
yeah, as long as the person drinking is of age, and it isn't near a school or anything, he was being a ****ing prick.

COMEDY! PROGRESSIVE! PUNK!

Quote by darkrikku

MY SETUP
ESP Ltd. F-100FM
DiMarzio PAF Pro DP151
John Pearse #2500 Strings
Crate GTX65
Behringer Ultrastack BG412H
AFAIK, in the States, you're not allowed to walk around with an open container, so I think it's legit for him to make your friend pour his out and fine him. As for pouring out unopened bottles, that's bullshit.
Well in you where in Quebec, you shoulda kick that cop's ass. If you where anywhere else, then he has the right to.
Quote by KurtCobain9898
Well in you where in Quebec, you shoulda kick that cop's ass. If you where anywhere else, then he has the right to.

Whurd.

Well the cop had reason to believe that all your booze was being consumed in the street and that you were doing "wrong."
Here in North Carolina, it was legal to have an open container in a CAR, so long as one was only a passenger. That only changed a few years back.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that if one of you is drinking in public, they have the right to make you pour out the rest. They're probably assuming that you're planning on drinking it all in public. At least the fine was only 100. I got nailed for 200 for being drunk in public, and I didn't even have anything on me.
Quote by Doooooooooom
Here in North Carolina, it was legal to have an open container in a CAR, so long as one was only a passenger. That only changed a few years back.

Funny story onetime when i was at college. A friend of mine had come up from a military base to hang out and one of his friends was trying to find us. He had made it to the college but wasn't sure how to find us. I was trying to explain to him and was getting nowhere. Finally when he does get to us it made perfect sense why he had a hard time understanding. He had a half thing of rum that he said he had started drinking halfway from the base to the college. (about 2-3 hour drive i think) Then he got busted walking around the dorm halfs by our RA for having it out. (only drink in your room) At least she was nice though and didn't make him throw it out, but then our RAs had been known for letting people smoke pot in their rooms also.
My understanding is that here in Canada, you are not allowed to walk on the street with a visible booze container. That is why at the liquor shop they put them in bags and things like that.

If you were walking with an unopened bottle of beer in public, I am pretty sure the cop has the right to do what he just did.

My advice -> never have a drink in your hand in open public, whether opened or unopened.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Your "Canadian drinking rights" ? hahahahaha

Open containers of alcohol are generally illegal within 2000 feet of most establishments around here. Also it is usually illegal to drink on the streets as well. Some towns don't mind and allow it but most don't. I imagine Canada must be the same way if he made you pour your shit out.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by gibsonpenguin
^At my college, a lot of times in the spring and the beginning of the fall/end of the summer when it's nice out, a group of student-rented townhouses will throw "block parties" which are basically just these massive parties. I was at one and there were 4 police officers standing in the parking lot right outside the townhouse. They didn't say or do anything, until somebody tried to leave the front yard/walk away through the parking lot with a beer, and then they went and talked to him. I walked right by them drunk and all they did was ask me how my evening was.

Yeah, where I live large block parties are thrown as well. Generally a certain area is blockaded off and you are allowed to drink within that section but you can't leave it with an open container. Cops can't really do shit about you being drunk in public if you aren't being a nuisance.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
you had open drinks in public. therefore the cop had every right to do what he did.
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
Ibanez S470 DXQM
Boss DD-6
Dunlop Original Crybaby