Page 1 of 3
I am just curious as me and my friend were having an argument about which style is more technical overall.

I said metal and he is saying fingerpicking.

Can anyone help me with a rough answer?
Thanks
tapping with you knob
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
^

i always thought classical
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Different people will have difficulty with different things. No style of music is "harder" or "more technical" than another. You can have simple fingerpicking songs, and you can have simple metal songs.

If someone has been playing Metal their whole life tries fingerpicking, they will find it very hard. Somebody fingerpicking all their life may find it extremely hard to grasp the concept of alternate picking.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Quote by Alter-Bridge
Different people will have difficulty with different things. No style of music is "harder" or "more technical" than another. You can have simple fingerpicking songs, and you can have simple metal songs.

If someone has been playing Metal their whole life tries fingerpicking, they will find it very hard. Somebody fingerpicking all their life may find it extremely hard to grasp the concept of alternate picking.

I agree with everything you wrote BUT the bolded text, I believe that even simple classical guitar is quite challenging, more so than nearly everything else.
Classical. Dynamics are much more of an issue that in shred, as well as being able to hit all the notes. There should be a poll.
Quote by fretsonfire74
Classical. Dynamics are much more of an issue that in shred, as well as being able to hit all the notes. There should be a poll.

And it has a very strict code of technique which is very easy to stray from, if you're getting marked by a classical guitar examiner and you just made the switch from electric to classical, you can expect alot of criticism.
Kentucky Bluegrass
Quote by SamuelBirkett
wtf r u say make no sensical

SAVE THE MUDKIPS
DER! DRAGONFORSE STILE MOOSIK IZ HARD! LAWL

classical, definitely, you have to learn to control your picking fingers and move them at roughly the same speed as your fretting fingers, not to mention it requires insane stretches
I ain't racist, but fuck black people! - Michael Richards

Nigga please - Al Sharpton

Nigga please - Me
Classical.

You can Play Shred and Metal and still have less than perfect Technique. A prime example is John Petrucci. My favourite player and one of the best in the world but some aspects of his technique are pretty weak.

If you play calssical on the other hand, you get thrown out for less than perfect technique.
Sig What?
Probably classical or technical death metal. Check out the song lash by lash by spawn of possession, there is a tab for it here on ug.
TechDeath, Classical and:

Quote by gagadude
Kentucky Bluegrass
it truly depends on the artists and ur experiences.

E.G i was practicing at school the other day and some guy walks up to me(he plays guitar poorly) and asks if he can have a go. i let him since im a nice person. he played some finger picking song that may be easy for those who do finger pick. yet i couldn't play it

why? never needed to sharpen my finger picking skills therefore i struggle to play the into to stairway to heaven.

however if u give a classical guitarist a guitar and a pic expect them to start sweeping straight away ur dreaming.
Quote by darkstar2466
Leniency? In the metal forum? This is unheard of. People get massacred here for just walking by.
classical.
New Playlist On My Profile

Quote by chll
i think she's a horny type girl

cuz 1 tym io remember she asked me to kiss her
you're all idiots.

for one metal isnt a style of playing ITS A GENRE.

two metal as a genre has no rules it can be technical or simple as long as its ****ing heavy in some way shape or form

three. OPETH STUPID

now in terms of actual styles of playing im going with fingerpicking (classical/flamenco)
I am me. Live with it.
Certain forms of metal as metal really brings in alot of other influences such as classical and jazz. Also, classical and flamenco guitar are very difficult.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
I think Shred is easier too because you have distortion which makes all the notes ring out better, I think if I'd want to learn either one of those 2 styles Shred would definitely be the easier one.
We are "PSYCHONAUT", Psychedelic/Stoner/Sludge from Belgium.

Check out our recordings and shows here:

BandCamp
YouTube
FaceBook
i always thought playing on a clean setting is easier than distortion.

distortion can be fecked up easier.

anyways classical,shred, tech death, jazz and bluegrass are all pretty technical.
Quote by dragoo-mon
+1 to carcass255, he knows funk will lead the way

Quote by DimebagLivesOn
Pies? You're the drunk one!
Ok thanks for your comments everyone

I was under the impression that metal was influenced by classical.
Bebop.

'nuff said.
"...I escaped into the music. And the music has been my best friend. It has always been a safeguard against life and reality for me..." -Hans Zimmer

"Friends are just your enemies who don't have the guts to kill you." -Steve Peplin
I would say the styles that get to be the most technical are classical, jazz, progressive, shred, and death metal.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Not metal. CHUGGA CHUGGA isn't exactly hard.
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
Classical music is the highest form of art, and the most difficult to master.

But there are so many different techniques and styles in every genre, and they all cross over into different genres, that this question doesn't make any sense.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by Chips-
Not metal. CHUGGA CHUGGA isn't exactly hard.

Say that again?
------------------
Quote by ViperScale

Yeah, it must be difficult if the artist who made it can't play it.

And that's not classical, that's just someone playing a Classical guitar.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by XianXiuHong
You haven't listened to much metal, have you?

Quote by Mky
Say that again?

I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
Page 1 of 3