Ok, I'm new here. I'm just now getting back into playing after a 6-7 year absense. I just bought a Jackson Kelly (Third Kelly I've had now) along with a DigiTech Death Metal pedal. I have read it's basically the same as my old DOD Death Metal pedal. I play metal mostly. Pantera, Slayer, Metallica, etc...

I was going to buy a Line 6 Spider III 75W, but after reading here... I'm second guessing myself. I have right about 300 to spend on an amp... so I wanna get the best sounding/loudest (lol) amp $300 can buy. Any suggestions, please??

Thanks
Nick
go for the 75 watt its not that bad it really isnt its the lower wattage that sucks
go for the 75
Quote by Jackolas
You are my favorite August 08er, sir!

One day, when the time has come,
The truth will shine, we'll never run.
We both know just how feel,
I'm praying to god that this is real.
What about the Crate Flexwave 120W Combo? Is that any good?

I am just really lost. There are so many choices... I want something that will sound good clean, and really awesome through my death metal pedal. I want something really loud when I want it to be... but wattage isn't my main concern. I really need something under $400.
Last edited by Stang8URMPRT at Sep 19, 2008,
Quote by Stang8URMPRT

I am just really lost. There are so many choices... I want something that will sound good clean, and really awesome through my death metal pedal. I want something really loud when I want it to be... but wattage isn't my main concern. I really need something under $400.

Is this for the bedroom or will you be giggin in the future?
No gigging. I have a dedicated room in the basement that I will be setting up for playing, though. So I really don't want to compromise quality and sound.... as long as I stay within my budget of $400.00
OK, 400, jammin in the basement, metal...
So would you buy used gear to get better quality? If so what major city do you live near?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I would suggest a crate, I bought the 120 watt model of the amp and I had no complaints with it. One thing though after about 4 years the input on the amp started to go bad which is a pretty big problem. Same thing happend to my boys amp exact same model and everything, so I don't think it was just one faulty amp. My second choice would be the line 6 I've never owned one.... but they sound sick in guitar center for a reasonable price

-don kappyton
I live in Wichita, KS. I want new, although I know I can get good stuff used. I also will be buying from Guitar Center so I can use my nifty new Preferred Players Card.
if your playin in the basement look into some of the lower price tube amps. i would rather have loud with good tone..............than just loud. you don't need 100 watts to rock a basement.
Well honestly if you buy used you can generally get a lot better gear for your money. If I were you and walked into GC with $400 I would check out...
Peavey Windsor Studio combo, Peavey Valveking 112 combo, Roland Cube 30, Peavey Vypyr, Blackheart Handsome Devil (and a metal muff pedal), and a Crate V18, and anything they have in the used section.

http://wichita.craigslist.org/msg/794158841.html This Delta Blues for $400 is a great amp, not really a metal amp by any means but could be pushed there with the right pedal. I see them sell for $300-$400 so the guy is a little high at $400.
Quote by Stang8URMPRT

Roland Cube 60 is your best bet, don't touch the Spider with a bargepole - they're just about acceptable as a low wattage practice amp but the larger ones are just garbage.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
It seems like everyone on here recommends the Roland Cubes. What makes them soooo much better?
They sound better
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
the Peavey Vypyr is much better than the Cubes
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Quote by bjovi400
the Peavey Vypyr is much better than the Cubes

It's a little early in the Vypyr's existence to go that far.
It sounds excellent, it has all of the most popular amp models, 6505 (rhythm and ultra channels), the XXX (2 channels), Mesa Rec, Deizel, Marshall Plexi, Fender Twin, and a whole bunch more i cant remember now. lol

Each amp model has 2 channels, there are a SHIT LOAD of rack effects, and stompboxes, everything from octive pedals, to tubescreamers, etc. This thing (the 75w) is LOUD. MUCH MUCH MUCH louder than the 75w Spider III (also used to own ) but it also sounds excellent at very low volumes. If you do get the 75w Vypyr, i highly doubt you will use the volume anywhere passed 6. the volume at 2 and 3 in guitar center, lets just say everyone was getting pissed off

And yes it may be early, but from someone who used to own a Cube, the Vypyrs are better.

The only downfall to everything with the Vypyrs is its a bit complicated to use since there are sooo many extras and features. but within a half hour of playing and configuring, you'll see that it is much easier and sounds EXCELLENT for a SS modeling amp.

edit: also The Vypyr comes in a tube model now, 60w and 100w
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Last edited by bjovi400 at Sep 19, 2008,
I went ahead and bought the Peavy Vypyr 75w Combo. I have yet to recieve my shipment from guitarcenter.com but it should be here this week! I will let ya guys now how I think it sounds.

Nick
HNAD
I didn't like the Vypyrs as much but I didn't really try them out extensivley. Which I plan to do on my next GC trip
I have yet to play a Vypyr.

Clypz and pycz when you get yt
Oh are you using a y when you type clips and pics in a thread now? I always remembered you spelling it clipz and picz
You looking for a combo, or a half stack?
If you would happen to have a cab, then I'd suggest picking up a Randall RG100ES, preferably the ones around 86'. You can grab em' off ebay, and they're nice heads. Same head used to record the Cowboys From Hell album. The reason I say around an 86' is because I'm unsure if the ones after that still had the push/pull boost, and I think the push/pull would be very handy for what you're playing.

EDIT-Just realized you purchased a Peavey.
Let us know how you like it.
Quote by imgooley
Y have yet to play a Vypyr.

Clypz and pycz when you get yt

Fyxed

Edyt: To conform to the vypyrness.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Sep 21, 2008,
^I was goyng to do that, but yt looked un-natural, and could have byn confusyng.

Quote by mcrfobtai
Oh are you using a y when you type clips and pics in a thread now? I always remembered you spelling it clipz and picz

The fact that yt's a vypyr ys why I'm using y's.
Quote by imgooley
^I was goyng to do that, but yt looked un-natural, and could have byn confusyng.

The fact that yt's a vypyr ys why I'm using y's.

Ahh, very clever.